If a foreigner wants to match up - where to go in the US?

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Houston. Big Tyme Billiards. Plenty of action. I can find you a game. Also plenty of tournaments in Houston as well.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Tony

Any noted local contenders thereabouts? Tony Robles? Champ of a fellow btw, though met him only once.

Might drift in low profile like with my libertarianish buddy Trumpy, as I call him.

Colin

Tony plays at Amsterdam.

Wedge

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are planning a trip to the U.S. I would think you would be better off planning your trip around a big tourney like the Derby City Classic. This way you would be guaranteed some excitement and I'm sure you could line up some games/areas after the tourney is over.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
What are you trying to bet too? $200-500 sets. Sets for a 2k-5k? Either way there is action and if you bring 20k we can match it.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Is Maryland a state or a section of a fairground?

Oh it's a state but after you leave you liken it to a fairground, lots of games, you'll get taken for a ride & when you leave you may try to figure out what happened to your $, just like a fair.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I didn't know what kind of player you were looking for. You can work up the ladder here. I'll start. Then you can take on Steve Boucher or Sam Devers or Nick Evans or Andy Quinn.
Don't tell Steve Boucher, but I'll let you just beat me, and we''ll go halves on what I get from him with odds ;-)

Just kidding, appreciate the offer and sounds like a great place to visit and play with some keen pool aficionados.

Still in research phase....

Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are planning a trip to the U.S. I would think you would be better off planning your trip around a big tourney like the Derby City Classic. This way you would be guaranteed some excitement and I'm sure you could line up some games/areas after the tourney is over.
Would be a great place to start, but also would be a way of late planning and giving away one's form.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beware of Bank it, rough action. He'll play you some 9 ball and bank the rack just to watch you squirm in your chair.
Considering there's only about 5 US players that can break & run at over 25% in 9-ball, I doubt the Maryland locals are gonna make all bank 9 ball runs better than 2%. So my chair won't get too warm.

Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you trying to bet too? $200-500 sets. Sets for a 2k-5k? Either way there is action and if you bring 20k we can match it.
Depends on research. But I'd be thinking $1,000 standard challenges, say race to 21 or 3 hours type challenge depending on the game.

20k with strangers is inviting to be shot.

Colin

ivicafranic

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Considering there's only about 5 US players that can break & run at over 25% in 9-ball, I doubt the Maryland locals are gonna make all bank 9 ball runs better than 2%. So my chair won't get too warm.

Colin

Actually,you don't have any chances against Mike Lambros in Maryland and he is only 4th best player in that state:eek::eek::):eek::eek:

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great room but the majority of the action is one pocket.

Wedge
Thanks,

1 pocket not my thing, but would enjoy some small money games with the locals to learn more about it. When I watch on youtube, I rarely get past the first hour or game (almost the same). I suspect I'd sell out more than I'd go out.

Colin

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually,you don't have any chances against Mike Lambros in Maryland and he is only 4th best player in that state:eek::eek::):eek::eek:
See, that's the kinda shite that could really divert my travel plans.
LOL

btw: Sure you're a champ Mike, but I reckon I could beat you hitting 2 rails every shot in 9 ball while you played stop shots and roll ins. :D

Colin

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member

Colin

Depends on research. But I'd be thinking $1,000 standard challenges, say race to 21 or 3 hours type challenge depending on the game.

20k with strangers is inviting to be shot.

Colin

Well you can get action with a handful of people here. Let me know.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you can get action with a handful of people here. Let me know.
City, State?

You maybe mentioned earlier, but would appreciate if you made it easier for me. Would be a lot simpler to drift state to state, city to city in a coordinated way, rather than fly back and forth.

How US people get around to match up efficiently is kinda a mystery to us foreigners.

Colin

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'd be extremely careful, Colin. Getting robbed or worse is a very real possibility. Unless you have a friend, at that poolroom, who is looking out for your interest you are gambling very high indeed. I bet half the players offering to get you games are contemplating how to best set you up for their local idol/hustler. If something goes down you cannot count on online friends, you need a real friend that at least knows the houseman and is known in the poolhall. You can guarantee that anything less than that, they will set you up for their local champ. Having actual friends in the hall will also help you with the more dangerous scenarios. Otherwise, who will help you when they stiff/rob/stab you?