I would think lighter cue as u get older?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've been playing pool with a 18 to 19 oz. cue for many years. I got this 21 oz. cue the other day and I play better with it that the lighter ones now. My stroke and QB control much better. Wouldn't you think that as you get up in age a heavy cue would be a negative? Johnnyt
 
I hope I never get so old and feeble that I need to take an extra ounce off my cue in order to be able to continue to play! I've played with a 19 or 19.5 for the past 30 some years, and don't plan on changing anytime soon. (Although maybe with my AARP discounts, I might be able to afford a new one!)
:grin::grin::grin:

Steve
 
I use a thin butt 17 linen wrapped and its just right. I play with someone who has a 15oz sneaky pete and he loves it. I've used it and wow. He runs 9 foot tables with it like nothing at all. Light, comfortable, no wrap or fancy joint. You just flip it around like an extension of your arm. The balls just seem to drop by themselves! No kidding
 
I know of some people that have the situation in reverse. They used to play with a lighter cue, but use a heavier one now. In any case, if you have been using a 18-19 oz. cue for years and now you use a 21 oz. cue for a few days, it will seem like your stroke is better with the lighter cue. It all about being used to a certain weight/balance of a cue. The 21 ouncer feels foreign because it is. There hasn't been enough time for adjustment yet. I think muscle memory has more to do with it than age. You can drive a V6 just as well as a big block V8, you just step on that gas pedal a little differently :wink:
 
I had 3oz's drilled out of my full splice cue after playing with a 14oz for 3 months. Not quite the same as a cue built to the spec.

Got a 14oz on order. In 2 or 3 months I'll tell you how wonderful it is.

It's so close I can taste it.
 
I'm going on 67 and have received two new custom cues in the past
year that weigh at least 22 ozs. I have always played with heavy cues
and will continue to do so until I "take a cab to Miami".

I also compete in Practical Shooting Sports with Revolvers weighing over
3 lbs., and haven't really noticed the weight as a burden in my old age.

It's not as if you are required to hold the Cue over your head for 4 hours,
so why would a few ounces either way make a difference as you get older ?
 
For years I played with cues in the 22-23oz range. My old custom Joss was around 23.5. Its no secret that its easier to stroke a heavier cue straighter, but speed control has to be right on to get the full benefit. Ive played with 19.5 oz cues for the last few years. and my current cue is about 18.75. Its helped me get my speed control finessed a bit more, but I still think about going back to heavy cues. Im a big guy, and the 3-4 oz difference isnt super noticable for me.
But in the end, its all about what you shoot better with. No matter what.
Chuck
 
I'm going on 67 and have received two new custom cues in the past
year that weigh at least 22 ozs. I have always played with heavy cues
and will continue to do so until I "take a cab to Miami".

I also compete in Practical Shooting Sports with Revolvers weighing over
3 lbs., and haven't really noticed the weight as a burden in my old age.

It's not as if you are required to hold the Cue over your head for 4 hours,
so why would a few ounces either way make a difference as you get older ?

Good point. Thank you. Johnnyt
 
When I was younger - much younger - I played with 15 and 16 ounce cues (even lighter when playing snooker). Add a bunch of years (and multiple shoulder surgeries, including the removal of tendons from the right shoulder) and I no longer have the fine muscle control to use the light sticks. I now use 18 to 19.5 ounce cues. The heavier cues allow me to maintain the same level of incompetence as when I was a kid.
 
Johnny, I really like your posts... but this one.... well...... let's just say that if you have to use a lighter cue when you get older, then you better make sure your change is in one pocket, and your keys in the other, or you just might end up walking in circles!

LOL. Yeah I'm getting too paranoid in my old age with pool.:) Johnnyt
 
I have found that as I got older I slowly started to change the weight of my cue. My arms do not have the strength that they used to have and it's necessary for me to shoot some shots with quickness and not so much with power.

I played with a 19.5 oz for many years and then within the last 20 years have downsized to an 18 oz. Doesn't sound like much but it does make a lot of difference. I have noticed that with a lighter cue the big draw shot has faded some but I just work around that now with better planing. Of course changing the preference of games helps. These days I prefer games like straight pool, one pocket and eight ball. Other games like nine ball and ten ball require shots with a much bigger stroke and need a heavier cue.
 
I know this is an old thread but...........

I was just reading some old threads and came across this one. Couldnt help but give my own little insight on the subject, seeing as how I play with cues that weigh in from 21-22 oz. My take on the OP playing better now that hes using a heavier cue than what hes used to? In my own trial and error stages of pool ( which is still an ongoing thing, lol ) I've discovered, that personally I play better with a heavier cue because it promotes me to allow the cue's own weight to do the work. A heavier cue allows me to have a better feel of the cue and how fast and smooth it swings in my stroke. I can also have a looser grip and not worry if the cue will slide out of my hands becasue the cues own weight keeps it in my hand ( Works even better with a wrapless cue ). A looser grip also allows me to utilize my whip/throw stroke technique with ease and accuracy, where as if I were to grip a lighter cue much tighter I would then not have as a dramatic wrist whip/throw technique and have ended up with less power in draw and follow shots. Again this is only how a heavier cue benefits MY style of play:o
 
I've always like very light weight cues. I'm playing with a 17.9 oz and it's not lite enough. I have a 16 3/4 oz coming.. ought to be here today. :groucho:

I've never shot with a 15 oz cue. But I'd like to try one. Anybody want to recommend a cue guy to drill some weight out of a cue? I've got a couple old cues I'd love to play with but are too heavy.
 
Last edited:
Well since I am in line here in God's Waiting Room, I guess I qualify to post in this thread:grin:


As Kids there were a lot of 14 oz cues. Today try and find a 17 oz or lighter is hard to do. But with the newer technology and much faster tables and lighter ball it only goes to reason a lighter stick might be a better way to go regardless of age. I still shoot with a 19 oz.

BTW I was ask if I wore Boxers or Briefs. I said depends.
 
cue weight

I'm 66 years old and find that a heavier cue helps offset a tremor that I have picked up in my old age.
 
cue weight

The main reason I see for changing cue weights is the change in equipment. The newer higher speed cloths, ball characteristics, as well as rail rubber changes have changed our strokes. On older, backed slower cloths higher quality strokes were necessary to accomplish shots that today's faster cloths don't require. Today players hold back more on shots, for fear of over stroking. It's much easier to draw the cueball 6 rails today on Simonis and Granita cloth than 15 years ago on backed wool/nylon cloth. Talk with Nick Varner and he will agree.

The elastic response of today's ballsets require a lighter stroke to accomplish the same speed. This is easier to achieve with a lighter cue. It can be achieved with a heavy cue, but......

Modern rail rubbers provide a more firm elastic response and don't require pounding them to move a ball. Lighter cues can accomplish this easier.

I believe if you looked at the older more experienced pros, as a group, and asked them, they would say they have gone to lighter cues over the years. My guess is that many, like Buddy Hall, will admit they are playing with a cue that is lighter than what they played with way back when.

Just some food for thought. Another $0.02
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:
 
Back
Top