I need to vent!!!

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Sorry, but I need to get this out because it is eating at me.

Last night in my league, I sold out in my last game. Playing 8 ball, my opponent was on the 8 ball and missed a very hard shot. I had 5 low balls left. I could have run out, and looking back probably should have. Instead, I tried to play "smart" and play a pretty easy safe which would have locked my opponent up pretty good. He would have had to kick, and the kick shot was a likely scratch.

Well, I put too much inside on whitey, and sold out, leaving him a very thin cut into the side. Of course, he made it.

I only slept three hours last night because I kept replaying the shot.

Out of about 200 players, I am currently leading the MVP race due to my high numbers of ERO's(8 ball run outs) and 10-0 wins. There are only four weeks left to play before playoffs. I need to start using my head. The safety was easy, but the run was not hard either, and I am very offensive by nature. I played the safe because one ball was in a weird spot, and this table was awful. I was worried about getting position.

I still do not know what the right answer is. I think my idea was good, just very poor execution. Two teammates agree with me, and the other two do not. I know I need to let it go, but I HATE when I do shit like that.

Feel free to comment, or not. I wrote it to vent, and to put in writing that I suck. Hopefully, this will somehow be cathartic.

Braden<---------still a banger!

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Last night in my league, I sold out in my last game. Playing 8 ball, my opponent was on the 8 ball and missed a very hard shot. I had 5 low balls left. I could have run out, and looking back probably should have. Instead, I tried to play "smart" and play a pretty easy safe which would have locked my opponent up pretty good. He would have had to kick, and the kick shot was a likely scratch.

Well, I put too much inside on whitey, and sold out, leaving him a very thin cut into the side. Of course, he made it.

Out of about 200 players, I am currently leading the MVP race due to my high numbers of ERO's(8 ball run outs) and 10-0 wins. There are only four weeks left to play before playoffs. I need to start using my head. The safety was easy, but the run was not hard either, and I am very offensive by nature. I played the safe because one ball was in a weird spot, and this table was awful. I was worried about getting position.

I still do not know what the right answer is. I think my idea was good, just very poor execution. Two teammates agree with me, and the other two do not. I know I need to let it go, but I HATE when I do shit like that.

Feel free to comment, or not. I wrote it to vent, and to put in writing that I suck. Hopefully, this will somehow be cathartic.

If you make a choice except what happens ,learn from it and keep going .Its part of the game.:D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suck too. Was playing a tourney not too lung ago, had to give up the 7 and 1 game goiung to 5. Found myself losing 1-3, battled back to leading (tie?) 4-3, 7/8 are tied up on side rail.

I play perfect shape to bunt/ safe the 7 away and stick el blanko on the 8...which I do, but I leave the 7 RIGHT IN THE DAMN JAWS OF THE DAMN SIDE POCKET, DAMMIT.

Opponent barely makes contact, makes it and I wonder why I am so stupod.

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Hmm..

Vent thread is good sometime. Actually I did more than you in the last night league match. I've led 46-5 (different rules and scoring of yours I guess) and I've lost 52-66. Is it possible for a player who can make 2-3 runs (BR) from 7-10 games. I was pretty much close to break my cue...but I've remembered something and old friend use to tell me: "It's not the stick or stroke, it's in your head". Good thinking I guess....that saved my cue from a disaster...
Keep thinking wise and don't be afraid to make mistakes. That makes us human.

GL with you game.

Chris

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
Thick skin and a bad memory, that's only advice I have for you.

+1. It's been said that a pool player has to have a short memory. I wish I did but shit like that burns me up too. I sold out on a shot to take it to the hill last week. You don't think that shot's been haunting me all week?! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who loses a little sleep over this stuff ;)

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
you do suck!

Misery loves company!! I needed some comiseration. Thanks.:thumbup:

And thanks to the others for the words. I can, and will let this go. I just really needed to get it off my chest.

Maybe I will go back to blaming everything, but myself. "It rolled out", or "stupid dead rail", or "why the hell does the rock weigh as buch as a bowling ball?" Those players probably never lose any damn sleep!!

I swear, someday I will know how to play this god forsaken game.

Braden

JC

Coos Cues

I wouldn't bother with a vent thread until at least a month goes by. I'm still annoyed about a seven ball I shot in the corner and scratched opposite side with my team hill hill in the BCA 9 ball regionals last October. We came back to tie it at 13 after being down 8-0 just so I could do that. No one who plays this game has never screwed up. Practice and perform better in the future. My policy to myself is forgive the screw ups but never forget them. Tomorrow will be the next chapter in a pool that's important to you. Let yesterday be a blessing, not a curse. If you're top dog in your league then you probably play ok.

rickdf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safe

Misery loves company!! I needed some comiseration. Thanks.:thumbup:

And thanks to the others for the words. I can, and will let this go. I just really needed to get it off my chest.

Maybe I will go back to blaming everything, but myself. "It rolled out", or "stupid dead rail", or "why the hell does the rock weigh as buch as a bowling ball?" Those players probably never lose any damn sleep!!

I swear, someday I will know how to play this god forsaken game.
Braden

When you figure it out, send me a clue.

I think you did the right thing. You felt there was a substantial challenge while shooting and you chose to take the path around it.

If it was me I would have done the same thing. And would try the same safety if presented with the opportunity again. Hopefully there would be a better outcome.
Don't spend anymore time thinking about it than you would if you would have gone offensive and missed. I think people beat themselves up more from a poor safety than missing an offensive shot. My opinion is that offensive shots and defensive shots are similar, especially when you miss. Each one can be as important as the other. And done right each will get you one shot closer to winning the game.

Rick

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second the thick skin and short memory. Just remember the good shots and you will be fine. At least that works for me in golf. Pool.....not so much.

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A - It's only a game. B- You're still alive. Live and learn from it. We all have horror storys. Nuff said :D

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

LNCPA

Registered
vent

Especially when it comes to team pool you're going to get different opinions. Regardless which choice you make if you fail to execute you will have some teammates that disagree with the choice you made.

A friend posted a question on FB last year: How many pool players does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: Five. One to change the bulb and 4 teammates to tell them how they could have done it differently!

roadwarrior

Registered
I believe you are now hooked in the game of pool! hooray!:smile:
That is alright my friend, always move forward. Just don't forget the lesson you have.

When you play on your next tourney or money game just be cautious, you will be given a lot of chance to study the table, whether you run out the balls or play another safety. You will win and lose some, relax and enjoy. Even Pros make mistakes. So live and fight another day!!!! :smile::smile::smile:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Dude you probably played the right shot. It seems you just misjudged the speed a little,if you had chose to run out then you could have still lost the CB or some funny sh1t could have happened. Dont let that change the way you play. Imo it is worse to shoot at some dumb sh1t and sell out.
You were right to play smart. Nothing works 100% of the time

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I`ve had the same thing happen with me as well Braden. I played safe & I rolled old whitey to far & my opponent was left with an easy 8 ball shot. I chalked it up as ''you win some you lose some'' Take care
Jeff

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I feel your pain, Braden.

Since misery loves company, here's how I screwed up on Tuesday. Somehow I got to hill-hill with a better player than me, I left him long on his 8, and he somehow missed completely. (Very strange, he is a good shot. Stuff happens...)

Now I have ball in hand with 3 of mine left. Simple, huh? Of course I rattled the
3rd one, giving him the match.

I mean, c'Mon. Ball in hand and just three balls to get out? And I screw that up? Sheesh...

Get'em next time, Braden. You have plenty of motivation :p
me too:grin:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
All pressure is self induced!

I was so competitive when I was younger that I would wake up in the middle of the night with the shakes and my heart pounding after dreaming of a shot I'd missed.

Had one reoccuring dream for three yrs. of an easy 9 ball I missed in a hill-hill match.

I used to say "If it doesn't sting like a bit@h to lose, why play at all in the first place!"

I understand the venting.

Stones

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Because it sticks in your head you must be doing mostly the right things in this game. Remember we play this game with many different ways to get to the end result. Most of them do work...play the way that always seems to work for you.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right or Wrong - Not In Your Case

Thick skin and a bad memory, that's only advice I have for you.

Mikey hit it right on the head. All you did was miss a shot and your opponent 'ran out'. So just pick it up and move on.

Gerry S.