How good is/was Scotty Townsend?

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how good he played in his prime? And how good he is now? I saw him play at the U.S. Open several years ago and he didn't seem like anything special at all, but I've been told by more than one person that he was a monster, that he could run out whole sets, never miss all night. Any truth to this?

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty was a warrior !

He had more heart than you could ever imagine...I've bet quite a bit on Scotty & probally lost more than I won since Scotty was never really about matching up...even before the internet when someone could actually sneak around & make a decent living gamblin at pool...he never really played the hustler role..his was more like...say if you & him were to be in some lil town that had gamble...Even if he wasn't recognized..He'd be like who's ya'lls best player...HE GOT THE 7...when he was younger he outrun the nuts a bunch of times...like Jay said..He was a bar table champion... but had a decent big table game as well....He might have lost a step from the Scotty of old but he can still catch a gear these days...Sure is a hoot to be around tho...You never no what the old wild man will have up his sleave..lol

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I heard he was one of the best bar box players ever. I saw him play on TAR over a year ago in a bar box tournament...in Kansas I think it was. He looked like he could still play well. I believe he got married recently. Johnnyt

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I've watched him play a few times and he is one of the best. We had a McDermott tour stop at our local pool in the mid 90's. Goodtime Charlie, Charlie Brown, and I were sitting and watching Scotty play a tight match with Hippy Dave. The score was tied at 7 when Hippy asked Randy G. (TD) to watch a hit, Randy called the hit good, Hippy did not contest the call, but Scotty went over and picked up the cue ball and handed it to Hippy and said it was a bad hit. Randy G. said I said it was a good hit and Scotty said I called it bad because the angle I had to hit the OB it was bad. Hippy stood their dazed and Randy said it's your shot Hippy. Hippy ran out, then broke and ran out to win the match. Charlie Brown asked Scotty what did you do that for? Scotty said it was a bad hit, I called it on myself.

Very classy in my book for a player to do!

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he was one of the best bar box players ever. I saw him play on TAR over a year ago in a bar box tournament...in Kansas I think it was. He looked like he could still play well. I believe he got married recently. Johnnyt

It was the Kansas ring game. I think he had around a 5 pack for one stretch during that match.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how good he played in his prime? And how good he is now? I saw him play at the U.S. Open several years ago and he didn't seem like anything special at all, but I've been told by more than one person that he was a monster, that he could run out whole sets, never miss all night. Any truth to this?

Just my opinion. He didn't play as good as he may have was he strictly a tournament player.
As good as he played, there was a level he didn't reach that seemed to be there.. This can be said about so many road players.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Scotty Townsend

Aside from Scotty being a Bar Box Champion he is a very humorous and fun guy to be around, you should here him tell jokes, he's got a lot of them, he's literally had crowds of people at Calvin's bar in tears before!:)

David Harcrow

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Beautiful...

I've watched him play a few times and he is one of the best. We had a McDermott tour stop at our local pool in the mid 90's. Goodtime Charlie, Charlie Brown, and I were sitting and watching Scotty play a tight match with Hippy Dave. The score was tied at 7 when Hippy asked Randy G. (TD) to watch a hit, Randy called the hit good, Hippy did not contest the call, but Scotty went over and picked up the cue ball and handed it to Hippy and said it was a bad hit. Randy G. said I said it was a good hit and Scotty said I called it bad because the angle I had to hit the OB it was bad. Hippy stood their dazed and Randy said it's your shot Hippy. Hippy ran out, then broke and ran out to win the match. Charlie Brown asked Scotty what did you do that for? Scotty said it was a bad hit, I called it on myself.

That's the kind of stuff legends are made of and from what I've heard he is definately that and more! Andy Gilbert has told me many a story about Scotty and although I've never gotten to know him personally he has my utmost respect and admiration. I wish I would have gotten to see him play in his prime! From what I've heard it was quite a show...psst...I hear it still is sometimes as well! :thumbup:

matta

Cue Snob
Silver Member

Haha! REAL WELL!

In '94 he won the world or US bar table championship. Honestly, I didn't know him at the time and have forgotten the exact title. He's an honest to goodness bar table champion. Title and all.

In the late 90's I was in Memphis at the Rack's Super Bowl Weekend tourney. I watched 6 guys playing a $100 ring game on the big table. Scotty runs 6 racks... 5 * 100 * 6 = $3000 without missing a ball.

Yeah, he could play a little. An he'll give just about anyone the 7 ball in story telling. He's a hoot to say the least.

The only shot I remember from the 6 pack. It was a doozie:

CueTable Help

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player came into the US Open practice room once amazed that Scotty had just run 7 and out on CJ Wiley to strand him on the hill when CJ was right at the top of the rankings. I just said, "Don't you know who Scotty Townsend is?"

I heard he ran 8 racks of 10 ball in that Memphis ring game one year. He's a champion player, no doubt about it. Finished 3rd in the Camel World 9 Ball once, but he's never played the pro tour full time that I'm aware of. Someone should sponsor him to play all the pro events.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

I remember that very well, Scotty was even sober. I think Scotty has a big problem, the more he drinks the better he plays..:)

Absolutely a great guy....SPF=randyg

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you walked into a place and didn't know who he was, he would be the first person that you would want to try to match up with, that is until you stood back and watched him move around the table. About 2 minutes of that stroke and you would know that you were in a bad situation.

Scotty is the only great player that you will ever see who would rather play wearing cowboy boots.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Scotty is the only great player that you will ever see who would rather play wearing cowboy boots.

Guess you never saw JR Brown play. Always in cowboy boots.

David Gomez as well.

In Memphis a few years back, Scotty called me and friend outside to show us his trunk and the remnants of an alligator he had just wrestled and killed before he came up for the tournament.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
When I played him years ago, he not only had the boots but the matching belt with a big a$$ buckle. Nice look on him.:)

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catpool being country calvins brother could prob tell u this story better than I since i heard it from players that was there & wasn't there personally to witness....But 20 sumthin years back Scotty gave Calvin the 7 on the lil table...$1000 a set race to 9..& Scotty won the flip & broke & run 9..they flipped again & Scotty broke & run 9 again..for a total of 18 in a row....They said Calvin was steaming mad..flipping over chairs screamin...G.d Dammit..I still love the game but I'm out of money..lol...I know He musta thought he had the nuts because the line was that it was a even game...so the 7 was way out of line....but u can't win if u don't shoot...lol

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Scotty Townsend & Country Calvin

Catpool being country calvins brother could prob tell u this story better than I since i heard it from players that was there & wasn't there personally to witness....But 20 sumthin years back Scotty gave Calvin the 7 on the lil table...$1000 a set race to 9..& Scotty won the flip & broke & run 9..they flipped again & Scotty broke & run 9 again..for a total of 18 in a row....They said Calvin was steaming mad..flipping over chairs screamin...G.d Dammit..I still love the game but I'm out of money..lol...I know He musta thought he had the nuts because the line was that it was a even game...so the 7 was way out of line....but u can't win if u don't shoot...lol

Well Troy you pretty well sumed it up, that did happen, I'd say back in 95', over in Monroe,La. after one of the big tournaments they had at Shooters.

Up until that time Calvin always gave Scotty the last two, thats how they had been matchin up for years, was always a coin flip you know as to who would win, but that day Scotty was feeling Cocky and had a stakehorse that wanted to bet something.

Calvin really didn't want to play Scotty, being his home turff-n-all, and besides they usually played 2 or 3 days you know, a very hard game to say the least.

Scotty won the tournament and Calvin was 2nd, Calvin, I believe did have the NUTS if he woulda ever got a shot, cause at that time in his life he could run a 10 pack on the bar box, and getting the wild 7 , maybe more, but if your playing a player that can string 10 or more racks together a spot is useless, unless its the break!( that calibar of players anyway).

But when your outta CASH your outta CASH!, they still had a beer and a shot of whiskey together afterwards!, Scotty, Calvin,Charlie Owens & Me are as tight as you can be with one another, I Love Um All!!!!!!! :)

David Harcrow

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If pros could be categorized into upper,middle and lower tiers he will be in the middle tier.I know him very well.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to respectfully disagree !

If pros could be categorized into upper,middle and lower tiers he will be in the middle tier.I know him very well.

I've known Scotty well too for 20 plus years & especially on the bar box..not alot of upper level players considered him EASY....the worst knock on Scotty is/was his matching up ability...He could be getting his brains beat in but had the attitude...wait till the worm turns & it will be my time...all time best at any game...No....But middle tier..not even close..if you talkin Scotty from 20 plus years ago...If he ever had not the live for to day attitude...who knows..but that is also what made Scotty...Scotty....IMHO

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
When I was Living in North West Florida he was to be feared on any one-pocket or 9 ball table.