How to play better pool.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a secret:

Play more pool.

Quit watching videos, buying books, reading magazines, and posting to forums. Spend that time playing pool. You might say, "I'll do it in addition to playing pool", and I say spend that additional time playing more pool. Don't get me wrong--there are some great sources of information available...but none of them will do you as much good as practicing a shot you miss until you can't miss it.

A lot of stuff is fun to see or read about, but is pretty much useless when it comes to real play, For instance, the importance of a pendulum stroke. Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls without one. How about low deflection shafts? Or shaft diameter? None of that really matters. What really matters is picking a stick and sticking with it. Quit wasting time and money on new, "magical" sticks and shafts. Humans are very versatile. Efren shot some of his best pool with a cue that no good player would ever use. Just ask JoeyA. Talking (arguing) about this stuff on forums all day long will not help your game one bit--compared to playing more pool for the same amount of time.

You know, you could read some books about the physics of bicycle riding. And there are a few magazines. And videos. But nothing compares to actually getting on one.

For instance, let's talk about bank. Pretty hard stuff to do. It's easy to get caught up in reading about or watching videos showing you how to make 4- and 5-rail shots. But that's not important. Bank is won by consistently making 1-rail shots and getting shape for the next one. You hope you never have to shoot a hard shot, and instead you should probably play a safety, anyway.

Same thing is true for regular pool. My sig here used to be:

"Make every easy shot.
Make every shot easy."

Trick shots are cool, but almost never come up in a game. And so, you should spend almost all of your time practicing the easy shots we all miss all the time.

How about coaching? There are some great coaches. But ask yourself this: Who were Earl, Efren, and Willie's coaches? Or most other great players? Sure, they learned from other people--we all do...but a dedicated coach isn't needed to be successful.

How about talent? Some people do start out with a better chance at succeeding. But that's it--talent is just the start--not the whole story, Work is what counts. A hard worker can beat a lazy, more "talented" player.

So...

Play more pool.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Great idea.

Oops, wait a minute. Got no table, and no room for one.

Oops, got two kids, a wife and a job.

Yup. Play more. Like I don't want to play more pool. When I cant play pool, I read about it, watch and study it, and read about it some more. Maybe I shouldn't, just play and don't ever think about it at all when I cant actually play.

Ya'see, it seems to he a common misnomer that people would rather post here than actually play. Really?

Yup. Guess I'll play more. Why didn't I think of that?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Right on Bob, and I agree with all of it. Good post for a lot on here to take heed too...unless you're just here to sell. Johnnyt

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
None of us just magically became Champion players, we all had mentors

It's a secret:

Play more pool.

Quit watching videos, buying books, reading magazines, and posting to forums. Spend that time playing pool. You might say, "I'll do it in addition to playing pool", and I say spend that additional time playing more pool. Don't get me wrong--there are some great sources of information available...but none of them will do you as much good as practicing a shot you miss until you can't miss it.

A lot of stuff is fun to see or read about, but is pretty much useless when it comes to real play, For instance, the importance of a pendulum stroke. Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls without one. How about low deflection shafts? Or shaft diameter? None of that really matters. What really matters is picking a stick and sticking with it. Quit wasting time and money on new, "magical" sticks and shafts. Humans are very versatile. Efren shot some of his best pool with a cue that no good player would ever use. Just ask JoeyA. Talking (arguing) about this stuff on forums all day long will not help your game one bit--compared to playing more pool for the same amount of time.

You know, you could read some books about the physics of bicycle riding. And there are few magazines. And videos. But nothing compares to actually getting on one.

For instance, let's talk about bank. Pretty hard stuff to do. It's easy to get caught up in reading about or watching videos showing you how to make 4- and 5-rail shots. But that's not important. Bank is won by consistently making 1-rail shots and getting shape for the next one. You hope you never have to shoot a hard shot, and instead you should probably play a safety, anyway.

"Make every easy shot.
Make every shot easy."

Trick shots are cool, but almost never come up in a game. And so, you should spend almost all of your time practicing the easy shots we all miss all the time.

How about coaching? There are some great coaches. But ask yourself this: Who were Earl, Efren, and Willie's coaches? Or most other great players? Sure, they learned from other people--we all do...but a dedicated coach isn't needed to be successful.

How about talent? Some people do start out with a better chance at succeeding. But that's it--talent is just the start--not the whole story, Work is what counts. A hard worker can beat a lazy, more "talented" player.

So...

Play more pool.

I agree that it take a lot of table time to get to the top of your performance potential....few {if any} will ever jump up two or three levels behind a computer screen.

Many of us traveled on the road with other Road Players that served as coaches. Mike Sigel had Larry Hubbart, Earl traveled with several Road Players, and I have mentioned several mentors like JR Weldon, Dalton Leong and "Omaha John" Shuput......Omaha John had "Surfer Rod" and Shane spent a lot of time (and other top players as well) in the Philippines playing and watching their top players. If there was more money in the game of pool ALL the champion players would have to hire coaches, just like in golf, tennis and other major sports.

None of us just magically became Champion players, we all had mentors that influenced our games, either directly or indirectly. Billy Incardona, James Christopher, and Don McCoy also mentored some great Champion Players.

Nobody can get to the top "by themselves"....it's simply not possible, we are standing/stepping on someones shoulders on the way to the top. .
The Game is the Teacher'..... it's like the "Pledge of Allegiance"....it STARTS with "I", but ends with "ALL".

Last edited:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
I couldn't disagree with your post more. I have learned a lot from videos, lessons, and books. If I only practice what I know I will always know what I have known... and never more. The key is to learn something and drill it in.

dimonsterb

Registered
I know how you feel!

Great idea.

Oops, wait a minute. Got no table, and no room for one.

Oops, got two kids, a wife and a job.

Yup. Play more. Like I don't want to play more pool. When I cant play pool, I read about it, watch and study it, and read about it some more. Maybe I shouldn't, just play and don't ever think about it at all when I cant actually play.

Ya'see, it seems to he a common misnomer that people would rather post here than actually play. Really?

Yup. Guess I'll play more. Why didn't I think of that?
I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat(wife 2 kid's, no place for a table and all the clowe pool halls have closed down). Sometimes it makes my night to get on here and see the cues for sale see the post and see the comments. I play pool as often as I can with out making the wife mad.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Building muscle memory is really important and the best way to do so is playing a lot of pool. However, if you want to learn, for example, how to play high inside with a stun shot you are better off learning it from a book or instructor because going only by trial and error will take much longer.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO it's a given that playing more will make you better, but i think that absorbing information from all sources is important too. How often has everyone heard a pro say that they learned a lot by sitting in the chair while someone was kicking their asses?

I learned a ton by watching streams, youtube vids and other sources. That i then started applying when i got on a table. If i didn't have that information there are probably some thing that i would have never known about.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a secret:

Play more pool.

You know, you could read some books about the physics of bicycle riding. And there are few magazines. And videos. But nothing compares to actually getting on one.

"Make every easy shot.
Make every shot easy."

So...

Play more pool.

Bob, you're really advocating the brute force method here. Kinda like trying to perform surgery with a sledgehammer. *Efficiency* of practice is what counts. If you read and study and take ideas to your practice session...well then, you have something to practice. Targeting specific skills is vastly more efficient at developing skills than randomly banging balls. Your comparison to bicycle riding is not logical. The variation to the concept "maintain balance, turn pedals to go, turn handlebars to steer" is simply not complex enough to warrant any extensive reading. Pool, on the other hand, offers a considerable amount of complexity across many many variables. Figuring that out by trial and error is by far the biggest waste of time you could commit.

Also, one other piece of food for thought: The reason Efren is Efren is because he is Efren. There is only one Efren. Just because he is a unique freakish individual who can achieve greatness without any dedicated study does not mean that dedicated study will not help the vast majority of us that are not, well, Efren. (Or Willie or whoever you like).

KMRUNOUT

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Well, finally, a voice in the wilderness.
Time after time, after time, we see the bangers on this forum clamoring after the latest aiming system, or DVDs that are chock full of secrets, when it's always been right there in front of their noses. Play, play, play.
Bob, you have done yourself proud. Great post.

As a matter-of-fact, you have just earned the first ever Tramp Stamp of Approval. :)

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice doesn´t make perfect, perfect practice does however. It´s not the amount of time you put into to playing it´s the quality of the play that does it.

Taking info from vids, teachers, play a lot etc etc is a must imo, way of evolution. Can´t just use one of the building blocks - need them all.

hmmmmm, maybe we can make this into a aiming thread..... just kidding:p.

Good thread

Chrippa

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a lot of magical thinking in the pool world. There are magic tips, magic shafts, and magic aiming systems. The truth is, there are only a few simple skills required to run a rack of 9-ball. You could learn what they are in less than an hour. Every one of them can be performed with a crooked house cue with a 25¢ tip.

Here's an advanced one: English can be used to widen or narrow the natural angle a cue ball takes off of a rail. That'll be $29.97 each. Please. Maybe someone less greedy than me will post the rest of them here for free.

Aiming? Just trust the part of your brain that figured out the very complicated bit of mathematical physics needed to toss a wadded up piece of paper into the waste basket in 5th grade.

Sure, there are short cuts to learning, and there are better tools, but nothing is as useful for learning how to effective apply the simple skills required to run a rack of 9-ball as...well...you probably guessed it:

Play more pool.

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
At some point, the realization will set in that to play top level pool requires hard work and dedication to do so. This happens after a player has tried most of the quick fixes, pool secrets and so on only to find not much improvement over the long term.

Whatever method, style or equipment you use is of little importance but how well you choose to use your style is what matters. Notice I wrote "your" meaning not someone else's.

14.1 is a very good practice game also in order to gain a wide range of skills.

Playing competitively is a important part in a way to improve. I don't mean handicapp in any form, but playing straight up. This way there is no chance of getting a false sense of how good you are. Keeping it real......

As always, play better people.......

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a secret:

Play more pool.

Quit watching videos, buying books, reading magazines, and posting to forums. Spend that time playing pool.

I’d guess that most people here already play as much pool as their lives allow.

And, our time here, or watching pool videos, or reading/participating in pool forums is just an addendum that enhances our enjoyment of the game.

Pool is a funny game -- part art form and part science. Sure, you can learn a lot by just hitting balls, but it can also be useful to learn here and elsewhere about english, and throw, and swerve, and squirt, and so on and so forth. No doubt that if you spent enough time hitting balls and were observant enough, you’d develop and test your own hypothesizes about what’s happening, but certainly there can be no harm in finding our about all that here and then applying it on the table.

So really, it’s not a black and white situation... more like 50 shades of gray :)

Lou Figueroa

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
While agree that time spent at the table is the ultimate goal, it's not the only way. Time spent learning what to do when you get there is very worthwhile. Not everyone has to take the same path to get where they are going.

I don't see anything wrong with someone getting tips off the table and applying it to what they do on table.
Just be careful that you don't spend too much time in school and not enough time on the playground!

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things often touted as an excuse for not performing as well as others is that some folks are just a lot more naturally talented. That's mostly myth.

Individual differences, even among elite performers, are closely related to assessed amounts of deliberate practice. Many characteristics once believed to reflect innate talent are actually the result of intense practice extended for a minimum of 10 years.

From: "The Role of Deliberate Practice in the Acquisition of Expert Performance" found in the American Psychological Association's Psychological Review, 1993, Vol. 100. No. 3, 363-406 reprinted here:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images...f/DeliberatePractice(PsychologicalReview).pdf

Once again, the best way to get better is to:

Play more pool.

Last edited: