How to Make? Ball counter above table- white and orange balls

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone made the white and orange ball game counter above their pool table? Can you buy them somewhere? I think I'd rather make one. Can't seem to find any info.
Thanks

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an idea. Go to a bead store. They probably have any color and size you want. You can string them on wire from a hardware store and stretch the wire between two secure points with a turnbuckle , also from a hardware store.????

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I bought a bunch of 5-packs of whiffle balls in white and red and strung them on a piece of small diameter rope. I strung up (8) white ones, a red one, then (8) more white ones.....race to 9 anyone?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wiffle balls?!? You mean this type of ball?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiffle_ball
180px-Wiffle_bat_and_ball.jpg

I guess a score counter made with these would be the "Romper Room version" of the traditional score counter. "Need to slide a 'bead' over? Sure, hold on a sec, let me use both hands..." :p

Methinks ping-pong balls might be a better idea. That's what's used on the score counters at the Derby City Classic -- just some ping-pong balls on a taught wire, of which is stretched between two wooden posts. And you can get ping-pong balls in any color; you can do the DCC color motif of white balls, with every fifth ball being a red one (to indicate a milestone marker), or something along these lines.

However, if you're going to keep score in 14.1, ping-pong balls (and certainly wiffle balls) aren't going to suffice; you'll need to go the true bead route, starting off with 50 beads for each side (100 total), or maybe more depending on how strong you play / desired match length.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Whiffle balls are the size of golf balls and have holes in them.

Wiffle-Ball-Baseball-ItemImg_5707003.jpg

PS. Dont use picture frame wire, as it won't stay flat. You need something heavier to maintain a straight clean line.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whiffle balls are the size of golf balls and have holes in them.

Wiffle-Ball-Baseball-ItemImg_5707003.jpg

PS. Dont use picture frame wire, as it won't stay flat. You need something heavier to maintain a straight clean line.

Ah, that just goes to show ya where I'm from -- in the Northeast (and especially NY), a "wiffle ball" is a large hollow plastic ball, a bit larger than a baseball, with cutouts on one side to induce extreme curving when thrown a special way. A narrow hollow plastic bat is used by the batter. It's a very common game in the summertime on the city streets.

Now I see this version of the word with the "h" consonant in it -- "whiffle" -- and it looks like a MUCH smaller ball, same size as a golf ball or thereabouts, with true holes symmetrically cut out all over the ball. That "whiffle ball" is a more reasonable size for a score counter than the "wiffle ball" I included a picture of above.

Thanks for the clarification!
-Sean

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy Whiffle balls at a sporting goods store or Wooden beads at a craft store. I used wooden beads strung up on a stiff brass welding rod.

Rod

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The balls you are looking for are golf ball whiffles. They are used for practice so you don't have to chase too far to retrieve them. You'll find them at most golf retailers or in the golf department of the big box sporting goods stores.

They really are only good for scoring races, but would be way too big if you strung enough to score 14.1.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Found this for the balls. Wiffle golf balls. Both white and orange.
https://www.golfcircuit.com/Practice-Wiffle-Golf-Balls-/__2293___12-Pack.html
3 bucks a pack of 12.

Then you'll need an aluminum 1/4 in. OD rod. (length will depend on how you want to set it up. Two strands, or one.) And then something to mount it in. Should be pretty easy.

I did mine out of wood and used pine box car wheels. Mounted them on the light I made. Was a fun project.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Ah, that just goes to show ya where I'm from -- in the Northeast (and especially NY), a "wiffle ball" is a large hollow plastic ball, a bit larger than a baseball, with cutouts on one side to induce extreme curving when thrown a special way. A narrow hollow plastic bat is used by the batter. It's a very common game in the summertime on the city streets.

Now I see this version of the word with the "h" consonant in it -- "whiffle" -- and it looks like a MUCH smaller ball, same size as a golf ball or thereabouts, with true holes symmetrically cut out all over the ball. That "whiffle ball" is a more reasonable size for a score counter than the "wiffle ball" I included a picture of above.

Thanks for the clarification!
-Sean

Looks like we both learned something new today. :p

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like this one?

Has anyone made the white and orange ball game counter above their pool table? Can you buy them somewhere? I think I'd rather make one. Can't seem to find any info.
Thanks

Go to fasteddysbilliards.com, click on facilities then the picture in upper right shows my setup, orange and white golf wiffle balls. You can click on picture for closeup. Strung with wire. Very simple and cheap. For 14-1 just order beads from most billiard supplies.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Ask your wife to take you to her favorite craft store. (I'm assuming you don't know the name of the place, or where it is located, since you sound like a guy) When you get there, have someone show you where the styrofoam balls are. Buy as many as you need.

Now this part you can handle. Go to a sporting goods store and get some heavy fishing line. DO NOT USE WIRE!!!!!!!!! String the balls on the fishing line, and string them above your light.

Wire can cause severe damage to your cue if you use your cue to slide the marker balls.

Steve