If you really want to beat the ghost in 9ball....

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Now I didn't know you were a real pool player !!

I use to play Harry Plattis 14.1 $500-$1000 a game quite often, last time we played was for $16k race to 125, he lost with 121 points. I just quit playing in Jan 1990 to work on pool tables full time.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Great story Glen. I have watched Rich play on streams for years and have admired his game. "The Hat" is still a threat in many tourneys he enters. Not enough O's in smooth to describe his stroke.

And he still has that stand up, smooth stroke today...LOL

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that's the beauty of the skill level testing, the ghost has the maximum 10 rack score of 140 points, the test is which 128 players in the world can get the closest to tie the ghosts score. The ghost runs every rack AND makes 4 balls past the side pockets for a total of 140 points. I would expect there's at least 128 players in the world that can post scores between 125-135 with the first shot after the break to start with.

I think this is a little bit different than what you suggested in your OP.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Who exactly are these people you keep talking about?

I've beaten the ghost a few times. I don't think I'm a pro.

KMRUNOUT has said he is able to beat the ghost regularly. He doesn't consider himself a pro.

Isn't that kind of the point of some kind of skill level test, to clarify what skills it really takes to be considered a Pro? 10's of thousands of people play golf all over the world, thosands of golfers can be considered to be Pro's, but only 150 represent the PGA as touring Pro's.....why?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am a slight favorite against the 9 ball ghost. I recently beat the 10 ball ghost on a medium tight 9' gold crown with wooden rack. They make me an A+ in the tourneys. And I think on my good days that might be right, maybe a little high. I can assure Glen that I do not even remotely consider myself a pro. Pros will drill me. At the same time, I'm definitely not a B player. Some people have fairly realistic assessments of their own game...which is the point of me mentioning these things.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Ok, but what defines a Pro?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not so sure that is really true. Half of the Europeans that play pro live in the States. The Eurotour is organized, but it pays hardly anything. In the Philippines they haven't had an organized tour like the San Miguel tour in 5 or 6 years. Even that world championship they had a few year back that Efren and Busty boycotted I think the promoter stiffed everyone.

I think we as American think pool is 10x better in other countries. I think rather, it is our imaginations running away with us.

IMO:)

Then how do you explain Brunswick selling so many GC5's out of this country and Diamond selling about 60% of their production out of country....and not only growing in sales, but are back ordered??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think this is a little bit different than what you suggested in your OP.

My first post was about playing the ghost with only 1 handicap, the first shot after the break as a better way of playing the ghost, a more real result if you want to look at it that way, but more reality of a players skills than saying they beat the ghost....with so any handicaps it becomes a joke.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen, I know you are passionate about the game. I think we all are that post regularly here.

I wish changing the format would make the game more popular, and bring in new players. From bangers on dates, to serious players. But I think in the hundreds of years some version of billiards has been around, it has steadily decreased in popularity. So many format changes were tried over the decades to reverse this course. None were successful.

People just have so many other things to do with their time now. I don't think the game will ever be popular again on a social level, or on a professional level. Unfortunately.

See, right there's the problem, there's NEVER been pool tournaments let alone world championship tournaments with players that had to prove their "Pro" status first before entering an event, therefore we've never had Professional's representing this sport for the good of all who love it so much. All other sports separate the Pro's from the rest of the herd, but not in this sport. In this sport the herd of players all think they should be playing with the Pro's as well, which is why they as a group have such influence over the rules by which these games are now played as to keep from losing their entry fees, which by the way make up the majority of tbe tournament prize money payouts!!!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not so sure that is really true. Half of the Europeans that play pro live in the States. The Eurotour is organized, but it pays hardly anything. In the Philippines they haven't had an organized tour like the San Miguel tour in 5 or 6 years. Even that world championship they had a few year back that Efren and Busty boycotted I think the promoter stiffed everyone.

I think we as American think pool is 10x better in other countries. I think rather, it is our imaginations running away with us.

IMO:)

You ever lived out of this country and played pool? I have, so i speak with the experience of living in Germany for 6 years and italy for another year, and can tell you without a doubt pool has been growing like mad everywhere but here, because they don't have pool room owners hanging onto junk equipment waiting on someone to give them a trade-in for their old pool tables before they're willing to step up to better equipment for their customers. I recently talked to and sold 18 Diamond 9ft ProAms to a customer in Croatia of all places, and yet...we have room owners here still charging on junk pool tables.....why is that?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You ever lived out of this country and played pool? I have, so i speak with the experience of living in Germany for 6 years and italy for another year, and can tell you without a doubt pool has been growing like mad everywhere but here, because they don't have pool room owners hanging onto junk equipment waiting on someone to give them a trade-in for their old pool tables before they're willing to step up to better equipment for their customers. I recently talked to and sold 18 Diamond 9ft ProAms to a customer in Croatia of all places, and yet...we have room owners here still charging on junk pool tables.....why is that?

I haven't lived out of country, no. But I visited several places for one week or more, and always brought my cues with me. In the past 15 years, I've been to Shenzen, China about 6 times; Taipei, Taiwan 2 times; Athens, Greece 1 time; Munich, Germany 1 time; Paris, France 1 time.

In all of those places, I visited the local rooms one or more times. Trying to get a game (for free or money) with the locals. Always asking the houseman if there was anyone I could play. I didn't come across one single A player. I did come across one solid B in China, and one solid B+ in Taipei.

None of the rooms were packed. Most about 1/4 full.

Now, in contrast, in the 1990's, in Philly (where I'm from), the rooms had a waiting list 30 minutes long every weekend of the entire year. And in the summer time with no school, there was a waiting list every summer week night as well. So my experience with pool in the State's in the 1990's compared to Europe and Asia in the 2000 to 2010 timeframe, was no comparison. USA by a mile.

Today, those same rooms in Philly are either closed or barely still open. I can't comment on what is going on in Europe and Asia personally, as I have not been there since 2010.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laugh all you want, but you've never once had an idea about how to straighten pool out, so yeah, you're better off leaving it to the thinkers and doers....haha

You are right, once again you are the only one who knows anything on any topic under the sun in the entire pool world, wait, all the world:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I haven't lived out of country, no. But I visited several places for one week or more, and always brought my cues with me. In the past 15 years, I've been to Shenzen, China about 6 times; Taipei, Taiwan 2 times; Athens, Greece 1 time; Munich, Germany 1 time; Paris, France 1 time.

In all of those places, I visited the local rooms one or more times. Trying to get a game (for free or money) with the locals. Always asking the houseman if there was anyone I could play. I didn't come across one single A player. I did come across one solid B in China, and one solid B+ in Taipei.

None of the rooms were packed. Most about 1/4 full.

Now, in contrast, in the 1990's, in Philly (where I'm from), the rooms had a waiting list 30 minutes long every weekend of the entire year. And in the summer time with no school, there was a waiting list every summer week night as well. So my experience with pool in the State's in the 1990's compared to Europe and Asia in the 2000 to 2010 timeframe, was no comparison. USA by a mile.

Today, those same rooms in Philly are either closed or barely still open. I can't comment on what is going on in Europe and Asia personally, as I have not been there since 2010.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's i owned 3 pool rooms, and through all my research through the BCA and other pool rooms around the country, the average rental time in pool rooms is about 5.5 hours a day. Recently i found out that the average pool player in Jakarta Indonesia plays about 4 hours a day, and has to get on the waiting list in most pool rooms in order to get that time in.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then how do you explain Brunswick selling so many GC5's out of this country and Diamond selling about 60% of their production out of country....and not only growing in sales, but are back ordered??

If diamond is backordered, they should expand their factory, or contract work out, or be more efficient in their operations.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late 80's and early 90's i owned 3 pool rooms, and through all my research through the BCA and other pool rooms around the country, the average rental time in pool rooms is about 5.5 hours a day. Recently i found out that the average pool player in Jakarta Indonesia plays about 4 hours a day, and has to get on the waiting list in most pool rooms in order to get that time in.

I don't believe it. Seriously. If pool was so big in other countries, you would hear about tournaments in those countries, with either prestige, or high payouts. The biggest ones still seem to be in the USA, as few as there are now. Even the World Championships, put up by the billionaire oil kings, doesn't even pay much more than the US Open does.