Honest questions about cues..

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
So my take so far is as consumers we are making the problem harder on ourselves, and not to overthink things. So I'm still basically lost.

What BS talk will I get when I walk in to buy a cue, and what keys does one want to pay attention to? Customer backing with a life time warranty for me its made in the USA atop the list. I may be hard headed, but when I can buy American I will.

Does every store have brands they try to push by the manufactures. How many different brands should one look at? How many are made by the same co under different names etc etc.

Viking,

Your talking retail. Every retailer has a brand they "push". They might sell ten or fifteen but the majority will be one brand. Just ask them what they recommend and you'll find out. Offering the customer a selection only makes it tougher to buy one. Once you get past this one or that one and add a third, confusion sets in. You don't have enough information to make an educated choice right now. Decide on one brand and go with it. After six months or so, try some others, Now you will have a benchmark to work with. If you really want an American made product, the list shrinks somewhat. As I mentioned earlier, you can not make a bad choice with Schon.

Lyn

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
CRJ not to be a jerk, but why would one be on a list for a custom when they wrote what you just wrote? If you know you will do no better why do it?

Because I LOVE the look of the cue, as well as the execution. And I can afford it, otherwise, there would be no reason to do it. And I'm just a Pool Nut, that is what pool nutters do ;) My Schmelke plays fine.... yeah, I added an OB shaft cause I wanted to try one, as I have a little trouble loading up on inside English, and it helped a lot, so I still use that. Total price, $300.

Nobody needs a $10K watch, it won't keep better time than your cell phone, but folks buy them, it's jewelry, it's remarkable engineering for others.... Folks just like nice things. We are like little kids in some ways, cause we like shiny objects ;) And no, I don't even wear a watch. If I hit the lottery I would not buy a fancy watch, just not for me personally. Same thing can be said for cues, I know folks that would NOT give up their $200 McDermotts cause it does the job even though they make well into 6 figures.

I also have a completely restored Willie Hoppe Pro Model, just cause it's a piece of history and I like the way it looks. I shoot with either cue, and the balls still go in,,,, well, not always, but that is user error ;)

Also, I played with a Burton Spain cue since I was 15, it was only a $100 cue back then, still not cheap, but certainly not Crazy expensive, but he was not a HOF cuemaker yet, and it was a plain jane, and it shot just fine. I had it refinished by Hercek, but was so afraid of getting it nicked up, that I never played with it, and finally sold it to a Spain collector, so I still get visitation rights ;)

Last edited:

vikingpitbull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Viking,

Your talking retail. Every retailer has a brand they "push". They might sell ten or fifteen but the majority will be one brand. Just ask them what they recommend and you'll find out. Offering the customer a selection only makes it tougher to buy one. Once you get past this one or that one and add a third, confusion sets in. You don't have enough information to make an educated choice right now. Decide on one brand and go with it. After six months or so, try some others, Now you will have a benchmark to work with. If you really want an American made product, the list shrinks somewhat. As I mentioned earlier, you can not make a bad choice with Schon.

Lyn

Will they be honest or just try to push the house brand with claims of how much better they are? I live in a daed zone for anything custom that I could pick up, and try. I live in a town with 140 people tops. Is there any cue makers in central Iowa that aren't going to charge a G bar or am I better just to buy off the rack?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Will they be honest or just try to push the house brand with claims of how much better they are? I live in a daed zone for anything custom that I could pick up, and try. I live in a town with 140 people tops. Is there any cue makers in central Iowa that aren't going to charge a G bar or am I better just to buy off the rack?

You can buy a very nice, well built sneaky pete cue from Pat Diveney, he's from Iowa. Probably be around $600 if you really want a custom cue. And he's a big supporter of billiards, he will be at the IL state tourney next weekend, drive in and hit a few ;)

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to AZB!

Your questions are not new to the forums. There as many answers as questions on this subject. I have yet to see any answers that can be validated, read quantify, that will make your choice more clear cut. It will come down to your judgement call in the end, you are the one that will be using "X" cue.

You are better served by going out to the local pool hall and hitting balls with as many different cues as you can to form your own opinion. Yes, opinions run a muck when talking about cues. There is no replacement for personal experience. You know your likes and dislikes.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, there is no shot that can be made that my $99 Schmelke cue can't make. I even offered folks money to gamble on that prop, and nobody will take me up on it.

That being said, I'm on a waiting list for the top cue maker in the country. But as great as his cues are made and designed, I'm not going to play one lick better than I do now, just a fact.

If Major League baseball players who have to hit 100 mph pitches, or even worse a 90 mph slider, use a $150 wood bat and they avg ML player is paid $5M a year. The top guys have $100M, $250M, and even $300M contracts. Yes, they do order the length, weight and handle to their specs. They also may chose a certain wood, hickory, ash, maple, etc. But $150 gets the job done, and hits a baseball 450 feet.

So, buy what you want, just don't buy what you think you need ;)

Thier are shots where you need spin but cat spin because the squirt will cause you to hit a ball before you hit the object ball ,, Mike Massey showed me a have dozen shots that can't be made with out a LD shaft
Now to the OP ,, IMHO the only way to get the cue you like in both playing ability and looks is go to a place like the SBX where you can hit a wide variety of cues ,, the had a test where they taped the joints and let the pros hit them and they could not tell the difference from joint to joint

vikingpitbull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy a very nice, well built sneaky pete cue from Pat Diveney, he's from Iowa. Probably be around $600 if you really want a custom cue. And he's a big supporter of billiards, he will be at the IL state tourney next weekend, drive in and hit a few ;)

Got him bookmarked. Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with no watches.

Because I LOVE the look of the cue, as well as the execution. And I can afford it, otherwise, there would be no reason to do it. And I'm just a Pool Nut, that is what pool nutters do ;) My Schmelke plays fine.... yeah, I added an OB shaft cause I wanted to try one, as I have a little trouble loading up on inside English, and it helped a lot, so I still use that. Total price, $300.

Nobody needs a $10K watch, it won't keep better time than your cell phone, but folks buy them, it's jewelry, it's remarkable engineering for others.... Folks just like nice things. We are like little kids in some ways, cause we like shiny objects ;) And no, I don't even wear a watch. If I hit the lottery I would not buy a fancy watch, just not for me personally. Same thing can be said for cues, I know folks that would NOT give up their $200 McDermotts cause it does the job even though they make well into 6 figures.

I also have a completely restored Willie Hoppe Pro Model, just cause it's a piece of history and I like the way it looks. I shoot with either cue, and the balls still go in,,,, well, not always, but that is user error ;)

Also, I played with a Burton Spain cue since I was 15, it was only a $100 cue back then, still not cheap, but certainly not Crazy expensive, but he was not a HOF cuemaker yet, and it was a plain jane, and it shot just fine. I had it refinished by Hercek, but was so afraid of getting it nicked up, that I never played with it, and finally sold it to a Spain collector, so I still get visitation rights ;)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening shoots with a Cuetec with R360 shaft. A similar cue can be had for less than $200. Would be a good cue for a new player to start with.

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Thier are shots where you need spin but cat spin because the squirt will cause you to hit a ball before you hit the object ball ,, Mike Massey showed me a have dozen shots that can't be made with out a LD shaft
Now to the OP ,, IMHO the only way to get the cue you like in both playing ability and looks is go to a place like the SBX where you can hit a wide variety of cues ,, the had a test where they taped the joints and let the pros hit them and they could not tell the difference from joint to joint

Really? Willie Hoppe could spin the ball better than anyone and he didn't have an LD shaft: Willie Hoppe Story

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an easy question to answer. I started with a very cheap Adam production, went to a Palmer, also production, went to Meucci. The first custom I bought was from Dan Janes, then known in the pool world as Joss East, long before Joss Cues LTD came into being. I've had probably about 30-40 cues over the years, always on the lookout for something I liked better than what I had. That said, there are only two that I wish I hadn't sold, my Indian Rosewood South West and that Joss. I now have a Dan Dishaw that I've had for over 20 years now, and a Kevin Varney that I've had for about four. I like my cues to appeal to me visually, has absolutely nothing to do with impressing anybody. The way they hit and feel is most important. I've said this many times, if I could find one production cue that plays the way any of my custom cues have, I'd buy it and play with it. So far that hasn't happened.
I have my preferences which may be different from yours. I won't tell you what cue to buy because I don't know how long you've been playing or how well you play. You can find a cue for you that you like. There are many, many options. If you can't hit it first and have never hit one of that make or type, look elsewhere. I bought cues based on hitting a similar one before I ordered, either production or custom.
If you haven't been playing long I would avoid low deflection, laminated shafts like the plague!
Good luck.

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
With so many on the market, and such a huge difference in price range how do you go about getting the best cue? There is no way you can honestly test them all so is price the main factor along with what is around your area of purchase? Everyone will have a favorite for various reasons, and many not very sound. Chevy vs Ford type of thing..

Are custom cues really custom? Unlike golf clubs or motorcycles that are actually built for one person how are they called custom cues when not truly made for one person?

Is there really that much difference in a $40 house cue vs a $ 2500 custom? I hear many times that it doesn't matter the cost of the cue, but the person behind it. So why do people buy expensive cues vs a $40 house cue or cheap two piece?

Would you buy older cues online or would you just stick to what you can touch before you spend money?

Can you honestly feel a difference between low end vs high end cues? What brand sells the best line up from top to bottom? Subjective I know, but wanted to throw that out.

IMO its very frustrating trying to push back the BS, and get the nuts, and bolts to the forefront.

Is it one of those things in life when people think more money equals better product when in real world truth not so much?

Everything below the 29" from the tip is for show. A one-piece cue is just as good if not better than any 2-piece. With that said, concentrate on purchasing a great shaft. Put it on a couple of cheap cues until you can afford a cue that is pleasing to YOUR eyes. It takes a lifetime of playing pool to detect any differences in the butt end of a cue! In that video of Willie Hoppe I posted, he is using a Brunswick Master Stroke. I doubt if anyone here would recommend it as a player. If you missed the video: Willie Hoppe Story

BTW I buy expensive cues because it perpetuates the sport...and, I can afford it!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

RJ,

Bought one of them fancy watches thirty years ago. After a years use, went back to the jeweler and asked about why my $30 Timex kept better time. Should have known better than to ask that question.

Really liked the questions the OP posted. Thought they cut to the heart of the matter. Incidentally, I own one of those $200 McDermotts. Been corresponding with Jayme Cernicka about the cue and its history. Nice to see customer service is alive and well in America!

Lyn

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
So basically no servicable function gain on higher end cues is what you are saying? Pretty much just to puff your chest, and look at me type of thing?

What I take is the value is $500, and under, and you just have to push your way through the BS to find what fits you? In other words it could be a $50 cue. When you go to look for a car or TV or cue the same game is played depending on the salesman strategy.

No bs:

1. You can get a fantastic playing production cue and even some terrific custom cues in the $500 and even slightly lower range.

2. It is very subjective and personal, deciding what qualities make up a great playing cue. Your version may be much different than mine or the next guys.

3. In the many threads that have asked for opinions on which production cues are the best, the three that consistently come out on top, in no particular order, are:

Schon

Mezz

Pechauer

4. In the approx $500 range, a great playing custom will likely be relatively plain, maybe points, probably not inlays.

5. The best way to buy a player, when possible, is to try it first, ideally attending a large event like the upcoming SBX in Valley Forge where you can actually try cues from many vendors upon which you can make your decision.

6. Short of trying one out in person, the next best thing would be to:

research what cues in your price range are getting excellent reviews, buy one you like *at a good price* and if you like it,, you win. If not, you can sell it for about what you paid and continue your search.

A few customs that can be bought in the approx $500 range that consistently get great reviews are Diveney, Jacoby, Olney, Jensen, and Joss.

GL

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Why do so many people change the shaft or buy multiple?
I do not know nor can I speak to why others would change shafts. I shoot with a Joss cue with stainless joint and ivory ferrule. The cue was custom made for Cole Dickson in the 1980s. I have a second shaft, just in case something goes wrong with the first. I do not switch back and forth. I have a primary shaft and a back up for emergencies. I bought the cue from Cole in 1987 for $200 and have been playing with it since.

I have hit balls with the Cuetec R360. While it is a different hit from what I use, it is a hit I can get comfortable with in a short time.

I have recommended it as a good place to start out as it is a good cue and a good value.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump Into The Water

My recommendation is to just buy an inexpensive production cue that appeals to you on the used/secondary market. Use it for awhile and see how you like it. Then you can test other brands and determine whether they make a difference in your playing or not.

Buying used is more economical as it obviously reduces the loss if you decide to resell.

Also be aware that certain things can be quickly changed on most cues, including the tip, the weight, the wrap, and the shaft. So sometimes you may not need to deep-six the entire cue to change the feel or performance.

I know what I like in a cue, but can adjust my playing to cue with specs outside of my preferences. I own cues valued all over the lot. many are production or custom production and others are full custom one-of-kind cues.

Like anything you buy, you have to jump-in to start getting the feel of the tool.

Last edited: