I just got a new full splice blank is this acceptable?

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got this full splice custom blank made and there are a lot of gaps at the bottom point as well as a lot of glue. Is this acceptable. I'm worried this won't turn out. I had a prather blank that was perfect in the past.
 
Have you contacted the maker and discussed your concerns regarding this blank? You might try this first before they get wind of ill will developing here. Try sending pics to the maker and wait to see what they think, just my humble opinion... (<:

John
 
What John said X2.

Also, is it oversized and are you planning to use it for a wrapless cue?

If wrapped, those bottom points will be hid. Taking it down to size may fix the issues you see.
 
Have you contacted the maker and discussed your concerns regarding this blank? You might try this first before they get wind of ill will developing here. Try sending pics to the maker and wait to see what they think, just my humble opinion... (<:

John

I havent mentioned names here and dont plan too. Ive contacted the guy and he said thats normal because its oversized but what if turned down it doesnt go away. Im screwed then.
 
There are very, very few places where you can order a veneered fullsplice blank.
So, not mentioning a name will not really help that much.

Fearing that after turning down the blank the imperfections will not go away does not
really do any good. Asking the maker if you can return it after turning down is the way to go.

You should also realise that there is no such thing as a perfect fullsplice blank. Some are
good, some are very good, none are perfect.
One maker in particular uses very traditional techniques to make his blanks, they might not
be perfect but they are what they are, handcrafted and traditional by a master cuemaker.

gr. Dave
 
Why doesn't the OP just send it to the guy that made it and ask HIM to turn it down and make the imperfections disappear?? If the cue maker cannot accomplish that he ought to make another or refund his money. Jut a thought...
 
I havent mentioned names here and dont plan too. Ive contacted the guy and he said thats normal because its oversized but what if turned down it doesnt go away. Im screwed then.

Yeah, that's a toughie.
Tell ya what, make me a deal I can't refuse and I'll take it off your hands.

KJ
 
Why doesn't the OP just send it to the guy that made it and ask HIM to turn it down and make the imperfections disappear?? If the cue maker cannot accomplish that he ought to make another or refund his money. Jut a thought...

Agreed, may not be a problem, but if it is the maker should have no issues making another. No one wants their name being put on the line for something minuscule and easy to fix.

-Drew
 
I did not build that blank. But having sold a lot of blanks through the years I can say the maker is right when he says most of that should go away when turned down. Especially the short part of the point. That should clean up nice and crisp as it turns down. The glue line up the middle where the veneer miters meet is what it is and will probably not change. With it being oversized and knowing the nature of how these things go, I think the blank looks pretty good.

The short part of the point breaking off to the stub is because the maker figured out how long he needed to make the handle prong piece to cut out and sharpen up when turned down, instead of making it longer and wasting wood. That should sharpen up fine. Expecting the bottom to be as sharp and clean as the top is unrealistic as the methods on obtaining the sharp points at the bottom and top are totally different methods.
 
Last edited:
problem resolved?

Was this problem resolved? And what was done? I build full splice joints so I'm curious. I agree the upper points should be turned out, but the lower may not be turned out. Structurally it is fine, and if you're going to wrap it, obviously it won't be seen. I've always had trouble with the lower point. And I charge a lot more to do a sharp lower point. I ask the customer whether they want a sharp lower point.

This being said, did you try resolving this problem before posting this complaint?
thanks, Ernie
 
Was this problem resolved? And what was done? I build full splice joints so I'm curious. I agree the upper points should be turned out, but the lower may not be turned out. Structurally it is fine, and if you're going to wrap it, obviously it won't be seen. I've always had trouble with the lower point. And I charge a lot more to do a sharp lower point. I ask the customer whether they want a sharp lower point.

This being said, did you try resolving this problem before posting this complaint?
thanks, Ernie

I would like to know also what the outcome was/is.

Thanks,
John
 
Back
Top