How much did your playing cue cost?

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I have a predator with a Z2 shaft; have about $800 in it but then later I bought a Jacoby shaft for $200 that fit my Predator butt (perfection). Also got a break cue for $100; a buddy of mine pratically gave it to me; I think it is worth around $300.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
My player ran a whopping $125 new, from a South Philly hall in 1974, after a match when Hopkins robbed the Miz in 9 ball. It was sold to me as being a Palmer, but after further inspection, no one on the planet can ID it. To this day, I sleep with it under my pillow. BTW, that's not the original butt cap and it has a brass threaded dowell through the ferrule.

Palmer cue & book compressed.JPG

Palmer butt compressed.JPG

Culinarytracker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player is Pechauer I bought in 1996 for $750
Jump/Break is a Jerico Cues Stinger that I paid about $350 for I think
My loaner cue is a Dufferin (Green Leaf) that I paid about $30 for when I was 8 years old. It plays great.

Carl

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My player ran a whopping $125 new, from a South Philly hall in 1974, after a match when Hopkins robbed the Miz in 9 ball. It was sold to me as being a Palmer, but after further inspection, no one on the planet can ID it. To this day, I sleep with it under my pillow. BTW, that's not the original butt cap and it has a brass threaded dowell through the ferrule.

View attachment 307230

View attachment 307231

KoolKat--If I were to try and Identify the Cue--Abe Rich would Be My Answer-Nice Looking Cue.
I Still Have My Player That I Bought New In 1978, For 250.00 Made By Gus Szamboti
Greatest Hitting Cue,,To This Day I Have Ever Held--I Wish I Knew How To Post Pics
But I'm Doing Well To Just Type--LOL

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
KoolKat--If I were to try and Identify the Cue--Abe Rich would Be My Answer-Nice Looking Cue.
I Still Have My Player That I Bought New In 1978, For 250.00 Made By Gus Szamboti
Greatest Hitting Cue,,To This Day I Have Ever Held--I Wish I Knew How To Post Pics
But I'm Doing Well To Just Type--LOL

Thanks Chip. You paid $250 for a Gus? Man, did you get robbed! ;)

I had every cue maker/enthusiast/company try to ID mine: Barry Sz, Abbott, Schick, Rubino, Tate, Viking (who put dowells in ferrules back then), and a hoard of others. I went to great lengths trying. I can only best guess that someone, involved in the Balner stable, was doing side jobs.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CoolKat--I brought up Abe Rich because of the rings above the butt cap--that's a tell tell to me--may have been others that did that work--but he made a lot of cues with those tell tell rings--one thing to add ,,if it is indeed a Rich cue--it's a rare one,,because of the full splices.
:thumbup:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
CoolKat--I brought up Abe Rich because of the rings above the butt cap--that's a tell tell to me--may have been others that did that work--but he made a lot of cues with those tell tell rings--one thing to add ,,if it is indeed a Rich cue--it's a rare one,,because of the full splices.
:thumbup:

Palmer joint compressed.JPG

Thanks Chip for the input! :) Here's a joint. I love this cue, 'cause it only shoots straight for me (every 4th time unless I'm playing Sonar ;)). I took it to The Cup in my suitcase. Pulled it out in a 5 way ring game and chalked... the ferrule. Freakin sniper tip got popped off in transit. Grrr. Can't play Sonar in American Rotation til after cue repairman gets on it wednes night. Grrr

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Paid $20 and won my S & S cue made by Paul Summerall out of Lubbock, Tx. in a raffle. It hits like a dream.

Actual retail is about $800. Bought an extra shaft for $120.

Everyone whom I've let try it says it's one of the best hitting cue they've ever had in their hands.

Not for sale. This one is going to the grave with me.

Stones

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultimately $300 - did some work for the owner of Schon, got a cue as payment, then through a series of 2 trades, one with money added, ended up with a nice limited edition cue worth $2K or so.

Also still have my original Runde-era R6, whatever that's worth these days (paid $350 for it in 1987 with 2 shafts). Plus Break cue (about $300), Jump (Lomax, about $250), miscellaneous other stuff.

Not about the bling though for me, just happened to acquire this stuff over time. If everything was gone tomorrow and I had to do it again, just give me a solid, well weighted butt and strap my shaft of choice on it and I'd be fine, although sad... :)

Scott

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saving these posts for when these cues come up for sale :groucho:

I'm in my Carmeli 1400.00. I shoot it daily and in the league.

Carmeli4.jpg

Last edited:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started playing again I dug out an old Adams cue I paid $25 for. It was stolen; so I bought a Players cue from the pool hall I played at the most for $75 and a cheap "Smart Cue" break cue for $40. In 05 I bought a Shurtz for $300 - made here in Wichita. I've used it ever since. A couple weeks ago I was checking out pawn shops here for a jump/break cue and found a non jump/break Joss cue for $100 - couldn't pass it up - it looked almost new and came with a case and some other stuff. After some research I found out it sells new for a little over $300. So, I got a good deal. I like the way it plays too. As good or better than my Shurtz; although I'm still comparing the two.

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 40 years of playing I've bought a load of cues and have only sold 4 or 5. Right now I'm playing a Jeff Olney 6 point that I recently acquired for $400. Definitely my favorite. $50 for a BK2 which I picked up in a package deal that included a Joss cue. (I got both with a case for $400, sold the case for 50 and the Joss for $300. ) My backup is a Predator Ikon 9 I picked up with 3 shafts for $800. I've probably bought 4 cues new in my life.

I have friends who swear on their cue even though I would never own one. It's a pretty personal thing, whatever the cost.

Years ago a buddy and I were headed into a room with our cues on our shoulder. Across the street was a raceway for RC cars. He mentioned that those guys were nuts spending 7 or 8 hundred bucks on model cars. I asked him what his cue cost, he said he paid close to $1000. I said " You know they would say you're the crazy one right"?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a number of playing cues over the years that have ranged in price from $150 - $3,000 or so.

The cue I finally settled in on as my player/keeper was on the very low end of that range.

Attachments

• Sugartree01.jpg
    Sugartree01.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Sugartree02.jpg
    Sugartree02.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 316