how are ya'll doing in league ?

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I’m not doing well in league btw. People say hustlers and gamblers are killing pool. Well I’ve overheard at least 5 different groups(1-3) APA players discussing how they need to get their handicaps down for citywide. I don’t think gambling is the problem. It’s greed by players most of whom will never be any more than an APA “hero”. If even that. So I’ve decided I’ll help out from now on and decimate each and every opponent in APA going forward. No more hill/hill nice play.

I guess the players I’m referring to would be “hustlers” in a sense. Moreso cheaters than hustlers. But you get what I’m saying.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I’m not doing well in league btw. People say hustlers and gamblers are killing pool. Well I’ve overheard at least 5 different groups(1-3) APA players discussing how they need to get their handicaps down for citywide. I don’t think gambling is the problem. It’s greed by players most of whom will never be any more than an APA “hero”. If even that. So I’ve decided I’ll help out from now on and decimate each and every opponent in APA going forward. No more hill/hill nice play.

I guess the players I’m referring to would be “hustlers” in a sense. Moreso cheaters than hustlers. But you get what I’m saying.
Torture them. ;)

Sandbagging is the ultimate loser behavior. I just don't get the allure of it. If I ever think of sandbagging as a viable option, I'll just quit pool. I'd rather lose every match I ever compete in than try to sandbag.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thankfully i am hard of hearing because if i ever heard some one say that i would tell them what i thought...and it would not be good.

I try to give people the benefit of doubt about sandbagging because we all have our good or bad nights. Especially newer players.

Its the lifetime 3's and 4's that makes sandgging so obvious. Not talking about housewives but the guys that lose all session long and then beat the crap outa other 3 's in cities by 18-2 . i know of one that did it for years and was finally raised to a 4 at last years nationals.

Then you have guys like i played a few weeks ago. We are both 6's in 9 ball and i won 18-2. Fellas lemme tell you....i didnt play that great...he played that awful and left a feeling in the back of my mind that he was dumping. I was not sure because i had never played him before. Then...the week after he comes straight up to me with a smile on his face saying he was lowered back to a 5.

Gonna leave it at that cause i dont want to start a long winded post about sandbagging.

This week i faced a guy i played 8 ball at the begining of the session for the first time. He was a 4 . he took me to the hill before i won. I thought later that this guy would not be a 4 for long as good as he played.

Well sure enough the other night i saw he was now a 5 when we matched up. This guy exudes confidence at the table almost to the point of being cocky....at least that how i took his demeaner while he was shooting.

So ...i decided to take this young whipper snapper to defense city. He got visibly frustrated a few times which led me to pour it on even more. I won 4-0 in a 4-4 race. He grabbed his cues and walked away without even bothering to shake my outstretched hand.

Well i decided to enter a captains vegas qualifying tournament coming up in a couple weeks. I love the format but i have one little pet peeve about how they handicap it.

If yall guys are not familiar wirh the format and want to know more just ask and i will answer your questions. . This post is long enough.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Nice to see this thread still rolling along. Be kind to the sand baggers, they are some mother’s son or daughter.
Sometimes it’s the mother/son mother/daughter duo doing the dumping.

The problem I have is league is supposed to be fun. So sometimes a game will go an extra inning or two, and the innings played have a big impact on APA SL. I don’t lose very often, just don’t care to play my best much. Sometimes I’ll even skip the lag and let other person break if I’m pretty sure going to win anyway.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I get frustrated with my consistency (or lack thereof), tho I fully understand that playing as little as I do, I shouldn't be surprised. Still, I had been playing reasonably well, for me, the last few weeks. Not winning every week, but more wins than losses, and playing better than I had been last year.

So last night, I was pretty discouraged at how poorly I was playing. Mechanical issues at the heart of the matter, methinks. And I just couldn't get comfortable.

Still, as the saying goes, old age and treachery will defeat youth and exuberance, more often than not 😉. My safety play kept me in the match long enough to eke out a win. An ugly, ugly win.

dquarasr

Registered
Ugh. I played a 3-5 race, me SL4, vs SL6. I got skunked, 0-5, rackful (?).

I didn’t play all that badly. One or two iffy decisions, a couple of shape issues where i rolled an inch too far, one miss I should have made, and my opponent was on, ran out if i gave up the table.

But I’m ok with it in spite of getting skunked because i shot at least my SL. I just ran into a buzzsaw. Crap.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
1649158036820.jpeg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
loving my apa 8ball team i put together
i built the team with dedicated players that will show up and dont need babysitting
last night we now have 5 players that have gone rackless and one of em got a second rackless last night
and we all knew each other and get along so its a great atmosphere

we havent lost once and beat the 2nd place team 8-4 last night

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i built the team with dedicated players that will show up and dont need babysitting
last night we now have 5 players that have gone rackless and one of em got a second rackless last night

Team chemistry makes a big difference in enjoying the league.

I mentioned some time ago that i kicked 3 players off my team at the start of this session. A whole lot less drama and stress now.

We really kicked it up a notch lately in 8 ball. Last week we faced rhe team that 2 of my previous players went to. Ws beat them 10-4.

This week we played the team that the 3rd player went to. We beat them 12-1. I Gotta admit it felt good to trounce the teams those drama queens went to. We also won 9 ball both weeks but i dont recall the scores. As a matter of fact i have not played 9 ball the past 3 weeks.

My 7 went back up to an 8 and its hard to get both of us playing the same night. Plus i have a new 4 that has replayed both 8 and 9 the last couple weeks ....trying to get him eligible for playoffs.

As for me personally i won 4-1 in a 4 -4 race. I won the first 2 in a row and then had a break and run the 3rd rack. Lost the 4th rack due to losing focus after that break and run i guess 😆.

Had a rackless last week so it seems my 8 ball game is going good. Hope i keep it up during the captains tournament this coming weekend.

dquarasr

Registered

If only my team were as reliable. I have a core of 3 that are very reliable but getting the roster filled with those last few players has been a challenge and a revolving door.

It bothered me so much I’m taking the summer session off completely, not even as a non-captain member. I need a break from league.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am on the worst losing streak I've ever been on. After starting the session 5-0, I am now 5-6. Spring is always tough, as I coach high school softball and my schedule is super hectic, but this is getting laughable. I am losing to players who honestly should not beat me. In these situations, it seems that the pockets on my shots are sub 4", my opponents make every single kick, bank, and slop shot, and if they miss they leave me dead hooked.

I need to find some zen somewhere!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get frustrated with my consistency (or lack thereof), tho I fully understand that playing as little as I do, I shouldn't be surprised. Still, I had been playing reasonably well, for me, the last few weeks. Not winning every week, but more wins than losses, and playing better than I had been last year.

Inconsistency is one of the defining traits of a mid level player. If you suck, you are consistently bad, if you are good, you are constantly good, if you are in the middle, sometimes you play bad, sometimes you play good LOL

I go week to week from having two break and runs in a race to 5 and killing my opponents to basically missing ball in hand every other game. It's not odd at all, but sure is annoying. The goal is to try to play every shot perfectly, eliminate any mistake, it won't happen for most of us a lot, but you need to reach for that type of game as a goal. Even if you fall short of perfect you will still end up in a pretty good area. If you set a goal of just being OK, then getting to that level you are still short of ability.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 6 should be able to skunk a 4,
I am, and I feel I can outplay them everywhere, only games given up should be from carelessness
I agree, generally. But take this run I have been on....I lost last night to an SL 4 that had NEVER won a single RACK off of me. He beats me 3-4....I didn't even make it to the hill. He Made some razor thin cuts to get out, had a 6 ball run out with a bank on the 8 to win....it happens. He is the weakest 4 in our league and just wrecked me.

Funny thing is, almost the exact same thing has happened 4 out of my last 6 losses. 2 were to legit SL 7's. 4 were to SL 4's.

I will probably be a 5 next week

I don't sand bag.

I am just getting my azz kicked.

It sucks.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Last week's 8 ball league, won 2 matches lost 1. 2-0, 2-1, 0-2. That last match is a killer for me, hard to maintain focus for long. Our team won. Had a fun time but those skunks really suck! 🦨

There are basically 2 win folks and 3 win folks. Their whole team was 2 win folks, makes it very hard to win if they (or me) get a win on the first game. Basically on hill from the first match. The 2-1 match was against a very good lady, she won the first game. Second game was a hell of a fight. I squeaked out a win and won the 3rd game. Way too close for comfort!

Last edited: