How do you guys clean your cues?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys use to clean your cues? I wipe my cue with with a cleaner like Mr. Clean then wipe dry then I use 600 grit sand paper and give the shaft a light sanding. Im looking for ideas on other methods to clean them up.

mr2_serious

BRUTE FORCE BABY!
Silver Member
I use butcher's bowling alley wax. Apply the wax with a cloth, rub it thoroughly, and then rub out the excess wax with a clean part of the cloth. Amazingly the wax takes off some of the bluing and seals it at the same time

Oh yeah, I do this like once every 6 weeks.

Last edited:

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
I rarely if ever sand the shaft. Just magic eraser, followed by burnishing with leather.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Usually just a damp cloth, and on occassion some of Lee Pepper's shaft wax...
If you're going to use sandpaper, use a 1500 and above. This type of sandpaper can be found at any automotive store in the auto paint section...Advanced Auto Parts, O'Rielly's, etc...but I would limit its use to "every couple of months or so" and then wax and burnish the shafts afterwards.

I'm crazy about keeping my cues clean and wipe them down after every session...This keeps the shafts cleaner than normal and limits any damage from sanding and such...
Clint

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Damp towel for me. Magic Eraser will dull the polyurethane finish on a cue, so I now only use it on the shaft to get rid of bluing. Then use 2000, 4000, 8000 grit sandpaper to polish up the shaft afterwards.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and I didnt like it. I use 600 about once a month I have done this for along time and I have had this cue for 6 or 7 years and I havent seen any difference in my shaft and it gets nice and slick when im done with it.

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
Magic Eraser and Leather

I, too, use Magic Eraser. Nothing else (that I have found) removes nearly as much of the chalk bluing as Magic Eraser. I cut my Magic Eraser pads into smaller 'slices'. Each slice seems to be sufficient to clean one shaft. And, the remaining slices are clean so as not to carry dirt to the next shaft that I will clean.

I only do this a few times (maybe 3 or 4) times a year.

Dry immediately with paper towel. Then burnish with leather to restore the nice smooth finish on each shaft.

With regard to the gentleman that claimed that Magic Eraser dulls the polyurethane finish: I do NOT use Magic Eraser on anything but the bare wood portion of the shaft.

Attachments

• Magic Eraser.jpg
    Magic Eraser.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 866

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years I treated my shafts with pure tung oil (no varnish or poly added). It's a pain in the ass to do, but very effective in protecting the cue. Once the finish hardens, it's slick as glass and highly resistant to dirt and chalk. I later found car wax plus polymers worked nearly as well and took 1/10 the time. I give it this treatment every 3 months or so.

Once it's treated with either method, a wipe with a damp cloth, followed by hard burnishing (a dry paper towel works fine) finishes it off.

More recently, I've been having my shafts treated with Mike Gulyassy's Shaft Freeze. This stuff is great. It lasts a long time (not sure how long, but it's two years on the first shaft I had done, with no sign of wearing off). It's crystal clear, keeps chalk from penetrating the wood's pores and it's slick. I'm very enthusiastic about this stuff.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Q-clean to clean the shaft. It is a bleach based powder that I sprinkle on a damp cloth and rub the cue with. It takes off all the oils and chalk on it. I then use a cue wax. I apply the cue wax with an old white t-shirt. I do the cue wax about once every 6 weeks and the q-clean as needed, usually like every 3 months.

There are probably a million ways to do it, so I would use whatever works for you.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the shaft has any bluing I'll clean it with Magic Eraser and alcohol. Then smooth with micro-burnishing film. Then I'll apply two coats of Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax buffing well between coats. This should give you a better than new shaft. After every playing session, I'll wipe the cue down with a cloth or paper towel - this should keep it pretty clean. I'll give the shaft another coat of wax (just to keep it clean) about every two months or so. I'll also give the butt a coat of the wax at that time. I have a leather wrap on the butt which I treat with leather wax. When I had a Irish Linen wrap I'd put a piece of wax paper on the wrap and just twist. For me this system works great. You'll probably read at least a dozen ways to clean your cue, but the system I use is extremely gentle and will not remove any wood from the shaft. Good luck to you in your quest for the best way.

Last edited:

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
600 Grit seems that it would be way to abrasive for regular use. I could see using it to get some dings out but I would rather try and steam those out. I dont let sandpaper get close to my cue if I am only cleaning it..

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont really understand why people dont like to use an abrasive on their cues and I mean a fine abrasive I have used this sandpaper for years its an autobody grade and my cues arent losing much size I just checked them they are out .03 mm, I have 2 shafts that I rotate and when I clean them I do all my shafts and they are both the same. I would never be able to tell that there was a difference by feel and that was over 7 years of cleaning once a month.