How do you rack 10Ball $5 on 5 $10 on 10

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
It seems every time we have a ring game, where there is some type of credit on the 5 ball and 10 Ball there is debate over where to rack the 5.

What are your thoughts on this?

This is how I do it.

CueTable Help

 
Ray... I wanna re-rack. The 9's not touching the 10... you a shitty racker?... or what??
 
as far as I know, there are only about 5 people in the world who could actually pocket the 7 or the 5 more than 10% of the time consistently, and that is a generous estimate. I think you are just about equally as safe with either spot, and since you don't know where your opponent will choose to break from if he decides to adjust to your placement, it really doesn't matter IMO.
 
It's safe to say that positions 2/4/6/8 are no good. From there it seems reasonable that the balls driven to the end rail would be better than those driven to the side rails, so I think you are on the right track. I'll keep this in mind if we ever change our ring game from 9B to 10B.
 
as far as I know, there are only about 5 people in the world who could actually pocket the 7 or the 5 more than 10% of the time consistently, and that is a generous estimate. I think you are just about equally as safe with either spot, and since you don't know where your opponent will choose to break from if he decides to adjust to your placement, it really doesn't matter IMO.

Some people want to rack the 5 in the second row, like they do if they are giving a ball spot in 9ball.

I always wondered.......where do you put the 6 ball (in 9ball) if you are giving the 6 out?

Ray

Like this?

CueTable Help

 
Lots depends on the table and the way it is playing. You should be attentive to movement and choose placement based on actual outcome, not theory.
 
In 10-ball, we rack the 5-ball in the last row in one of the middle spots like you have in the first post. Sometimes it goes in a pocket all the way up table and rarely in the side.

p.s. I never play 10-ball that expensive! :p We play a point on the 5-ball, a point on the 10-ball and if a point ball ball is made early, it re-spots as long as there are at least two balls before it left on the table. We play to 10 points for $10 each. We also play ties on 9 points each re-starts the game with another $10 added by each player.
 
Last edited:
It seems every time we have a ring game, where there is some type of credit on the 5 ball and 10 Ball there is debate over where to rack the 5.

What are your thoughts on this?

This is how I do it.

CueTable Help


Joe Tucker talks about this on his racking secrets video. In 10 ball there really is no safe place to put the 5 like in 9-ball where you would put the 5 in the second row behind the 1. You just have to observe how the table is breaking and make a good judgment call. Your best 2 choices of placement for the 5 ball are either one of the 2 middle balls in the back row like you have it now or in the 3rd row on either side of the 10. If you rack the 5 9 ball style in the 2nd row behind the 1, those 2 balls have a tendency to go in the sides.

I highly recommend Joe Tucker's racking secrets to help you learn more about this subject. He gives great information on 9-ball, 10-ball, 8-ball, and 14-1 rack reading. http://www.joetucker.net
 
Last edited:
on the ten ball,the 5 is ok,replace the 7 with the 10,and you will be good
to go.if you go to 3 payballs ,like 3,5,10 -put them together .the 3 and the 5 behind the 10.
 
Back
Top