I thought pros never fail to break the rack...

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Once I was watching just another amateur 3-foul dancing around an undisturbed rack of 9-ball I tried to recall how the pros handle such situations - when it stroke me that they never miss the rack! :D

But this photo from Ultimate 10-Ball makes me wonder... You see Daz is also puzzled.
foulbreak.jpg
 
Once I was watching just another amateur 3-foul dancing around an undisturbed rack of 9-ball I tried to recall how the pros handle such situations - when it stroke me that they never miss the rack! :D

But this photo from Ultimate 10-Ball makes me wonder... You see Daz is also puzzled.
View attachment 281188

It looks like he's wondering which of those balls is the tastiest.

Wasn't someone breaking safe during the tournament?
 
I'd rather be puzzled DAZ than the guy who shoots next!
I myself was in this seat a couple of times, and witnessed that way too more often. In 9-ball usual move from the opponent was brushing the 1 and parking the whitey to the foot cushion. I have always been doubtful about attempts to make legal contact shooting 2 rails from there. Because if you miss you are most likely done on your next visit. Instead, I was foul-breaking the rack to spread the balls as I believe the odds are better to come from a next hook.

Just again, such situations are rarely seen at this level.
 
Well I know that every tournament (unfortunately) has different rules, but if you're playing by the world standardized rules isn't there a provision for break requirements such as 4 balls must get to a cushion for it to be a legal break? I believe in that scenario it works differently than a regular foul.
 
I'd rather be puzzled DAZ than the guy who shoots next!

Even I can spot a good safety there. I bet he took a good 45 secs thinking about it and then played the same shot he thought of in his chair. Pro pool players are killing pool.

Watching a man watching a table HAS to stop.
 
It's interesting that they don't have a rebreak option. I doubt that was a "legal" break unless there were no rules covering that. That's a pretty lame rack, might as well be playing straight pool with a side of rotation.
 
I myself was in this seat a couple of times, and witnessed that way too more often. In 9-ball usual move from the opponent was brushing the 1 and parking the whitey to the foot cushion. I have always been doubtful about attempts to make legal contact shooting 2 rails from there. Because if you miss you are most likely done on your next visit. Instead, I was foul-breaking the rack to spread the balls as I believe the odds are better to come from a next hook.

Just again, such situations are rarely seen at this level.

That is why they have no soft break rules in some tournaments, while I am all for playing safeties when warranted, on the break in 9 or 10 ball, it's a cheap move and should not be allowed.
 
Even I can spot a good safety there. I bet he took a good 45 secs thinking about it and then played the same shot he thought of in his chair. Pro pool players are killing pool.

Watching a man watching a table HAS to stop.
I've played Daz in practice before, going back 8 years or so now. Even then he was a "thinker". Not quite Ebdon, but definitely didn't go into a shot he hadn't thought trough a few times.

Personally don't mind slow play, I play fairly slow my self but its got to be within reason.
 
I've played Daz in practice before, going back 8 years or so now. Even then he was a "thinker". Not quite Ebdon, but definitely didn't go into a shot he hadn't thought trough a few times.

Personally don't mind slow play, I play fairly slow my self but its got to be within reason.

I absolutely cannot stand it. I can just about cope with it in English 8 ball, but it's wrong in 9 ball. Slow play is anomalous to the modern world.
 
Even I can spot a good safety there. I bet he took a good 45 secs thinking about it and then played the same shot he thought of in his chair. Pro pool players are killing pool.

Watching a man watching a table HAS to stop.

I've watched about 12 matches of bonus ball with a 24 second shot clock then I tried to watch a 10 ball match with Borana Andoni sp? And some girl. They would each spend 2 minutes thinking then then missing or playing safe on the one ball for 10 innings.

After 20 minutes I turned it off.
 
I've watched about 12 matches of bonus ball with a 24 second shot clock then I tried to watch a 10 ball match ...

After 20 minutes I turned it off.

I haven't been able to sit through a bonits ball match either.

Nobody will, in the not too distant future.
 
I've watched about 12 matches of bonus ball with a 24 second shot clock then I tried to watch a 10 ball match with Borana Andoni sp? And some girl. They would each spend 2 minutes thinking then then missing or playing safe on the one ball for 10 innings.

After 20 minutes I turned it off.

That was a BRUTAL match!!! I think someone said it was like 2 hours and 17 minutes.
 
I absolutely cannot stand it. I can just about cope with it in English 8 ball, but it's wrong in 9 ball. Slow play is anomalous to the modern world.
Yeah I can understand why people get pissed off in rotation games, they're not difficult for the most part.

Only one thing I can't stand in English 8 ball - covering pockets. Some say its "good tactics" and "great strategy". I say behave mate, go play chess.
 
Yeah I can understand why people get pissed off in rotation games, they're not difficult for the most part.

Only one thing I can't stand in English 8 ball - covering pockets. Some say its "good tactics" and "great strategy". I say behave mate, go play chess.

Blackball is the future of English pool. I'm on a mission to convert people. I haven't played it yet but international rules (American) 8 ball rules would be perfect for English pool, eliminating the tedium of pocket blocking entirely.

My one and only venture into league play saw me witness a situation where each player deliberately fouled for 45 mins, just because there was a blocked pocket and no easy out for either player. The really annoying thing was the match was already won, and this frame was insignificant. Never again.

Pool needs a wake up call on this issue - literally.
 
Blackball is the future of English pool. I'm on a mission to convert people. I haven't played it yet but international rules (American) 8 ball rules would be perfect for English pool, eliminating the tedium of pocket blocking entirely.

My one and only venture into league play saw me witness a situation where each player deliberately fouled for 45 mins, just because there was a blocked pocket and no easy out for either player. The really annoying thing was the match was already won, and this frame was insignificant. Never again.

Pool needs a wake up call on this issue - literally.
Mate don't get me started on that tip tappy deliberate foul crap. I thought it was just in the top 2 divisions here, but a few mates have said its rife in the lower leagues too. Is Blackball the event that's held in Blackpool? I was going to enter the team event this year but we were 1 player short at standing a chance so decided not to bother. Definitely next year though seeing as its cheap as chips to enter.
 
I have seen these games before. Usually it happens when a player accidentally taps the cueball during a warmup stroke before breaking. The breaker was on one foul and the incoming player had BIH. Pretty easy 3-foul from there for a good player.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but I've witnessed it plenty of times.
 
That is why they have no soft break rules in some tournaments, while I am all for playing safeties when warranted, on the break in 9 or 10 ball, it's a cheap move and should not be allowed.

Why its a great move and generally it will get you a win. When I am playing in a tournament I pull out all the stops. And if the opponent does not know the right counter move. That is his problem. Cheap but effective:wink:
 
Back
Top