"Hustling": Is It Sleazy Or Clever (Or Both)?

Is "Hustling" Sleazy, Clever, or Both?

• I Think Hustling Is Sleazy.

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • I Think Hustling Is Clever.

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • I Think Hustling Is Both Sleazy & Clever.

Votes: 154 47.7%

• Total voters

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Done "right", hustling = stealing.

Just another form of a con game.

But, hustling <> gambling, a distinction Mosconi made in his autobiography. Until Fats made him a ton of money he hated the whole Fats part of pool and was outspoken about Fats being a fraud as a player. Once he realized that no one believed anything Fats said but that Fats could make him a lot of money he softened, but he is very adamant in his autobiography.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's a bit late in this thread, but better late than never.
It's time to define "Hustler"
Many words tend to 'devolve'...grammarians call it 'losing their currency'....
...so my idea of being a 'hustler' is one who puts his energy and wits into any endeavor.

I think there should be other names for those who will prey on the weak, jar an opponent, skip out on restaurant and motel bills, dump a backer...etc. They should have other appellations.
There were people in the pool world who's word was their bond......
...as distinct from those who would mug an old lady with a sock full of gravel if they could avoid being caught. There were many people I would avoid in the action days.

I'm welcome at any pool hall, restaurant, or motel I ever stayed at.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It's a bit late in this thread, but better late than never.
It's time to define "Hustler"

Many words tend to 'devolve'...grammarians call it 'losing their currency'....
...so my idea of being a 'hustler' is one who puts his energy and wits into any endeavor.

I think there should be other names for those who will prey on the weak, jar an opponent, skip out on restaurant and motel bills, dump a backer...etc. They should have other appellations.
There were people in the pool world who's word was their bond......
...as distinct from those who would mug an old lady with a sock full of gravel if they could avoid being caught. There were many people I would avoid in the action days.

I'm welcome at any pool hall, restaurant, or motel I ever stayed at.

from post #1 :wink:

"For the purpose of this poll we will define "hustler" as someone who hides their true speed, hides who they really are by disguise or other means, or says or does anything else that is not true in an attempt to give themselves some kind of an edge."

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
from post #1 :wink:

"For the purpose of this poll we will define "hustler" as someone who hides their true speed, hides who they really are by disguise or other means, or says or does anything else that is not true in an attempt to give themselves some kind of an edge."

best,
brian kc

I'm still going with my poker analogy.
If I can make a royal flush look like a pair of deuces, I think I'm playing good poker.
...and it doesn't mean I ran up a duke to get that royal flush.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If I can make a royal flush look like a pair of deuces, I think I'm playing good poker.

I do like your analogy, too. :thumbup:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Or, I suppose, if you're able to convince the public that Coca Cola and Coco Puffs are healthy drink/food, you're considered an excellent CEO rather than a hustler with a good education and a better haircut.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Or, I suppose, if you're able to convince the public that Coca Cola and Coco Puffs are healthy drink/food, you're considered an excellent CEO rather than a hustler with a good education and a better haircut.

A lot of those guys will do things a road player wouldn't.
People hooked on opioids....doctors getting perks from drug companies.
...about 30.000 deaths last year.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

A better haircut? :eek:

image.jpg

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without the mark's greed the hustler couldn't make it work. It's the other person's desire to make easy money that makes the hustling viable.

I do not find this to be a viable rationale to hustle people. One person's ethics should not be based on what someone else does. Also, a person should be able to go into a pool hall and try to match up with someone else, without having to worry that a great player is lurking there looking to steal their money. I just don't get the thought process that allows that type of behavior in any avenue of life.

PoolChump

Banned
I do not find this to be a viable rationale to hustle people. One person's ethics should not be based on what someone else does. Also, a person should be able to go into a pool hall and try to match up with someone else, without having to worry that a great player is lurking there looking to steal their money. I just don't get the thought process that allows that type of behavior in any avenue of life.

Agreed. :smile:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Where is the fourth option in the poll?

"Hustling is COOL!" :grin::grin:

JoeyA