I know this has been discussed but I have to decided...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe they should hand the audience a cue so they can tap it on the floor. Sometimes they clap at the wrong time but it doesn't bother me anymore than people clapping at any other sporting event.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
To add insanity to stupidity. By now, the powers that be should realize that their programing is NOT capturing a mainstream audience. So why do they continue with their current format and risk alienating even the hardcore player that is their ONLY audience?

I don't think there is a rational answer to this question.:confused:

Jim

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just reminds me of that movie Coming To America with Eddie Murphey when watching a basketball game he cheers when halftime starts because he has no clue what is going on in the game.

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
Everybody remember what they wrote in this thread. So when the next thread that comes up says "Why are golf pros better paid then pool pros", i'm going to refer to this thread.

How about everyone shut up and be happy that some type of pool is on some sort of main stream media.

Every time i come to this board I hear:

American pool is going down hill
AMerican pool is not organized
American pool has no sponsers
American pool has to fan base

Now ESPN puts some 9ball on TV, and ppl ***** about clapping. Give me a break, seriously use the mute button. Sit down, help boost the tv ratings and shut up.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc said:
Reminds me of when Ga Young Kim two rail kicked while safe to leave a safety in return and she made the shot in the corner on accident and they all cheered thinking she planned to make it.. but she didnt want to make it. she would've had Xiaoting Pan hooked if she didnt make it which was the plan but the audience was so ignorant it makes me wonder why they go to watch if they dont understand the game...

Then again I watch for the skills they have and their choices on how to play certain shots and what not not for the audiences reaction. I'm watching to learn anything I can.
My personal opinion on the shot you are discribing is that she was playing to make that ball and just needed a couple of inches more roll on the cue ball to have a shot on the next ball. I believe she hit it with that speed to keep the cue ball from drifting to the middle of the table in case she did not pocket the ball. IMO

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you obviously havent seen the shot. noone 2 rail kicks and hits the ball which was at one corner of the table and make it at the other corner expecting to make it. I'll edit this post and cuetablify it up. I dont know the exact position of the other balls but there was 2 balls there that she hid behind and hit it perfect safety speed. it just happened to go into the corner. There is no way she planned to make a kick that far away and play shape in the finals. The video is on youtube of ga young kim and xiaoting pan i believe they're 6-6 hill hill final match.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one of the problems here is that the athletes in the big time professional sports are seen as "larger than life" to the fans. Therefore, their game and the way they play is seen the same way. That's why we clap when Tiger makes a ridiculously easy putt, because his fans don't feel they could ever compete with him. That's why we clap when Shaq slam dunks a basketball with one finger... it's because he is Shaq and it's exciting even though it's easy for him. Maybe pool's problem is that the majority of its fan base are really good pool players. They know too much. They know that the easy straight shot is easy, so it pisses them off when people clap for it. Maybe if everyone didn't know so much about the game, we would appreciate each shot more?

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Bugz said:
Everybody remember what they wrote in this thread. So when the next thread that comes up says "Why are golf pros better paid then pool pros", i'm going to refer to this thread.

How about everyone shut up and be happy that some type of pool is on some sort of main stream media.

Every time i come to this board I hear:

American pool is going down hill
AMerican pool is not organized
American pool has no sponsers
American pool has to fan base

Now ESPN puts some 9ball on TV, and ppl ***** about clapping. Give me a break, seriously use the mute button. Sit down, help boost the tv ratings and shut up.
How about YOU shut up. Johnnyt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
lodini said:
I think one of the problems here is that the athletes in the big time professional sports are seen as "larger than life" to the fans. Therefore, their game and the way they play is seen the same way. That's why we clap when Tiger makes a ridiculously easy putt, because his fans don't feel they could ever compete with him. That's why we clap when Shaq slam dunks a basketball with one finger... it's because he is Shaq and it's exciting even though it's easy for him. Maybe pool's problem is that the majority of its fan base are really good pool players. They know too much. They know that the easy straight shot is easy, so it pisses them off when people clap for it. Maybe if everyone didn't know so much about the game, we would appreciate each shot more?

Very nicely stated, Lodini.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
I was cooking dinner with the radio on last night when I spotted pool on TV. I muted the sound & kept the music, glancing over at the TV between stirring the Thai Red Curry. Worked well for me, but then with music, pool & good food cooking I'm bound to be happy. There was beer too.

About the only thing I did hear from the game was when AF miscued & jumped the ball, and her comment about chalk when it was her next shot. This was on the bedroom TV when I walked in there. Now I think about it the constant ads for the APA probably bug me more than the clapping!

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
i see a lot of women snapping now when they see a good shot...which is just as stupid to me...