How many do you recognize?

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a picture from the late 70s tournament at the El Rancho or Senator Hotel in Sacramento. This tournament was put on by Terry Stonier and the Jointed Cue. Lots of familiar names in this picture. How many can you spot?

ElRanchoGroup.jpg

Last edited:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
This is a tough one. I'm not even sure about the people I labeled...

Attachments

• ElRanchoGroup.jpg
    ElRanchoGroup.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,054

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy in the white pants looks like Charlie Williams dad!!!!!!!:grin:

Gary

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Varner was the only one I could pick out. It's a tough angle from some distance with a bit o graininess. That said, I bet some of our more esteemed members here will have 'em outted rather soon!

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is to the right of the side pocket

the 2nd guy from the right is....uhhh...damn...he played in the challenge of champions a few years back...great player....

long haired guy?.....Blackjack?

machine gun Lou next to Efren?

tough one there..

G>

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Isn't Okamura the third in from right (bottom row)?

Efren in the middle?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Keith McCready claims to have played in it. He said he played in all of his tournaments,
so he's there on the left side, way in the back. He said he won one of them in 1979. :)

I think I can recognize Keith, though Keith himself said it might be Dave Peoni [ph].

In the picture, it looks like Roy Fuddernick [ph], Danny Jones on the right end with the
plaid suit, some guy from Hawaii with the baseball cap sitting in the bleachers
(Hawaiian Jay's friend), blond dude in the back Dick McDermott [ph], Dave Peoni [ph] or Keith McCready,
bald-headed dude in the bleachers looks like Lou Butera, Fujiara [ph] something sitting
next to Danny Jones, and maybe Danny Medina sitting behind Danny Jones.

If you get me the month and year of this tournament, I can provide an EXACT
player roster list.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Is that Cornbread in the low/center with his arms crossed?

I can't tell for sure, but it definitely resembles him.

Like the above poster, I recognize the guy second from right, that play in the COC, just can't recall his name.

Maggiemay

Registered
Efren is to the right of the side pocket

the 2nd guy from the right is....uhhh...damn...he played in the challenge of champions a few years back...great player....

long haired guy?.....Blackjack?

machine gun Lou next to Efren?

tough one there..

G>

I don't think Efren was in the states in the 70's but the guy all the way in the back with the beard looks like Arturo Rivera.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Efren was in the states in the 70's but the guy all the way in the back with the beard looks like Arturo Rivera.

no no no I meant Cesar Morales? :)

Okumura....yea thats him....cept He's real young!...very cool!

G.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well you guys got a few right and several wrong. The first guy closest to the camera is Danny Jones. Next to him is Kazuo Fujima, the grand daddy of Japanese pool. Next to him is Takashi Okumura, a great Japanese player. Yes it is Varner up there in the second row, but the guy in the ball cap is none other than Hawaiian Brian. Much further down that row is Lou Butera and his wife Carrie. The guy someone labeled as Mike Sigel is actually Billy Stroud. Next to him is Roy Futternick and two further down is Jeff Carter. Further down in the second row with long black hair and a mustache is Benny Conway. I haven't found Keith yet.

Last edited: