Historic Cues. Do you have any?

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was happy to be able to bring these two cues together. Danny Gartner was the New Jersey straight pool champion in 1964 and 1965. I owned his Paradise and stumbled upon the Palmer at the SBE 2018. At the time, I think I was one of the few who knew the significance of the cue. I was able to acquire it some time later and had it rewrapped as it was when Danny played with it.

That is a neat story. I love both, but that Paradise buttsleeve is the nuts!

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of the first cues made by Richard Black. A friend who passed away sold Richard insurance prior to Richard building cues. Richard was a stockbroker and sold my friend stock.

Richard bought forearms from Gus Szamboti. My friend selected a rosewood/rosewood forearm for his cue. It has 4 maple windows in the butt. Flat faced stainless steel joint. Came with two original shafts which have micarta ferrules. Later two longer shafts were added. One with ivory ferrule and one that is LBM. All 4 shafts have matching ringwork.

When Richard started signing cues, my friend took it back to him to add his signature. He refinished the butt and added "Richard Black 1975" in one of the maple windows.

I have another Richard black which has a piloted ivory joint and it was later signed "R. Black 1976. It is a rosewood merry widow with 3 small ivory diamonds in the forearm and 3 larger diamonds in the butt.

I am unable to post pics here but have some pics on facebook.

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing necessarily historic; however, nonetheless, some nice oldie's but goodies cue candy ;)

oYFLrw3_flyRIVSr95oNn_pb29XkIVjP-cb1iPNMkpfRID7aSOK6vO2vswiSf22GDL4k2hCXyOh7gFMuUEfEYM2mFUHpvzHMwJKNWiCwh3y-T03LMbz8nqSOHwKgkebXfmRZSDNlkgSc15F4m__lxT8zSjU4fhwm31Oq6vufIHh8Z-1OFnlWo8gR6bbM_Pe5GWlQWnBLVIrsawUw6rDFg8E1kOcNPBbEmixnfilnx5-vC2frTxp2SIQ9EB47A0mef6RC7iYAs01ajcU4LxGck3OT7CPBwYZ0B6adLtx5JXZs2KQn-zfqNExpCBTUprTWoQkM7jpI-BIlcO-WgFEXnvbcoXUFWGrxloxFoZcymcu3nAPzrMcuIU5INwIX3KgG-WOaedIRmD3mdbavanzjy5HJfok1Bt7xLTvbsT_BpTsRlqW3woGdfGbk3MPNlxnkO6Ebf_d9YB7MkG-2QrP_Ysnuws8yMI4sumk8cU8FHB2_eSHh1X91IXf2mcpXrN7ksHARxaxVb0_N2PMly8sWzu_6HAK7buMXDcbywQ7ft6ujryYsUuaRdMee4iIShW6U_gedHRrMWmTSOURgsBdSiMpSz-9GjpRFB3Ik_ZY7SP4z2rm6zOEsFYeg56iBrNnvPBRDjio5iDp5FchLiDg6mzk7L9awSG5dUn5cu_afueieYGv0uY4Flj5Mtkl5KE0fjDA3VEEtlkRHGQdrRMAE9LaT=w585-h600-no

E0w4ECJ999NrrIhXyQKBayyg_VP0KRUUwgaOmnO_ovg6tZZ1dLv7gVU5XTGiEIvpSsJDdvvt46kXS1-r1ahEAxnZa4Oceq91x5EpsVJygbLNZFSLTmcroIWxRT2pjwl6g9No-htc-DP2J4C1Im96SSJ0ZZx3d6bIseXe245H1OY2uuzU8bd_MbCnhjPhjIAMnDyjuh3qepGyX-ym8OmWtgtsU-rSN39nNEEV-A9oku6lc4eqfgBpthX6CehnDmXAZIaM3bwQU-bBhjtC4uVAF5pG5affXERxtEvsxvxI5z9MW-_I0FG-q8msa2wL6BfED40Cr2ptLKzEejxwIdkwQqPCPKv03BFIi6WPB3iiluQL64J2-HTVcbiLoQgrRBrOIJSfUk5YBZTZWRR5yX4EaYGkuwu2yFTFBdbL1XXn-TxUKXbrAhmPmA6mSJwyuBlvDyFN-FGfXtLkYOjTA0dicq7Na-3iYogZFGpqFsio1JO6c6GBscq0aHaM4pjZtvVEYHaymKnq1Yysr98UYmPgIeUqLZBsfLrvHE-r8Zq7-HNu6U4B2pDgFEFj6xaUw2_as3RWXFVtMUrzs_mILfFUoPxSfIz41FjTpPZpbnbVZhXs_YsuElPMdOVAejXG6ZOodTNvCst7jzWbqq9WAhLF2jlUdxngQHxtOTX_ym4NiT9waC2rEzv6UyJJNVD0GtTy0IR4p_syhUkwo2XPL08fK4Su=w595-h599-no

nd0tUw8zND9Y0qh188dYdrI0JYpW3X6KsYz50iTtMR1frbmdokWywF4HCmqFPfpeEI9MxJlUrbd5zOqn9lZi2cvpmz2WYz8qtEKwwH3E1Cjx39c17nMLmfXUtEMf90HccH0rDZnWSmuAQI8TrPAgxQInN0GTUyofHeXdCUiDuwe9-0rOiZUks3WV_iimhCY5kfBpE79oo8kgzC7F4lx76knAs10K5WKV2wxKxUQTum2kOtz8H8Cp7emQ4UGwzslMtXdsK_7lepU4n_j-vIWZWgIX1AHvX8gIureI0OlvRFg7Y4PoZoPb9mk4Vi47e2aktlYk4AMq7ekFUCLP7zXMeLqM7Swz7W63DEAtSgrL470jePxofVT_aAWZ-p7GPGoBK78zJqHU02zydbiis7KnIfvinQNgZHep83p6k2BvXnuVvYuqxxg34Ark40INx72HVjWprLjIX4iVi_a2cWGNjeEPIxWcSqu3306i9cPj6pu9Aup46dEAGMJqBdAz2PGZlztLBFK1O_8zMWs2QakgK8_PhSP55PErW-NgmZWwa3JBSPaTFEdNrLtPn3bEpDPQvtQttmkGL3DSVglt2fZdfWK5uFLbxpiNfRmyMV8jhlu9OIc0jJqJ16mrzbPHOEW0sfb-8dN74ciC6ufx9Qr3r0VxxhluiN_BIucZi8X0F4m-nXvLDROIoeTbIV9IAHVWfF7pSvC38Vc1ZUGTU6rv--u3=w1008-h377-no

JW, Joss, Gus, Joss, Horn & Scruggs :cool:

Last edited:

NicKen

Registered
Here is some History --- 3 greats --- Mosconi, Szamboti & Palmer Cues.

Palmer Cue with Szamboti forearm ordered by Willie Mosconi from Palmer. Mosconi would get these cues from Palmer and give them out when he did exhibitions. In the mid 70's he was in Seattle doing exhibition and gave this one to the owner of the place he was playing - The Owner didn't want it (Can you believe that) so sold it to local player that used it for close to 30 Years. Local cue maker Roger Pettit refinished the cue with period correct irish linen. I have owned the cue for 9 year and still in the Seattle area.

Mosconi Palmer.jpg

Mosconi Palmer (4).jpg

Mosconi Palmer (5).jpg

Mosconi Palmer (3).jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the cue Bob vanover won 10 or so Texas Opens with
The cue he ran the set 9Racks against Lizard

bert schrager cue and Fellini Fancy case made for Bob with his name engraved

Bob was the best player in the world who held a full time job,never a road player but
generally recognized as one of the greats

Many in Dallas thought he could beat anyone in the area including CJ

I saw him play a set with Buddy Hall and to my surprise many locals took Bob
to win even money

Bob won countless tournaments with this cue beating great players including Keith Mc Credie

and other great players

I just bought the cue yesterday to sell to someone who loved Bob or famous players
historical cues

After his playing days bob loaned the cue to Jack Potter who won many the dollar and loved the cue

dean

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the cue Bob vanover won 10 or so Texas Opens with
The cue he ran the set 9Racks against Lizard

bert schrager cue and Fellini Fancy case made for Bob with his name engraved

Bob was the best player in the world who held a full time job,never a road player but
generally recognized as one of the greats

Many in Dallas thought he could beat anyone in the area including CJ

I saw him play a set with Buddy Hall and to my surprise many locals took Bob
to win even money

Bob won countless tournaments with this cue beating great players including Keith Mc Credie

and other great players

I just bought the cue yesterday to sell to someone who loved Bob or famous players
historical cues

After his playing days bob loaned the cue to Jack Potter who won many the dollar and loved the cue

dean
This is one of the few threads, I wished you would/could post pics. I bet you have had more gems than most.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is from an old post:

(Re: GB)-
At the time I was fooling around restoring, inlaying and refinishing cues so we talked for quite a while and he showed me how he put on his finish and gave me a jar of his finish to try

Was it ever determined what the finish was?

Also, how did GB do inlays?
Did he have a pantograph?
If so, was it a Gorton, or other?

thanks!
smt

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wish i could post pictures of vanovers cue and cases

i can send pictures via ebay if someone can post on here

i am sorry ,we can not figure it out

RIGOR

Registered
I actually hit a few balls with that cue..
Jimmy is from my hometown Scranton ,Pa.
I am guessing it was around 1980.
HE came into Idle hour lanes to practice and called me over to see his cue.
I asked to hit a few with it and he handed it to me..
I knew him pretty well so its not like he handed it to anybody..
just a little FYI on History of it.....

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
------------------------------------------------------------------

That is one heck of an impressive story, I am extremely impressed.

You just never know who is online and this one is living proof. I would like to see CJ back on here, he's on another website and he sent me a Friend request a few years back. A Friend request among 5,000 others is nothing compared to you owning that cue.

Thanks for posting this, the cue is legendary.

I've been playing with this cue for the last 3 or 4 times I've played and it plays well. Maybe not as well for me as it did CJ, but whose counting balls?

Attachments

• RS-11 (1).jpg
    RS-11 (1).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 307

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a Szamboti that Barry and his son made for a school project

looks exactly likea Barry Hoppe Style with Ivory joint,and Hoppe butt

features barry's son Barry on the cue