How Do You Regain Your Composure?

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Yesterday I was at a local establishment with a friend shooting some partners (scotch doubles) 9 ball, the usual game played is a race to 5 for 20. My partner is a much better player than I, and we started the first set strong, getting out front 3-0. I was having trouble with speed control, leaving my partner tough, but I was hitting what I was shooting at and he was able to work with what I left him. Then in the 4th rack things started going south, little things and the next thing you know, it's 4-3 with the other team on the hill. I blow a shot I should have made and we lose the first set. Down 20 we go again. I was worthless, my confidence suddenly evaproated (I was responsible for losing the first set after all) I struggled through the next set. I felt like I was missing all but the easiest shots, and we lost that set 5-4. I think it was close because of my partner. I was game to go one more but my partner wisely pulled up and I sat down. He managed to get a heads up game with 2 different guys winning 5 straight sets getting our money back and enough to pay for lunch.

Looking back at it I can see where I fell apart in the match. I can see my play deteriorate despite my best efforts to the contrary. I was feeling horrible about losing my partners 40. This was only the second time we have played together in a non tourney setting. The first time we broke even. Aside from that, the only gambling I have done is a 50 cent ring game on Sunday's (5 or 6 guys playing) cheap, and no one gets hurt. It's tough to find anyone who will play for more.

The question....
When your game breaks down mentally, what do you do to get your head back in and your stroke back? How do you restore your confidence when you are playing poorly? It's not like the other team was overwhelming, we should have come out on top. I got rattled because I was playing poorly not because the other team was so good. Was it the money? Maybe it was not wanting to let my partner down that caused me to snowball to uselessness...

:help:

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
the first thing to remember here is that its tough to get into any kind of rythym playing scotch and your team is only as strong as the weaker player of the 2. try taking a little more time to think out each shot and imagine making the shot and where you want to leave shape for your partner..then try and execute it the way you saw it. hope this helps.

donthat

Registered
DelaWho??? said:
Yesterday I was at a local establishment with a friend shooting some partners (scotch doubles) 9 ball, the usual game played is a race to 5 for 20. My partner is a much better player than I, and we started the first set strong, getting out front 3-0. I was having trouble with speed control, leaving my partner tough, but I was hitting what I was shooting at and he was able to work with what I left him. Then in the 4th rack things started going south, little things and the next thing you know, it's 4-3 with the other team on the hill. I blow a shot I should have made and we lose the first set. Down 20 we go again. I was worthless, my confidence suddenly evaproated (I was responsible for losing the first set after all) I struggled through the next set. I felt like I was missing all but the easiest shots, and we lost that set 5-4. I think it was close because of my partner. I was game to go one more but my partner wisely pulled up and I sat down. He managed to get a heads up game with 2 different guys winning 5 straight sets getting our money back and enough to pay for lunch.

Looking back at it I can see where I fell apart in the match. I can see my play deteriorate despite my best efforts to the contrary. I was feeling horrible about losing my partners 40. This was only the second time we have played together in a non tourney setting. The first time we broke even. Aside from that, the only gambling I have done is a 50 cent ring game on Sunday's (5 or 6 guys playing) cheap, and no one gets hurt. It's tough to find anyone who will play for more.

The question....
When your game breaks down mentally, what do you do to get your head back in and your stroke back? How do you restore your confidence when you are playing poorly? It's not like the other team was overwhelming, we should have come out on top. I got rattled because I was playing poorly not because the other team was so good. Was it the money? Maybe it was not wanting to let my partner down that caused me to snowball to uselessness...

I think you were probably trying too hard for your partners sake, which caused you to think too much. I play golf with a few of PGA club pros and I see this mistake all the time. Guys try so hard to do well, not for their own sake, but for the pros that they try to make shots their not capable of. I've seen guys feel so bad that they played poorly that they try and pay off the whole bet themselves. Remember you may be your partners hero today, but next week he may very well be your opponent. Do the best you can, even if it's not your best and move on.

Reactions: Siz

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night, my wife was asking me why I kept practicing when I obviously wasn't enjoying myself; I kept missing fairly easy shots when I shouldn't have and it was frustrating me. I explained to her that in the middle of a match, I don't get to stop because I'm not playing well but, instead, have to learn to shoot my way out of it. That's when she understood about practice and why I do it. :smile:

The trick I use, once I get a grip on my emotions (that may be the most difficult part) is to stop thinking about making the ball and instead focus all my concentration on my preshot routine, picking my aim, setting my stance, placing the cue, practice strokes, set, pause and finish. At the end, my focus is only on making a perfect stroke. If I do all that, and miss, then I know it was my aim. Typically though, I begin making everything and get back in stroke.

I'm here to tell you that this technique, the mantra of my game, I learned how to do from Randy G and Scott Lee last summer at pool school and it's really raised my game and continues to do so.

Brian in VA

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I never liked or played much doubles. I feel that I'm letting my partner down every time I miss a shot or leave him/her with bad shape. If that bothers you, you may not be cut out for doubles either. Johnnyt

Android

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money changes Everything

Money changes everything. Money and a partner changes things even more. You start thinking "What If"
What if I miss this shot
What if I miss my position
What if I scratch
What if we blow this lead
What if I can't get back in stroke
Thoughts like this become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Money = pressure
Money and a Partner = more pressure
The only way is to get used to the pressure, you will never get rid of it but you can learn to cope with it.
Just my 2 cent worth.

Andy

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:

The question....

I'm not going to give you any advice on what to do when you break down but what I will do is tell you a little secret about playing "partners" anything: When you play partners, each person must do what they are capable of doing. Do not expect yourself to do more than your norm. When you start trying to make up for your partner's lack of (fill in the blank) or try to carry more of the load than you are able to carry, things go down hill fast. In partner games there are many directions that the fickle wind blows and you have to resist the temptation to take the responsibility for winning upon your shoulders as it will only capitulate to your worst nightmares. Your partner knows how "well" you play and if you play your normal game, not expecting to play as well as he does or to carry more of a load than you are used to, you will do fine.

JoeyA (likes partner games and is very good at them, coaching or no coaching)

Trent

Banned
the best way i have found to regain your composure is to take a deep breath and think of times when you have beat great or good players, times that you have played well and just focus on your breathing and what you have to do at the table. after you make a couple balls and see your out or play a good safe you will be ready to win for sure

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
One of my favorite moments in "The Hustler" demonstrates this very phenomenon. Fats was down thousands and he goes into the restroom, cleans himself and you can see in his face he is ready to go. I know it was a movie, but the concept is he mentally got away from a moment, and came back to the table ready to play.

Ever since watching that scene I do the same thing, closing my eyes in the restroom and listen to my heart-beat and breathing. The idea is to focus on something other than the match.

After you have a clear head, as Brian in VA indicated, pay attention to the fundamentals during the pre-shot routine. The last thing I woudl suggest is to keep things simple until you gain confidence. If you feel you have less than 90% chance to make the shot, look for a safety. When you find a safety ask, which shot do I have a greater chance to execute.

All of this will surprisingly bring you mind back into playing winning pool instead of being focused on your previous mistakes.

Good Luck!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
I never liked or played much doubles. I feel that I'm letting my partner down every time I miss a shot or leave him/her with bad shape. If that bothers you, you may not be cut out for doubles either. Johnnyt

I'm with you on this, I never liked playing partners of any kind. It's never been fun for me.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:

The question....

This is a great question Dela, and we've all been there. I wish I had a good answer for you. I think you've gotten some good advice already on here. You are obviously tensing up when something like this happens. So the question is what do you need to do to relax.

For me years ago when I found myself losing confidence, I might have a drink (one beer worked fine since I wasn't a drinker) or I might go outside and take a couple of hits on a 'J'. Yes, I really said that. Anything to change my "mood" at the moment, and relax my nerves. This actually worked for me more than once.

One other "trick" that can miraculously make a difference is to change cues. Yes, I said change cues. Find the best house cue you can find and rough up the tip and play a game or two with it. You will find yourself focusing/concentrating on something besides your poor play. It just may be just the trick to loosen you up. After you've played a game or two with the house cue (or borrowed cue), go back to your own cue. You may find that you're more relaxed now.

Don't ask me why this sh-t works? Just call it decades of experience and suffering many losses. :cool:

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Regaining Composure

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but this is the best move. This move was a move before other moves became "moves."

"THE BATHROOM BREAK"

As soon as you think you're walking into a shit storm, just go to the bathroom for a few minutes (make sure others are around to make sure there's no cheating).

If you're shooting and at the table and you just dogged your nuts out... walk to the bathroom and let the other guy shoot. Not sure why, people dog when their opponents aren't present - maybe a guilt of shooting or lackadaisical attitude - not sure.

If you don't believe me, try it. When it starts working like crazy... rep me.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:

The question....

I like to ask my partner where he would like to be on the next shot...that helps me make up my mind when i commit to the shot and it also helps to forget about how bad i'm playing...at that moment...which is the most important right?? Itonly takes a couple seconds to pull the trigger so just work on gettin rid of those demons for like 3 seconds and you'll be fine=))

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Jay's suggestion to grab a stick off the wall. Will try that next time ... won't be too long a wait!:wink:

Also, I agree that a beer can settle the nerves ... in fact, if you pay attention, you'll notice your heart rate going down and the feeling of pressure in your chest easing. Better yet, drink first to avoid the rush later!

A few weeks back I was in a tourney and playing tight in my first match, but going against somebody (better than me usually, but off) who'd dropped down in handicap and muttered that he "just can't win." We were both playing awfully, but somehow I ended up beerless and 4-0 in the hole. Couldn't find the waitress, so I hustled up to the bar and got a beer ... downed it in the course of a game or two and had another. Soon it was 4-4 ... then more lousiness led to 4-6, but then as I finished beer No. 2, I ended up "winning" 7-6.

Don't worry too much and keep it simple, I'd say, if the wheels start falling off.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't read this whole thread but I do think scotch doubles is a good game to play if you are going to play doubles. It seems to me like I focus more on my position. If I leave myself bad I cant get mad at anyone but myself but if I leave my partner bad it is bad for the team. Also, you both get about an even amount of shots. In regular doubles you might be the person getting hooked every time :smile:

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Brian in VA said:
Last night, my wife was asking me why I kept practicing when I obviously wasn't enjoying myself; I kept missing fairly easy shots when I shouldn't have and it was frustrating me. I explained to her that in the middle of a match, I don't get to stop because I'm not playing well but, instead, have to learn to shoot my way out of it. That's when she understood about practice and why I do it. :smile:

The trick I use, once I get a grip on my emotions (that may be the most difficult part) is to stop thinking about making the ball and instead focus all my concentration on my preshot routine, picking my aim, setting my stance, placing the cue, practice strokes, set, pause and finish. At the end, my focus is only on making a perfect stroke. If I do all that, and miss, then I know it was my aim. Typically though, I begin making everything and get back in stroke.

I'm here to tell you that this technique, the mantra of my game, I learned how to do from Randy G and Scott Lee last summer at pool school and it's really raised my game and continues to do so.

Brian in VA

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

"T"

Son of Da Poet
Silver Member
A good safe never hurts!

Oh wait, that's right, Scotch Doubles. Always gotta go for it! :D

Last edited:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I remember loosing $150.00 of my buddies money.My partner was a much stronger player then either of our oponents who were slighty lower then my skill level at the time.Even though I was playing horribly my partner kept at them because he knew it would be easy if I just played bad and not horrendously bad.

Looking back I think what happened was I started out missing a few shots and then became self conscious,pretty soon it felt like 3 against 1,as I imagined my partners horror at me missing such easy shots.

The mental game of pool can be more difficult at times when playing scotch doubles.Generaly my mental game is stronger when playing scotch then singles but when it goes bad it can get very bad.