How to Use the Masse' Shot to Curve Around Obstructing Balls

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I can relate to pitching coins. When the pool action was too tough, foot races, pitching coins, etc., was the best action. Too many mechanics playing cards, and the dice always seemed to get cold. :)

It's been a while since I tossed a coin. Time to brush up. You never know.

You mentioned using the chest before and I gave it a cursory look. I moved from the elbow to the shoulder because it felt more centered with my stroke than my arm or hand. Maybe I need to go further and move my center to the chest area. A little practice will see if that makes sense.

Best,
Mike

If you're not rubbing a nipple for a cheap thrill you're doing it wrong.
Sincerely:SS

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
many just don't "real eyes" the "real lies" of the "fake guys"

Pool is the same way, the "new" techniques just haven't been explained.....yet. ;)
CJ,

My topspin backhand almost whiffed right over that soft serve since it was so 'well placed'.

Best,
Rick

That may have been more like a "drop shot" - ready to be backed up by a well placed topspin lob.

And "they" say that games don't teach us a thing or two about strategy. LoL - life actually is a game, many just don't "real eyes" the "real lies" of the "fake guys". (more on FOX News at 10) :groucho:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
keeping the stroke completely out in front of your body

I can relate to pitching coins. When the pool action was too tough, foot races, pitching coins, etc., was the best action. Too many mechanics playing cards, and the dice always seemed to get cold. :)

It's been a while since I tossed a coin. Time to brush up. You never know.

You mentioned using the chest before and I gave it a cursory look. I moved from the elbow to the shoulder because it felt more centered with my stroke than my arm or hand. Maybe I need to go further and move my center to the chest area. A little practice will see if that makes sense.

Best,
Mike

Lining up your shoulder if fine, you wouldn't want to use your elbow, it's more for the actual "hit" on the cue ball. When lining up I'd recommend using the shot line (visually) as your point of reference, then the right foot, followed by the left foot, then the shoulder if you choose (I use the center/right of my chest directly under the center of my line of vision).

Think of it as keeping the stroke completely out in front of your body. To do this the head must be controlled by the hips when coming down on the shot.....and the tip must be controlled by the right hand. This will allow "the dog to wag the tail," rather than "the tail wagging the dog" - this has the elements of a cipher, hope you picked it up. I can show this in person easily, however, without visual aids it's challenging.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Pool is the same way, the "new" techniques just haven't been explained.....yet. ;)

That may have been more like a "drop shot" - ready to be backed up by a well placed topspin lob.

And "they" say that games don't teach us a thing or two about strategy. LoL - life actually is a game, many just don't "real eyes" the "real lies" of the "fake guys". (more on FOX News at 10) :groucho:

Thanks for the chuckle.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're not rubbing a nipple for a cheap thrill you're doing it wrong.
Sincerely:SS

Oh, ok! I should be using a breast, not a chest. Be back in a few after I find one. free-sexy-smileys-940.gif :thumbup:

Best,
Mike

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lining up your shoulder if fine, you wouldn't want to use your elbow, it's more for the actual "hit" on the cue ball. When lining up I'd recommend using the shot line (visually) as your point of reference, then the right foot, followed by the left foot, then the shoulder if you choose (I use the center/right of my chest directly under the center of my line of vision).

Think of it as keeping the stroke completely out in front of your body. To do this the head must be controlled by the hips when coming down on the shot.....and the tip must be controlled by the right hand. This will allow "the dog to wag the tail," rather than "the tail wagging the dog" - this has the elements of a cipher, hope you picked it up. I can show this in person easily, however, without visual aids it's challenging.

No, I get it. And you're right for about 10 different reasons. My problem on 5% of my shots is losing focus and not having a correct head position. The hips controlling coming down on the shot is probably the strongest tip you put out there for me and my game.

It makes everything solid and straight as an arrow. No steering or second guessing. When we line up and we know it's right, we stroke confidently. I know when I'm not quite right.

I like the idea of using the chest and slightly to the right side. I'll try that. Centered on the chest may allow a bad head position.

From sports, you learn to use both eyes equally. I have to force my right eye to be in the dominant position or I start aiming with my left eye. I know you're not big on master eyes, but it's a fact for me. My game is a couple of balls better when I keep my dominant eye, dominant. A lot of players don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Others know absolutely what I'm saying. :)

I'll start with a center right look at the shot and see if it makes sense.

Best,
Mike

Banks

Banned
You've been reading some of the same books as CJ, it seems.

Thanks for your concern, though.

DTL
open up my wallet

ps Since I'm the only one here calling this baiting / cyber-hustling, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug: Carry on and GL.

I wonder if they're some of trudeau's books.

The pushy sales pitch is the teacher.

(The rest of us have just given up.)

Reactions: DTL

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've been reading some of the same books as CJ, it seems.

Thanks for your concern, though.

DTL
open up my wallet

ps Since I'm the only one here calling this baiting / cyber-hustling, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug: Carry on and GL.

We most likely have, the books had little meaning though until we felt it in the body. We began to see the signs.... If you know what to look for it´s easy to understand, as easy as it is for me to see that CJ knows it in his body.

Try this, hold your breath and see what happens, and feel what is happening with all of "you". Think about other events that happens just by nature (subcon) in your body when it releases stored energy. Feel this sensation and do it by will.

To master the coil in different areas I choose to look, see, hear from CJ among others when it comes to pool. Practicing TOI for me actually lead me to many of the things he explains - it just followed naturally. Which things I will hold on to, use - what system I will use of all the things that I have opened up to is my choice. I coil and release.

I welcome everyones opinion, yours is very interesting and it´s actions gets reactions.
However, smart remarks about others opinions isn´t my cup of tea.

Show the same respect to others as you are so obviously want for yourself. That is also very easy to see when you have been training to see it.

So do please continue to post, ask, give your opinion, I value it.

Best regards

Christian

Ps everybody knows and everybody can.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Christian,

I wish you Luck & Hope you can succeed. But, my experience says otherwise. But you're trying a bit of a different approach.

All of the Best 2 You...& All,
Rick

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christian,

I wish you Luck & Hope you can succeed. But, my experience says otherwise. But you're trying a bit of a different approach.

All of the Best 2 You...& All,
Rick

Hi Rick, I´m not sure I follow you here. Do please explain, always open for opinions.

Regards

Christian

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Christian

Yeah, seems he does that a lot........he sent me one not too long ago bad mouthing Neil, Stan and PJ (permanent record). That was before he knew, that I knew, that he was a DING BAT. Anyway I'll lay 10:1 that in your PM from him he likely tried to discredit me. And he likely talked on and on about his hero..........and about how could anyone dare question him.

Ty, I could have told you that a couple years ago. Haha

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3689998&postcount=25

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3691955&postcount=67

Last edited:
Reactions: DTL

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
There is a assumption that someone that earns money playing pool has special knowledge that lets them make money playing pool.

The thing about pool is that this is not true. Anyone can play what some consider the professional level.

There is no formal training or education needed to play pool at a high level. Anyone can achieve the skills to play pool at a high level.

Do not assume that just because someone makes a living playing pool that they have the knowledge or the understanding of what is really going on as seen in this thread.

DTL is really just wasting his time since there are some many that have bought into this fallacy that pro pool players actually know what is truly is happening.

CJ is truly a good example of this.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a assumption that someone that earns money playing pool has special knowledge that lets them make money playing pool.

The thing about pool is that this is not true. Anyone can play what some consider the professional level.

There is no formal training or education needed to play pool at a high level. Anyone can achieve the skills to play pool at a high level.

Do not assume that just because someone makes a living playing pool that they have the knowledge or the understanding of what is really going on as seen in this thread.

DTL is really just wasting his time since there are some many that have bought into this fallacy that pro pool players actually know what is truly is happening.

CJ is truly a good example of this.
They have experience, much more than any amateur. They became professionals because they played so much. With that experience comes a broad knowledge of their professional field. You don't make it to the highest level in sport without knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it. They may not explain it as per the AZ scientific textbook, but the meaning is still the same. Perhaps most professionals have a hard time putting what they mean into writing. In person however, I'm sure they would be able to school you in how to play the game.

Sounds like you're hating because people don't give you credit for what you post. Stop posting crap and maybe they might.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christian

I see where ENGLISH has sent you a PM.

Yeah, seems he does that a lot........he sent me one not too long ago bad mouthing Neil, Stan and PJ (permanent record). That was before he knew, that I knew, that he was a DING BAT. Anyway I'll lay 10:1 that in your PM from him he likely tried to discredit me. And he likely talked on and on about his hero..........and about how could anyone dare question him.

I have nothing to gain here. I'm just trying to look out for us common folks here. I'm done with it though..........just wish I could get some backup here and there.:smile:

You seem like a really nice guy. Shoot straight.

DTL
10:1 he now PMs the mods

Hi DTL,

What Rick PM is of course between him and me. However I can tell you it was no badmouthing about you or anyone else.

I will back you up and I have actually done so if you give it some thought.
I can however not stand behind a opinion that I don´t feel I share. You or anyones right to have one however I will stand behind.
I hope you will think it over and come back and share your thoughts and opinions, I see that you have a lot to share.

I can elaborate more about "my way" about what I see is coiling if you would like - or anyone else. It´s something we do all the time.

About shoulders, we have 2 of them and between them we coil. All of you is doing the coil, body and mind.

Thanks for the kind words and I wish you the same and please do think twice about stop posting. We learn from everything and we see things differently and really can use different opinions, explanations so more of us can understand.

Best regards

Christian

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have experience, much more than any amateur. They became professionals because they played so much. With that experience comes a broad knowledge of their professional field. You don't make it to the highest level in sport without knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it. They may not explain it as per the AZ scientific textbook, but the meaning is still the same. Perhaps most professionals have a hard time putting what they mean into writing. In person however, I'm sure they would be able to school you in how to play the game...

Some of their knowledge was passed down from other players and helped shorten their learning time. A top player can impart valuable information that may accelerate a person's understanding in position play, stroke technique, mental focus and many other areas.

My game jumped after hanging with several better players simply through the osmosis of what they were doing. Their tempo, patterns, stroke quality, and consistency lifted my game and showed me things I may never have learned by playing lesser opponents.

Best,
Mike