how do you become a pro pool player?

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
When you pocket 99.9% of the shots you take
and end up with perfect shapes on the next ball...

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Well, there are different arguments about this, both are to be taken into consideration.

Some people say that you are a pro if the majority of your income comes from playing pool. If that was the case, I would not be a pro. But for the men, this might work. Since there is no organized tour it is hard to judge who is a pro and who isn't.

According to the WPBA, which is the organizing body of women's pool, you are a pro if you are ranked in the top 40 or 48. This means you get to play in every professional event for the year, sometimes two years.

For me, I would say I am considered a pro for the second reason. I have been ranked in the top 32 of the WPBA for about six full years now. I am invited and play in every event. Although, I do have a day job that pays more then my pool habit.

The topic is up for debate big time. There are a lot of people that advertise themselves as professional pool players yet they have never played in a professional event. I think this is where the line should be drawn between being a professional pool player and being a professional in the pool industry, ie. commentating, photographing, working for companies, etc.

For the guys, I wish I knew a way to decide who is a pro and who isn't. It is much easier for the women who have an organized tour. There are also less women that play pool so it is easy to know about a girl that is up and coming and on their way to becoming a pro. For the men, lots of them like to lay low for awhile then jump into the spotlight and possibly be considered "pro".

Everyone feel free to comment your opinion. I am interested to see what everyone else has to say.

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Sarah,

I have read and enjoyed a number of your post, I think that it is great that you take the time to show updates of your travels and experiences. You are a great pro and great for the "Pool world"

I am curious as you mentioned you have another "day job" How much time does that allow you practice? daily? weekly? How do you make the time? Is your practice more drill based or playing with others?

Best of luck to you in all your future ventures,
Darin

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Interesting question

I think I would answer that saying u first join the upa, then cash in the $ only to have to go to court while Frank Alvarest barks at you each tournament for a yearly due fee, even though the tour (upa if you will) owes the player big bucks for a sanctioned event. So in other words you must kiss Franks but and try to see everything his way, but they will give you a patch that says upa on it. Ok I will pay my fee and if the tour pays me the $ they owe me than that is just icing on the cake, or if u shoot pool on your tax return as an income then maybe that could be construde as a pro.

If you want to be a Pro then be optimistic that someone steps up to the plate with a game plan other than being greedy and a control freak ie Frank Alvarez (leading rep for upa and top touring Pro.) I got one for ya - Frank bars some of the top talent from the tour and says they won't pay there dues even though the tour (if you will) owes that particular player thousands and will not bend as to how to settle it.

Pretty soon he is able to claim that he is a top contender even though he can't make a ball in the ocean. Now he gets invited undeservingly and manipulates the political system so that he becomes the person who tries to play God. Or you can get the Bronze medal in a world tournament only to find out that you have been overshadowed by the worldly invitees. I could go on and on but basically the true pro who just cares about the game and enjoys competing against the best players in the world becomes blocked out by politcs.

jdxprs

Banned
I think I would answer that saying u first join the upa, then cash in the $ only to have to go to court while Frank Alvarest barks at you each tournament for a yearly due fee, even though the tour (upa if you will) owes the player big bucks for a sanctioned event. So in other words you must kiss Franks but and try to see everything his way, but they will give you a patch that says upa on it. Ok I will pay my fee and if the tour pays me the $ they owe me than that is just icing on the cake, or if u shoot pool on your tax return as an income then maybe that could be construde as a pro.

If you want to be a Pro then be optimistic that someone steps up to the plate with a game plan other than being greedy and a control freak ie Frank Alvarez (leading rep for upa and top touring Pro.) I got one for ya - Frank bars some of the top talent from the tour and says they won't pay there dues even though the tour (if you will) owes that particular player thousands and will not bend as to how to settle it.

Pretty soon he is able to claim that he is a top contender even though he can't make a ball in the ocean. Now he gets invited undeservingly and manipulates the political system so that he becomes the person who tries to play God. Or you can get the Bronze medal in a world tournament only to find out that you have been overshadowed by the worldly invitees. I could go on and on but basically the true pro who just cares about the game and enjoys competing against the best players in the world becomes blocked out by politcs.

jesus christ. sounds a lot easier to make a living hitting the bars on friday and saturday nights. lol

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
to be a pro

to be a pro . you have got to play every day for six months ,and not miss
over two balls. i like to play but want quit my day job . john : anderson sc

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I would definitely not recommend quitting a day job to anyone! I am a pro and I still have a day job. It is such a hard living to make. For me, I was young and decided that I should try it out before I settle down, have kids and all of that. Not many people get to say that they followed their dreams. At least if I am successful or if I fail, I can still say that I gave it a try!

Sarah

billiardchick7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would definitely not recommend quitting a day job to anyone! I am a pro and I still have a day job. It is such a hard living to make. For me, I was young and decided that I should try it out before I settle down, have kids and all of that. Not many people get to say that they followed their dreams. At least if I am successful or if I fail, I can still say that I gave it a try!

Sarah
Good for you! Most people are too scared to give their full heart to pursue their dreams. They are too afraid of failure. You've done a great job. I'm surprised you still have to have a day job. I guess it shows how little money there is in pool for the really great players.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Consequences.

This reminds me of the first few lines of Robert Cray's song, "Consequences".

Not a day goes by
that a man doesn't have to choose
between what he wants
and what he's afraid to lose.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes you considered a pro pool player

1. Never miss a ball
2. Beat everyone you play
3. Have no money
4. Able to laugh about it.

silvr rcr

(silver racer)
Silver Member
1pro·fes·sion·al
adj \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
2c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return

Being a 'professional' anything is being paid to do it, but because I win a few bucks from the local donkeys down at my pool room, does that qualify me to be a pro pool player? in a defined/literal sense, yes, but does that mean I can hang with players like Sarah?
nah, i'll keep my money :D

Another way of looking at it is a professional being 'one who professes in a particular skill or activity'

pro·fess
   /prəˈfɛs/ [pruh-fes]
–verb (used with object)
4 : to declare oneself skilled or expert in; claim to have knowledge of; make (a thing) one's profession or business.

So to be an expert in a particular activity, but if you dont like the term 'expert', we can say in a top percentage of skilled individuals participating in a particular past-time.

As far as being recognized by the pool peanut gallery as being a pro, go win some tournaments, gamble some, get pissed and act like an idiot when you lose, break a cue or three, cuss your opponent, talk about it on the internet and piss more people off...
haha, just kidding :)

Sarah, hope your doing well over there!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not sure what makes you a pro but I can tell you how to become a millionaire as a professional pool player: Start with $3 million and work your way down.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Pool Cash

Hi Sarah, you sound like a great person. That's amazing to me because most pool players are flakes.LOL. I was told to teach my little girl how to play pool, but also make her a pro golfer, one golf tournament win, would be more than any games of pool. she loves pool. I wish you the best. I hope to see you in Seattle soon. Kicking all my Seattle WPBA friends butts. Rod.