How do you play this Villareal shot from 2002 BCA Final?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Vivian vs Karen Corr. What would you do?

I placed the line here to show that she could not see the left side of the 8 ball.

CueTable Help

 
I'll take a stab. Just remember that there will be a difference between what I try and what actually happens. :wink:

I would try the short two rail kick on the eight, hoping to stick the cue ball where the eight is and send it down table two rails behind the nine for the safety.

Jim
 
I'd think a long table bank would be about the same odds as the safety above, so I'd go for broke...
 
what about trying to thin the right side of the 8, getting the cue ball back to where it is initially
 
try the jump kick behind the 8. A lot of things can go wrong... but a lot of things could go right. You are in a rough spot either way, gotta try something.

CueTable Help

 
There's some good suggestions here and I'm not sure which the top players/instructors would 'vote on". Cleary's idea is intriguing!

Vivian went for the 2 rail kick safe, but alas, she took it on the chin. I don't think she hit it hard enough such that she'd have got the 8 ball close enough to the foot rail (if she hadn't hit the side point). The CB stopped right at the 8 and left Karen an easy 2 ball out.

CueTable Help

 
There's some good suggestions here and I'm not sure which the top players/instructors would 'vote on". Cleary's idea is intriguing!

Vivian went for the 2 rail kick safe, but alas, she took it on the chin. I don't think she hit it hard enough such that she'd have got the 8 ball close enough to the foot rail (if she hadn't hit the side point). The CB stopped right at the 8 and left Karen an easy 2 ball out.

CueTable Help


Personally, I would probably have tried to thin the 8 ball, moving it a diamond over and putting whitey back downtable, hopefully behind the 9.

IF I decided to kick at the ball, I would have played a one pocket shot, going the same two rails, but trying to make the ball in the top right pocket. Most of the time, even if I hit it good, it would hang up, but I like to give myself a chance to win in spots like this one. As you said, Viv played a great shot, got a bad roll, and sold out anyway...might as well go down swinging.
 
I'd think a long table bank would be about the same odds as the safety above, so I'd go for broke...

Definitely with the cue ball close to the rail and being that fair from the 8 it doesn't look like you can stiffen it enough to bank it. And if you try and cut the 8 to the left a little to shorten the angle the kiss looks impossible to miss
 
Without looking at the answer... I 'd try to bank the 8 down to the other end. The position doesn't look like it will scratch.

OK, now I looked. The 2-rail kick was my second choice, but I really don't like it when the ball is that far from the first rail. It also has the risk of a dribble-in scratch if you hit shorter on the 8 ball.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top