I wonder how many people would have done what Hohmann did

Tristan

Big 'Bumpin'
Silver Member
heres a match efren vs hohman, Hohmann commits a foul and did nothing?

http://youtu.be/wmH4ZKNS5q4?t=1h36m50s

right at the 01:37:02 mark.

I don't doubt that he saw the foul. However, isn't it possible that he assumed Efran also saw it, and thus said nothing? Efran didn't take much time sizing up and shooting the combo - perhaps TH only realized that Efran didn't see the foul once Efran got down on the shot, at which point he had the choice to either let Efran shoot without ball in hand, or yell something to get his attention. The second option, IMO, could've turned out a lot worse (causing, for instance, a miscue on Efran's part) given how easy a combo it was, so TH decided to keep quiet.

Impossible to know, but this seems like a reasonable account to me.

this being said, I couldn't care less if players call fouls on themselves or not.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Called a double hit on himself in the finals of the straight pool world championships. I didn't see it, the announcers on the stream didn't see it either. Not sure whether the referee saw it but Hohmann immediately called it on himself.

All professional and serious amateur golfers do it. Why would we expect anything less in pool?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
There is no excuse for not calling a foul on yourself whether its a World Championship or regular league play.

Regardless, it was a very honorable move that Thorsten did and I will give him my utmost respect for that.

And here I thought that I was one of Earls biggest fans.

Like PT said, most Players would call that foul on themselves and for the most part, I would like to think the best and trust most people when I can.

But, it wasn't most players that were playing the final game in the World Championship 14:1.

It was Thorsten that was and for that, he deserves the best.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
If it happens so much why aren't you seeing it? I have a high degree of faith in the average person's ability to exaggerate and make false accusations for any number of reasons. All anyone has to do is read this forum to realize that.

Please re-read my last post ... I said "I see it and others see it BUT, if a
Team Captain doesn't see it (or chooses not to see it) NO one other than
the opposing player can speak up, LEGALLY !

This wouldn't happen so often IF Team Captains were attentive to the games in play
and also the actual Players themselves paying close attention instead of grab-assing
between shots, slipping outside to "burn one" or sidling up to the Bar for another
Pitcher of Bud Light.

Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I said ... "It's not JUST me" ... or do you only see what you want to see ?

Yes, let's drop it, and I am very sorry to have dragged my league problems into this thread.

BTW - MY League is a Bar League ... Not exactly the same as a Pool Hall League.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
You people are crazy. If you don't look up to or at least respect his attitude about the game, then you could find fault with Jesus Christ.

I believe "person" may apply better in this case, but only if the verb's conjugation is changed.

Toasty probably has an R.O. against him anyway. Reminds me a bit of Figueroa crusading against Schmidt.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would expect nothing less!!!!!!!!!! He's a gentleman

I've met him here a few wks ago in mn. He is truely at the top of his game- a foul is a foul anykind. A role model for pool too. mark

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Hohmann knew Efren saw it

I don't doubt that he saw the foul. However, isn't it possible that he assumed Efran also saw it, and thus said nothing? Efran didn't take much time sizing up and shooting the combo - perhaps TH only realized that Efran didn't see the foul once Efran got down on the shot, at which point he had the choice to either let Efran shoot without ball in hand, or yell something to get his attention. The second option, IMO, could've turned out a lot worse (causing, for instance, a miscue on Efran's part) given how easy a combo it was, so TH decided to keep quiet.

Impossible to know, but this seems like a reasonable account to me.

this being said, I couldn't care less if players call fouls on themselves or not.

I tend to agree with you. I'm surprised that no others here saw it that way.

I notice on your post that you and I have something in common...a love for bumper pool, which is how I was introduced to pool as a child!

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
some of you are the biggest bunch of fools born to supposed human kind...

let me ask you this - geniuses...
[this is only directed at a few of our most """brilliant""" posters in this thread {omgwtf}]
[their mothers must be so proud}

here is a guy; Army Staff Sergeant Ty Carter who has just received the Medal of Honor:

lets just say that on one occasion he panicked under fire [which is pretty normal to do, despite what YOU Think YOU Would Have Done]

do we negate his heroism?

is that it?

not that i can not say what i think of you here
[and out of respect of all, i will not do that as it is not the time or place]
i will tell it to your face
anytime anyplace

and, Thank You Mr. Hohmann!

have a nice day

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I get your point smokey (nobody's perfect their entire lives from start to finish).
But your example's not really fair either.

A pool player is not a heroic soldier, he's just a guy trying to make a living playing a game.
Calling a foul on yourself is not the same as running into gunfire and risking death.

It's understandable if someone takes a pass on getting shot at.
It's not quite so understandable if someone takes a pass on calling a foul...
what's the worst that happens, you lose a tournament? You could play great and lose anyway.

But I do agree with the gist of it... people are not perfectly consistent their whole lives.
It's possible for someone to be honest 99% of the time, and then one day some strange
combination of issues makes him do something out of character.

But this is AZbilliards, so there are only 2 categories of pool players.
You are either Jesus Christ or you're a dirtbag.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
on one occasion he panicked under fire

Very understandable Smokey. Heck, I've panicked on a Sat morning after eating a full order of Nachos with a heaping side of Jalapenos the night before.

This, let alone having real bullets fired in my direction.