How do you deal with a sudden inability to make balls?

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
It's happened to me quite a few times. Maybe it has happened to you too.

Yesterday, I was playing really well (for me, that is) in the morning with friends, playing games of rotation. I consistently beat them for probably something like an hour and a half or two hours; then one of them wanted to move to 8 ball so he could have a chance. I continued winning and finally lost a game, and got knocked off the table (9 foot Gold Crown with medium tight pockets).

Continued shooting with them (total about 5 hours playing time) and left to go to Chris's in Chicago. Get on table 10, quite tight pockets, and am shooting very well. Practice on that table for about 45 minutes. Play some one-pocket with a much stronger player for the time, he spots me the breaks. At a certain point my game goes to pieces, and I start missing balls. Melt down occurs. Total time: hour and a half.

Take some time off, and chill a bit, then an hour and a half later go in to the tournament room to warm up. Warm up is usually an hour, but often goes to an hour and a half, the 9 ball tournament has over 30 players.

I warm up with a friend who's much better and am playing pretty well. At one point he says that I'd have already beaten him (if we were playing a match to our handicaps.)

In my tournament match, I get on the hill, and my opponent's game seems to go to pot. The next game, I start having trouble potting balls I shouldn't ever miss. It gets worse. While I make a few, I can't stay consistent. He ends up winning the match.

My question is this: What's going on here? Is it fatigue? I played terribly, and can't otherwise figure out why...

Any advice on how to deal with this sort of thing?

Flex
 
Flex said:
It's happened to me quite a few times. Maybe it has happened to you too.

Yesterday, I was playing really well (for me, that is) in the morning with friends, playing games of rotation. I consistently beat them for probably something like an hour and a half or two hours; then one of them wanted to move to 8 ball so he could have a chance. I continued winning and finally lost a game, and got knocked off the table (9 foot Gold Crown with medium tight pockets).

Continued shooting with them (total about 5 hours playing time) and left to go to Chris's in Chicago. Get on table 10, quite tight pockets, and am shooting very well. Practice on that table for about 45 minutes. Play some one-pocket with a much stronger player for the time, he spots me the breaks. At a certain point my game goes to pieces, and I start missing balls. Melt down occurs. Total time: hour and a half.

Take some time off, and chill a bit, then an hour and a half later go in to the tournament room to warm up. Warm up is usually an hour, but often goes to an hour and a half, the 9 ball tournament has over 30 players.

I warm up with a friend who's much better and am playing pretty well. At one point he says that I'd have already beaten him (if we were playing a match to our handicaps.)

In my tournament match, I get on the hill, and my opponent's game seems to go to pot. The next game, I start having trouble potting balls I shouldn't ever miss. It gets worse. While I make a few, I can't stay consistent. He ends up winning the match.

My question is this: What's going on here? Is it fatigue? I played terribly, and can't otherwise figure out why...

Any advice on how to deal with this sort of thing?

Flex

I bet you're trying too hard. You get on the hill and want to really finish him off so you begin to press. When you start missing, you press more and it gets worse. It's really hard to do but you have to play almost effortlessly in order to see the best results. I know at least, when I begin to miss, this is often the reason.
 
Getting back on track

Most of the time you just need to get back to your basics. Staying down , stoking the ball instead of pushing. looking the table over real good. Things like that creep out of your game when you start to play poorly.---Smitty
 
What's wrong!

1) First, determine if you feel different physically, then emotionally which effects you mentally.
2) Second, pay attention to your form. Look at all parts of your form and stroke while down in position. Are you doing something unconsciously you shouldn't? If so, correct it. (like throwing elbow out on stroke, gripping cue tightly at end of stroke, bending wrist inwardly while stroking, etc.)

I always go back to basics, form, stance and stroke mechanics. I tell myself, 'straight and smooth, straight and smooth, and follow through'. Works for me.

One exception: sometimes your mind goes off-kilter for whatever reason, and no matter how hard you try, things just do not go right (that's right, one of those nights). Lay off and take a day or two of rest, then go back to playing.
 
Flex said:
It's happened to me quite a few times. Maybe it has happened to you too.

Yesterday, I was playing really well (for me, that is) in the morning with friends, playing games of rotation. I consistently beat them for probably something like an hour and a half or two hours; then one of them wanted to move to 8 ball so he could have a chance. I continued winning and finally lost a game, and got knocked off the table (9 foot Gold Crown with medium tight pockets).

Continued shooting with them (total about 5 hours playing time) and left to go to Chris's in Chicago. Get on table 10, quite tight pockets, and am shooting very well. Practice on that table for about 45 minutes. Play some one-pocket with a much stronger player for the time, he spots me the breaks. At a certain point my game goes to pieces, and I start missing balls. Melt down occurs. Total time: hour and a half.

Take some time off, and chill a bit, then an hour and a half later go in to the tournament room to warm up. Warm up is usually an hour, but often goes to an hour and a half, the 9 ball tournament has over 30 players.

I warm up with a friend who's much better and am playing pretty well. At one point he says that I'd have already beaten him (if we were playing a match to our handicaps.)

In my tournament match, I get on the hill, and my opponent's game seems to go to pot. The next game, I start having trouble potting balls I shouldn't ever miss. It gets worse. While I make a few, I can't stay consistent. He ends up winning the match.

My question is this: What's going on here? Is it fatigue? I played terribly, and can't otherwise figure out why...

Any advice on how to deal with this sort of thing?

Flex

Slow down and make sure you are seeing the object ball clearly before execution.
 
Harold Smith said:
Most of the time you just need to get back to your basics. Staying down , stoking the ball instead of pushing. looking the table over real good. Things like that creep out of your game when you start to play poorly.---Smitty

I agree with this. Also, try using the same preshot routine every time (when you are playing well and when you are not). This can actually help with your consistency. JMO.

Southpaw
 
Flex said:
It's happened to me quite a few times. Maybe it has happened to you too.

Yesterday, I was playing really well (for me, that is) in the morning with friends, playing games of rotation. I consistently beat them for probably something like an hour and a half or two hours; then one of them wanted to move to 8 ball so he could have a chance. I continued winning and finally lost a game, and got knocked off the table (9 foot Gold Crown with medium tight pockets).

Continued shooting with them (total about 5 hours playing time) and left to go to Chris's in Chicago. Get on table 10, quite tight pockets, and am shooting very well. Practice on that table for about 45 minutes. Play some one-pocket with a much stronger player for the time, he spots me the breaks. At a certain point my game goes to pieces, and I start missing balls. Melt down occurs. Total time: hour and a half.

Take some time off, and chill a bit, then an hour and a half later go in to the tournament room to warm up. Warm up is usually an hour, but often goes to an hour and a half, the 9 ball tournament has over 30 players.

I warm up with a friend who's much better and am playing pretty well. At one point he says that I'd have already beaten him (if we were playing a match to our handicaps.)

In my tournament match, I get on the hill, and my opponent's game seems to go to pot. The next game, I start having trouble potting balls I shouldn't ever miss. It gets worse. While I make a few, I can't stay consistent. He ends up winning the match.

My question is this: What's going on here? Is it fatigue? I played terribly, and can't otherwise figure out why...

Any advice on how to deal with this sort of thing?

Flex

Most of the time when this happens to me, it is because I am not concentrating on specific shot making.

This can come in the form of trying to throw off in a game to a weaker player, say, in 8 ball, or in your instance with One Pocket. Shooting shots that are generally "in the area" required. Not specifically at a pocket or specific point, but, a general area. By doing this, you are getting lazy in performing your shots.

I believe that if you would have continued to play 9 ball, you would not have had this lapse.

Even when playing One pocket, you must pick a specific point to shoot the object ball to, or a specific aim point and you will not lose that shot making mode. JMO
 
I will often start to say the word "smooth" in my head as well. Try to slow things down.

Developing a consistent pre-shot routine is huge too. I know the feeling you are talking about, and it really does help alot.
 
you played alot of pool before the tournament, to much imho.....playing alot before a tournament, is as bad showing up ice cold 5 min before the tournament...

I suggest 1 hour of solid practice, spend the rest of your time, watching matches, or relaxing....On tournament day, hopefully you have spent quality time at the practice table...now its time to relax and just do what you do... The act of playing in a tounament in itself will not suddenly make you focous or play better...If your not prepared do not play...almost always your going to be disapointed, some people may just feel like quitting...Once this has happened it may take 6-12 months to recover..


Its the will thats broken, I believe all players experience this at some point. How you deal with it determines your overall success...

I myself, the harder im pushed the better I play, this is no accident..Instead of fearing the game or situation, realize this may be your chance to experiance what top players do...dont look at your opponet as better, or worse...they play no part in your performance...if they do, or you feel they do you have uncovered a weakness...

Do yourself a favor, prepare and come back strong...give yourself a fighting chance..if you dont know how, visit my site, and feel free to e-mail me with questions, or for a drill.. just please describe whats going on, and I will take this to the practice table myself (if nessasary), and find a solution.. This is what my site is all about...


SPINDOKTOR
 
Snapshot9 said:
1) First, determine if you feel different physically, then emotionally which effects you mentally.
2) Second, pay attention to your form. Look at all parts of your form and stroke while down in position. Are you doing something unconsciously you shouldn't? If so, correct it. (like throwing elbow out on stroke, gripping cue tightly at end of stroke, bending wrist inwardly while stroking, etc.)

I always go back to basics, form, stance and stroke mechanics. I tell myself, 'straight and smooth, straight and smooth, and follow through'. Works for me.

One exception: sometimes your mind goes off-kilter for whatever reason, and no matter how hard you try, things just do not go right (that's right, one of those nights). Lay off and take a day or two of rest, then go back to playing.

From the current Forbes

If fear alters behavior, you're already defeated.
-Brenda Hammond
 
Scaramouche said:
From the current Forbes

If fear alters behavior, you're already defeated.
-Brenda Hammond

Lots of VERY important things to consider have already been said. I'm sure there are others that will soon offer. You mention fatigue because you know that could be a definite possibility.

I have started to warm up for no more than an hour before a day long tournament. I also don't want to be competing with someone before the tournament. I now prefer just to work on getting comfortable with my game rather than trying to beat up on someone else. There is a time for competition, a time for practice and a time for warm up. Don't spend your energy unwisely. You're not 25 years old, you know. :)

I have been trying to figure out what happens when my game goes to hell and still be able to correct it. Some of the things can be corrected if you can tell what they are. Even fatigue can be combated during the match if you know what's happening although I am least effective at doing this.

I think everyone should make a list of all the things everyone is offering and read over the notes when your game turns to dirt. Your opponent might want to know what you are reading and lose track of what he should be doing. :D I hope that's not unsportsmanlike conduct. :o

OH and I don't like to watch other people's matches. It seems to wind me up like a spring watch.
I've found that if I sit and not talk or talk about things other than pool, I am far better off....
JoeyA
 
The eyes have it

One of my past instructors would say.

"When you get tired of missing start aiming."

I have a one page article titled the eyes have it that I wrote dealing with my personal experiences and discoveries.

Since I am a new poster on this forum I did not know if it would be appropriate to post it here but you can find it at
www.members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards
if you are interested or I would be happy to email it to you.

I just started playing again after an 18 month lay off and this is how I spent my first hour or so at the table.

Take Dead Aim
Steve
 
Steve C said:
One of my past instructors would say.

"When you get tired of missing start aiming."

I have a one page article titled the eyes have it that I wrote dealing with my personal experiences and discoveries.

Since I am a new poster on this forum I did not know if it would be appropriate to post it here but you can find it at
www.members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards
if you are interested or I would be happy to email it to you.

I just started playing again after an 18 month lay off and this is how I spent my first hour or so at the table.

Take Dead Aim
Steve

Welcome Steve. I'm going to check out yoru article and personally I wouldn't mind seeing the article here on AZ.

OOPS. That page can't be found. I will PM you with my email address. Please check your PM.
Thanks,
JoeyA
JoeyA
 
Harold Smith said:
Most of the time you just need to get back to your basics. Staying down , stoking the ball instead of pushing. looking the table over real good. Things like that creep out of your game when you start to play poorly.---Smitty
This is the most simple and logical reason why,i am in this state right now,i have had it last me at times a day or up to a month or so and its horrible to play like that.I plan on getting out and practicing and playing with focus and concentration,for about the past 2 months i was playing lights out and i think i might have gotten to comfortable and free wheeling too much. :cool:
 
Flex

Don't think about it. Say to yourself; This Too Will Pass. Bingo, before you know it, you are potting balls again!
Purdman ;)
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT THE TEE SHIRT
 
I like to go to the dartboards and hit a few, then come back to pool and try, try again. When I'm fighting to concentrate, I just accept it and move away from the table.
 
Jude Rosenstock said:
I bet you're trying too hard. You get on the hill and want to really finish him off so you begin to press. When you start missing, you press more and it gets worse. It's really hard to do but you have to play almost effortlessly in order to see the best results. I know at least, when I begin to miss, this is often the reason.

Jude, I think you hit the nail on the head...

Thanks.

Gil Hernandez told me last night that it's the "trying to hard" thing too. Has happened to him. He said when a person tries to hard it has some effect on their muscles and leads them to tighten up a bit, and that bit is plenty enough to mess up.

Thanks again.

Rep to you.

Flex
 
Snapshot9 said:
1) First, determine if you feel different physically, then emotionally which effects you mentally.
2) Second, pay attention to your form. Look at all parts of your form and stroke while down in position. Are you doing something unconsciously you shouldn't? If so, correct it. (like throwing elbow out on stroke, gripping cue tightly at end of stroke, bending wrist inwardly while stroking, etc.)

I always go back to basics, form, stance and stroke mechanics. I tell myself, 'straight and smooth, straight and smooth, and follow through'. Works for me.

One exception: sometimes your mind goes off-kilter for whatever reason, and no matter how hard you try, things just do not go right (that's right, one of those nights). Lay off and take a day or two of rest, then go back to playing.

Snapshot, those are excellent suggestions. Thanks!
 
CrownCityCorey said:
Slow down and make sure you are seeing the object ball clearly before execution.

Isn't that a great suggestion. Now that I think of it, locating the contact point I want to hit, fixing it in my mind's eye, and going through the rest of my preshot routine, has always been the way I've played best.

Thanks.

Flex
 
Back
Top