How to get a Fargo rating? I'm sure it's been posted millions of times but I need it.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
How does one get a Fargo rating? I think I'll be in the 500-600 rating but curious how to get it done. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, I've moved to Palm Desert, CA and there is nothing near for 80 miles or so. I've changed my format to show where I live.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Play in a few Fargo-based tournaments and the tournament director will report your stats to Fargo rate.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA or USAPL leagues all report. There may be others. Also, a lot of larger tournaments report…

Stellar1024

Registered
700 is nearly pro level... I hang out at a pool hall nearly every day and don't personally know any 700's... (I know of a few, but don't know them).. so you'd have to be pretty flippin' good!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I've change my estimate of my rating. Now 500-600. Have two buddies I play with and they are rated 582-3. I beat them 75% of the time. SO that is how I guessed my rating. I'm wondering if someone can fly someplace and get rated instantly. Maybe (Fargo, ND)? ha

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've change my estimate of my rating. Now 500-600. Have two buddies I play with and they are rated 582-3. I beat them 75% of the time. SO that is how I guessed my rating. I'm wondering if someone can fly someplace and get rated instantly. Maybe (Fargo, ND)? ha
You will have to go to Billings MT and pay up first!🙄

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've change my estimate of my rating. Now 500-600. I'm wondering if someone can fly someplace and get rated instantly. Maybe (Fargo, ND)? ha
I’m curious. Why do you “need” a rating?

The way it works is that you initially receive a starter rating that’s kind of a guesstimate based upon people who know your game a bit. It takes 200 games reported into FargoRate to become “established“. Until you reach 200 games your rating is labeled “preliminary”.

Some tournament directors require a certain, minimum number of games reported (known as robustness) in order to play in any tournaments that are limited to players at or below a certain rating. As an example, a tournament limited to only those with a 650 FargoRate or lower may require at least 200 games in the system as an attempt to ensure that extremely talented players don’t sneak into the field to rob us ordinary bangers…

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m curious. Why do you “need” a rating?

The way it works is that you initially receive a starter rating that’s kind of a guesstimate Based upon people who know your game a bit. It takes 200 games reported into FargoRate to become “established“. Until you reach 200 games your rating is labeled “preliminary”.

Some tournament directors require a certain, minimum number of games reported (known as robustness) in order to play in any tournaments that are limited to players at or below a certain rating. As an example, a tournament limited to only those with a 650 FargoRate or lower may require at least 200 games in the system as an attempt to ensure that extremely talented players don’t sneak into the field to rob us ordinary bangers…
I guess you are right. It's just that I play against two players that are 580 and was hoping I could get rated someway. BUT, I'm not going in to start in the evening at 7:30 and watch the #2 women play. Can't do that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Non related question.

How does it go up or down in relation to your wins and losses?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess you are right. It's just that I play against two players that are 580 and was hoping I could get rated someway. BUT, I'm not going in to start in the evening at 7:30 and watch the #2 women play. Can't do that.
There is an app called Salotto and you can play private matches with your buddies to start to get a Fargo rating. (I'm guessing it can handle a non-rated new player.) I think there is a per match charge.

The app can also find other matches in your area.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
There is an app called Salotto and you can play private matches with your buddies to start to get a Fargo rating. (I'm guessing it can handle a non-rated new player.) I think there is a per match charge.

The app can also find other matches in your area.
Tried that but it doesn't work.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How does it go up or down in relation to your wins and losses?
This is probably explained on the FargoRate site, but basically, the system looks at your wins and losses and looks at the strengths of all your opponents and calculates your most likely rating based on all the games it has for you in the system. There are lots of details, but it's more or less that simple.

It recalculates everyone's rating every day using all 19 million games it has recorded. This means that your rating can change between matches as the system figures out that your opponents were stronger than it had figured before. Or vice versa. Your rating will move faster if you don't have many games in the system.

Here's the FAQ: https://www.fargorate.com/#faq

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It works for some people. What was the issue?
Hi Bob. I believe that the player has to be in the Fargo Rate system already for the Salotto app to be viable. To select the players you have to search in the FR database and choose who is playing. Fargo Rate does a lot to make sure they credit the right people with the right outcomes, and equally that they prevent gaming.

To the original poster: Are there any leagues or tournaments in your area? The best thing to do is ask if they submit results to Fargo Rate and encourage them to do so. Fargo Rate grows from the bottom up, meaning players pressuring tournament and league directors.

If nothing in your area reports the only way to get a Fargo Rate would be to travel and play where it is reported.

gerryf

Hi Bob. I believe that the player has to be in the Fargo Rate system already for the Salotto app to be viable. To select the players you have to search in the FR database and choose who is playing. Fargo Rate does a lot to make sure they credit the right people with the right outcomes, and equally that they prevent gaming.

To the original poster: Are there any leagues or tournaments in your area? The best thing to do is ask if they submit results to Fargo Rate and encourage them to do so. Fargo Rate grows from the bottom up, meaning players pressuring tournament and league directors.

If nothing in your area reports the only way to get a Fargo Rate would be to travel and play where it is reported.
But if you download the FargoRate app, you can register and get a starter rating.