How to Use the Masse' Shot to Curve Around Obstructing Balls

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The masse shot is useful to get out of troubling situations. The system I use makes this as simple as possible, with a little practice you can do it too. Just don't practice it at a place that doesn't allow masse' shots, it's best to get it perfected at home before taking it out in public (if possible).

Here's an example of a masse' shot that will give you a starting point to learn the technique. If you have other situations or to learn how to aim this type of shot I'll be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

LINK TO LEARNING THE MASSE" SHOT VIDEO

Last edited:

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I have practice serve shots for a little bit and I have gotten pretty good/accurate with it. Just last night I used intention serve to sink the 8 ball. The look on your opponents face when you do it perfectly is priceless. He only thought he had it safe.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's one of my favorite shots, even when I flub it :grin-devilish:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Luckily we had a link to the TOI*TOI master computer and re-routed the block to NASA

Link does not work.

I apologize, the FBI (Federation of Billiard Investigators) blocked it....it should be working fine now.

Luckily we had a link to the TOI*TOI master computer and re-routed the block to NASA - hope it doesn't shut down our space program. ;) 'The Game is the Teacher' .com
th

nasa-1.jpg

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Good video, thanks for posting.
I use a full spectrum of curving shots, from slight squerving to full-on masse.
I'm no expert, and it is a matter of feel, but everyone should be adding these shots to their repertoire.
My regular opponent does not even try to use them (to his disadvantage). 😃

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impossible. You can't bake the ball curve like that, without camera trickery. I am sure of it.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The masse shot is useful to get out of troubling situations. The system I use makes this as simple as possible, with a little practice you can do it too. Just don't practice it at a place that doesn't allow masse' shots, it's best to get it perfected at home before taking it out in public (if possible).

Here's an example of a masse' shot that will give you a starting point to learn the technique. If you have other situations or to learn how to aim this type of shot I'll be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks for the tips.

Best,
Mike

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Coriolis, the French mathematician, described this masse aiming technique. The essential principle is to elevate the cue until your tip points down through the CB at an imaginary line on the table drawn from the CB's base forward and parallel to the path you want the CB to take after curving. The "compass" direction you point the cue determines the CB's initial direction. How hard you hit the CB determines how far it goes in that initial direction before completing the curve onto the parallel path.

It's the best masse aiming technique I know, it's very accurate with some practice, and it works on all masse shots from small shallow curves to 180-degree "turnaround" curves.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

CJ ... I actually didn't need any help with that shot but I wanted to thank you for posting this for those it could help. I always appreciate your input. Thanks again. :thumbup2:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coriolis, the French mathematician, described this masse aiming technique. The essential principle is to elevate the cue until your tip points down through the CB at an imaginary line on the table drawn from the CB's base forward and parallel to the path you want the CB to take after curving. The "compass" direction you point the cue determines the CB's initial direction. How hard you hit the CB determines how far it goes in that direction before completing the curve onto the parallel path.

It's the best masse aiming technique I know, it's very accurate with some practice, and it works on all masse shots from small shallow curves to 180-degree "turnaround" curves.

pj
chgo

It's what I use, and has served me very well over the years. ;)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
CJ I believe..

Have not read any of this post. However there is nothing more satisfying than bending the ball like "beckham", especially when your playing someone who thinks they know more than you. Lol...

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Or...

Have not read any of this post. However there is nothing more satisfying than bending the ball like "beckham", especially when your playing someone who thinks they know more than you. Lol...

Or pulling of a full cue jump over a slightly less than half ball. Makes a eagle look like a hole in one.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I may have lost some action along the way, or should I say "customers"?

CJ,

How much action did you lose shooting that second masse'? :D

Best,
Mike

I like that one, it's another level of difficulty, however, with a little "inside touch" it certainly can be made consistently. CLICK THIS LINK TO 2ND ADVANCED MASSE'

And yes, I may have, Mike, lost a few "customers" on that shot . ;)