How to get a Fargo rating? I'm sure it's been posted millions of times but I need it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've change my estimate of my rating. Now 500-600. Have two buddies I play with and they are rated 582-3. I beat them 75% of the time. SO that is how I guessed my rating. I'm wondering if someone can fly someplace and get rated instantly. Maybe (Fargo, ND)? ha
if you beat them 75% you are probably 600
somewhere in the fargo site there is an estimate of percent win or something like that in a match up based on fargo scores
btw
hope all is well (y)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some caution the two guys you play against and beat, how many games do they have in the system each? If less than 200, their rating is provisional and could be off a lot.

For context, it takes about a 650 to beat the 9 ball ghost on a standard 9’ GC more times than not.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you beat them 75% you are probably 600
somewhere in the fargo site there is an estimate of percent win or something like that in a match up based on fargo scores
btw
hope all is well (y)
If he honestly beats them 75 games out of every 100 played, that means he wins 75 games for every 25 they win.

By definition a 100 point difference in FargoRate means that the higher rated player wins 2 games for every one that the lower rated player wins.

In this case, he’d be winning 3 games to 1 and be rated 150 points higher. Somewhere in the 735 range. World class. Top 50 rated in the U.S. right now…

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
But if you download the FargoRate app, you can register and get a starter rating.
The app will assign him a starter rating of 525 and it will remain right there until such time as he starts playing games that are reported and then the results will adjust his rating each game until he reaches 200 games at which time it will become stable enough to be meaningful.

Dennis, If you wish to start with a higher starter rating I believe you will have to be initially entered into the system by someone like me who has access to LMS based on known ability. PM me if you want to get going with say a 575 starter rating and I can do it for you. I trust that is around your minimum speed based on what I know about your game.

Maybe then you can use Salotto successfully and in a meaningful way. And your rating will adjust accordingly.

Or you can get off your ass and go test your mettle in some tournaments. (y)

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Could I check something Fargo-related?

According to the FargoRate web site:
"Fargo ratings are based on the results of 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball games played on either 9-foot or 7-foot tables."

Does that mean every game is treated as equivalent, so an 8-ball result and a 10-ball result feed into the stats in exactly the same way?

Also, the 200 games: Is that 200 racks, or 200 matches (each of which might consist of several racks)?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The app will assign him a starter rating of 525 and it will remain right there until such time as he starts playing games that are reported and then the results will adjust his rating each game until he reaches 200 games at which time it will become stable enough to be meaningful.

Dennis, If you wish to start with a higher starter rating I believe you will have to be initially entered into the system by someone like me who has access to LMS based on known ability. PM me if you want to get going with say a 575 starter rating and I can do it for you. I trust that is around your minimum speed based on what I know about your game.

Maybe then you can use Salotto successfully and in a meaningful way. And your rating will adjust accordingly.

Or you can get off your ass and go test your mettle in some tournaments. (y)

To the OP - LMS is the FargoRate League Management System (I also have access) and is used by league operators to manage their schedules, tournaments, etc. This is the software that will be used regardless of what direction you go to get you into the system.

The key is, your friends will also need to download the Salotto app then you can play against each other and submit those matches to Fargo. There is a fee, I believe it's 2.99 for a race to 7 and goes up the more games you play. Seems if Fargo and Salotto REALLY wanted to get more games into their systems they would come up with a better pricing structure (but that's my personal opinion from personal experience). Either way, if there's no leagues in your area this is the only way you'll get a Fargo unless you travel to tournaments.

And is it a coincidence you live near Ned Morris and use nothing but his cues :) He's good people and makes a great product, I own one myself.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Fargo ratings are based on the results of 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball games played on either 9-foot or 7-foot tables."

Does that mean every game is treated as equivalent, so an 8-ball result and a 10-ball result feed into the stats in exactly the same way?

Also, the 200 games: Is that 200 racks, or 200 matches (each of which might consist of several racks)?
Yes, all types of games are counted equally.

It‘s individual racks. As an example, if you play a race to 7 with a final score of 7/4, you will have 11 games entered into the system.

Reactions: Pin

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he honestly beats them 75 games out of every 100 played, that means he wins 75 games for every 25 they win.

By definition a 100 point difference in FargoRate means that the higher rated player wins 2 games for every one that the lower rated player wins.

In this case, he’d be winning 3 games to 1 and be rated 150 points higher. Somewhere in the 735 range. World class. Top 50 rated in the U.S. right now…
Saying “I beat them 75% of the time” could also mean he wins 75% of the races they play and the opponent made it to the hill.

I think that case is more likely than the way you interpreted it:)

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The app will assign him a starter rating of 525 and it will remain right there until such time as he starts playing games that are reported and then the results will adjust his rating each game until he reaches 200 games at which time it will become stable enough to be meaningful. (y)

I signed up in the Fargo app about two years ago but haven’t gotten any games in the system yet. Started at 525 but it’s down to 211 now with 0 robustness.

Sorry, just checked again and it says 210 now. I guess it goes down about 1 point every time they recompute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He probably means he wins 75 of the sets/days they play, not that he wins a full 75% of the games.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He probably means he wins 75 of the sets/days they play, not that he wins a full 75% of the games.
If they play sets to 5, a rating difference of 63 will give about a 3:1 set-win-ratio. That's about a 3:2 game win ratio.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you are right. It's just that I play against two players that are 580 and was hoping I could get rated someway. BUT, I'm not going in to start in the evening at 7:30 and watch the #2 women play. Can't do that.
Why don't you ask your buddies how the got their ratings and follow that course?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does one get a Fargo rating? I think I'll be in the 500-600 rating but curious how to get it done. Thanks.

If you are beating players that are 580 most of the time, with a 3/4 win ratio of sets, you are easily a 600, I would say a 620-630 which is a mid level A player.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I signed up in the Fargo app about two years ago but haven’t gotten any games in the system yet. Started at 525 but it’s down to 211 now with 0 robustness.

Sorry, just checked again and it says 210 now. I guess it goes down about 1 point every time they recompute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTF? Two yrs and you haven't turned in any matches? Why did you join? Covid related? Just curious.

Stellar1024

Registered

95% of my Fargo rating is from 8 ft tables... so I would think the definition should include them as well...

I always wondered if my 9 ball results counted for twice as much weight as my 8 ball results, considering in one night i would play 10 games of 9 ball, but only 5 games of 8 ball a night during 8 ball league. As far as game results go vs. a specific opponent, it doesn't differentiate between the two.

Reactions: Pin