how would you play this situation?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played 8-ball with a pal, and this one came up-
solids turn- you could shoot the two or the seven
the seven is on the point, but there is a small gap
the side pocket is also fairly generously-sized
rolling it is tricky tho, the eight blocks the two..
how would you play this situation?

Attachments

• IMG_5837.JPG
    IMG_5837.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_5838.JPG
    IMG_5838.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_5839.JPG
    IMG_5839.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 261

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think i would shoot 7 with little bit high english, fast speed and hair cut to right. It should drive cueball to rail and then bend it towards corner pocket. Maybe even slice (after rail)11 and still doing it. hard part is controlling speed to not get hooked behind 8 or scratch to corner

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
I see two options:

1. Play the 7 rail first. After contact, cue ball will either float cross table for an open shot on the 2 or bounce off the side of the 11 (?) and travel down table below the 8 for a shot on the 2.

2. Play the 2 with (high)right. It should be possible to get past the 8 on the right side, either getting a cut on the 11 and bumping it out of the way for a shot on the 7 or getting the cueball up table by passing the 11 ever so slightly so that you'll have a makable shot on the 7.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see two options:

1. Play the 7 rail first. After contact, cue ball will either float cross table for an open shot on the 2 or bounce off the side of the 11 (?) and travel down table below the 8 for a shot on the 2.

2. Play the 2 with (high)right. It should be possible to get past the 8 on the right side, either getting a cut on the 11 and bumping it out of the way for a shot on the 7 or getting the cueball up table by passing the 11 ever so slightly so that you'll have a makable shot on the 7.
...........this

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see two options:

Pretty much this, but I think that if I decide on the 2-ball, I play it with a touch of inside to come back up table on the inside of the 8 Ball. As long as I hit it firm enough to get back to the head rail, there’s almost no way to get blocked by the 11.

I see too many bad things that could happen going underneath that 8-Ball…

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the "ray martin shot"?
i thought there were 99 of them.... 😉
It's the force follow hook shot. The first one that everybody suggests for this situation and the only one besides the ghost ball plants that I have in my head. I have the book too somewhere but never got into the other shots per se. Aiming double kisses was useful too. :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's the force follow hook shot. The first one that everybody suggests for this situation and the only one besides the ghost ball plants that I have in my head. I have the book too somewhere but never got into the other shots per se. Aiming double kisses was useful too. :)
thanks for the reply.... (y)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd use a natural rolling cue ball to clip the 2 rolling whitey back to where the cue ball is or lower.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Csm...

Those pocket facings are cut flat with not much inward angle.
Unless you Know it won't bank back at you it could be a workable shot BUT, the speed of the hit needed with draw, could easily spit the obj ball out.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with the rail first crowd. It looks like the cue ball will drift out past the 8 for the shot on the 2. There is no way you can shoot the 2 first and expect to get a better shot on the 7, you could wind up with no shot.

Reactions: bbb

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like the 7 is on the point with a little angle to the side pocket.

I am shooting the 7 in the side with draw. That point will compress.
I don't know man, to me it looks like you could shoot the 7 straight in the side and draw back anywhere between 8"-36".

If that’s a genuine option, that’s absolutely my choice rather than the two ball…

middleofnowhere

Registered
These are always hard to see in pictures but as I see it.
I would go rail first with spin and cut the 7 in the side and carom off the 11 to go down table.

Reactions: bbb

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 with low left to kick the 13 away so I don't scratch or get snookered.