If you won a big lottery, would you....

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Well, I wouldn't piss it away mindlessly, but maybe with some research, finding good locations I might open a chain of pool rooms, help employ some people, take a menial profit from each, and let the majority of profits fund youth programs that promote pool while occasionally building a small percentage of profits to further expand, continue the cycle.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd subsidize a medical insurance plan and a pension plan for the top pro players.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
With what I had left after donating most of the money to humane societies across America, I would set up two tournaments per year, one in the summer and one in the winter, with purses of at least $100k apiece for first place, paying the top 25% of the field. I would also hire a top marketing firm to get the attention of the masses. Commercials featuring the real character of some of the top players would be a must. Show Earl screaming and Darren jumping onto the table etc. Maybe Jasmin, Jeannette, and Borana at the tables... Whatever it takes to sell pool. With the big purses will come a push by younger players to improve and come out and try to get the cash. I hope...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm not sure what I would do if I won the lottery. I would probably call on my new friends for guidance in how to spend it.

Not going to spend a lot of thought on it. But yeah, I would do something, just don't know what.

Maybe create a really high end pool room in my hometown for all to enjoy. I might tailor the design after Fargo Billiards and ask Mike Page to help.

JoeyA

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I'd promote GAMBLING..... Let me have a hundred mill and you would see the talent level of pool talent be raised a good bit. Look what happened to everyone's game when Dippy was playing, and Dippy don't have anywhere close to 100 mill.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I won 100 mill, and Im taking the lump sum payment of 40mill .
After taxes and personal adjustments, retirements and educational funds ,Housing, ect,

.... And to the game of Pocket Billiards (aka..Pool) , I (Tronpocket) being obviously of questionable state of mind and body:speechless:, pledge Too and bequeath.....

1. To Buy my home pool room , so my boss can retire,...and get off my arse.:rolleyes:, est. cost, 400K
2. To Write, finance and produce the next "Pool Movie",cause even if there bad they always seem to give the sport a little boost and even have the potential to spark a 20 year resurgence, We are over due. est. cost, 10million.
3. To Host specialty "All Round" championship tournaments. w/ added monies. @100k a pop , 400k a year
4.To Push for international olympic recognition, another bold move but with europe and asia exploding with pool players, we shouldnt have trouble, its just that no one has the time to make the effort ......yet. , id invest 2 million to help "persuade" some committe members
5. To Put a 10 Gs a week in my pocket and play,......................and by the end of the year every gambling pool player in my area would be driving new Hondas . estimated cost, 200k a year,
Cmon.... i cant lose every game......can I ???:embarrassed2:

and last but not least , for a few of our beloved members, pool experts and "enthusiests" alike.....

6. To each and all our AZB "free stream" providers, just to say thanks for a what amounts to a labor of love for most of them., with the stipulation they continue to provide a FREE service to us, every event, every week... 100k a piece, so 500k a year?
7. Buy a copy of Freddie the Beards new book for every member in "good standing". est. cost.....$1500:nanner:, and a 10g donation to the Beard as "thanks" for the awesome and kind words he wrote about some of the legendary players i know, 11.5gs
8. Buy a cue a week from the for sale forum, pay double, then give it away.
9. Buy Genomachino a bigger motor home .....with bunk beds and a urinal;), est cost.....w/ new tires , full tank and "personalizations" about 55k......

and last on my list....coming in at #10

10. Buy the A.P.A, raise the 23 point rule to 25 , rework theire "equalizer" handicap system to be less "manipulatable"....A lifetime banning of player(s) who attempt to manipulate the system, ...institute mandatory performance based payouts :rolleyes:................... and sell it to china.:eek: estimated cost........priceless.....:p

Total donation to the game ive spent way to many years trying to play.
To the moments of greatness punctuated by hours of torment and frustration.
To the game i love to hate.........13.565 million +.

Tronpocket<----------------getting the "hang" of this......:grin-devilish:

MississaugaFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10. Buy the A.P.A, raise the 23 point rule to 25 , rework theire "equalizer" handicap system to be less "manipulatable"....A lifetime banning of player(s) who attempt to manipulate the system, ...institute mandatory performance based payouts :rolleyes:................... and sell it to china.:eek: estimated cost........priceless.....:p

Tronpocket<----------------getting the "hang" of this......:grin-devilish:

I really love this part..:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
10. Buy the A.P.A,

I like this idea. Then change the APA rules so that they play WSR 8-ball (call shot) and 9-ball (with a pushout).

And then I'd ban everyone who makes silly AZ posts about the APA.

Freddie <~~~ would be the first banned

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I would gather a think tank of professionals from business, hollywood, reality tv, and the pool world and lock them in a room until they come up with a format or idea for pool competition that has a reasonable chance of working.

Because this idea would have a good chance of turning a profit, it wouldn't be hard to find outside investors, leaving the majority of the $100m to be spent on myself, family, and friends.

Professional sports associations are huge endeavors and trying to set something up like that solo or with only pool world people is just begging for failure.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I daydream a lot about things like this. (A $1 lottery ticket buys an awful lot of daydreaming, if only for a few hours.)

I wouldn't be dumping a huge chunk of money into anything initially. I would devise a way to try and create some sort of structure. I would try to create a national "tour", by incorporating (and adding money to the prize fund) of existing events, ideally one a month or so, with a points race towards a limited number of players qualifying to participate in a year end tournament for a reasonably large prize.

The goal of starting somewhat small is to for everything to grow. The players, the promoters, and anyone connected within the industry, hopefully with some sort of governing body being created. Not one "this is gonna be the thing that saves pool" idea that we hear about from time to time. There are plenty of existing events that have been running successfully for some time now, we need to utilize them (and add to them, of course, and support them) and if such a tour eventually could stand on its own, begin to add additional events as the situations affords and warrants.

The points race element is critical, to me. It is the one thing about the way the Mosconi Cup had been run in previous years that is missing in pool now, an actual, tangible reason to get players to attend as many events as possible. That grows the event, that generates interest in the public in the results of these tournaments, it gives people a form of "standings" to keep track of. Every successful sport in the US has some sort of standings or rankings, which keeps people invested in paying attention to the sport. Matchroom doesn't really need such a structure for the MC, it is an event that stands on its own, and is a TV show first. Nothing wrong with that, but when there was a points race to be included on the team (and the year end payday) there was more interest and more participation in tournaments that were "points" tourneys.

Another goal by steady, slower growth is to not get ahead of ones self. And to hopefully be able to create a product that could generate sponsorship, such that the whole thing becomes self-sufficient after a few years, not relying on a lottery winner to keep it going.

I also like the ideas others have mentioned about creating youth programs, and school programs. I would also want to contribute to something along those lines.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
First I would pay $50,000,000 to the government(s) in taxes. Depending on the state you reside in, it might be more.

If I did anything for pool, I'd promote the Mosconi Cup by buying the required amount of TV time and lots of advertising to support it.

Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
This question came up in another thread and I thought it deserved a thread of its own...

If you won the lottery (say, $100 million net payout

The actual size isn't important as what you'd do for pool with whatever monies your idea would take to implement.

Btw, I don't think many here really understand just how much money $100 million is and that simply spending it on something wouldn't even make a dent in the total. I'm really asking about investing it for the whole future of pool the game, not just spending some on one or two ideas.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Pro-circuit. However, I'd try to round up other filthy rich to develop the circuit.

We could each sponsor 5 pro-players to represent, setup a multi-year salary contract, and pony up $5 million each year as an owner membership fee to join the circuit. Get 30 sponsors and that's $150 million in resources to fund this dealio each year. Players get paid a lucrative salary. Winnings return to the sponsors. End of season, players get rewarded with salary increases and bonuses. The owner/sponsor gets bragging rights among the rich and might even make a few million on top of it.

Keep in mind, money is no object for the group I'm referring to and suffer any financial loss as a sponsor doesn't hurt the bank at all. We're loaded and love the game.

Bring the money and everything else will just work out... :)

-Doug

Is that really all it takes, more money? What happens when the money runs out (and it will without profits being integrated into your idea)?

I like your idea, but does it sustain the game or just make it good until the money dries up?

See where I'm going (or trying to) with this thread?

Jeff Livingston

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I daydream a lot about things like this. (A $1 lottery ticket buys an awful lot of daydreaming, if only for a few hours.)

I wouldn't be dumping a huge chunk of money into anything initially. I would devise a way to try and create some sort of structure. I would try to create a national "tour", by incorporating (and adding money to the prize fund) of existing events, ideally one a month or so, with a points race towards a limited number of players qualifying to participate in a year end tournament for a reasonably large prize.

The goal of starting somewhat small is to for everything to grow. The players, the promoters, and anyone connected within the industry, hopefully with some sort of governing body being created. Not one "this is gonna be the thing that saves pool" idea that we hear about from time to time. There are plenty of existing events that have been running successfully for some time now, we need to utilize them (and add to them, of course, and support them) and if such a tour eventually could stand on its own, begin to add additional events as the situations affords and warrants.

The points race element is critical, to me. It is the one thing about the way the Mosconi Cup had been run in previous years that is missing in pool now, an actual, tangible reason to get players to attend as many events as possible. That grows the event, that generates interest in the public in the results of these tournaments, it gives people a form of "standings" to keep track of. Every successful sport in the US has some sort of standings or rankings, which keeps people invested in paying attention to the sport. Matchroom doesn't really need such a structure for the MC, it is an event that stands on its own, and is a TV show first. Nothing wrong with that, but when there was a points race to be included on the team (and the year end payday) there was more interest and more participation in tournaments that were "points" tourneys.

Another goal by steady, slower growth is to not get ahead of ones self. And to hopefully be able to create a product that could generate sponsorship, such that the whole thing becomes self-sufficient after a few years, not relying on a lottery winner to keep it going.

I also like the ideas others have mentioned about creating youth programs, and school programs. I would also want to contribute to something along those lines.

I forgot to add, after you get through year one, and prove that you indeed are coming back for year two, you start incorporating a lot more promotional requirements from the players (and the event locations). Involvement with the public, pro ams, clinics, whatever can be done. Definetely involvement with the league systems.

Growth. Generating interest from the public.

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
JoeyA, truth be told...

I'm not sure what I would do if I won the lottery. I would probably call on my new friends for guidance in how to spend it.

Not going to spend a lot of thought on it. But yeah, I would do something, just don't know what.

Maybe create a really high end pool room in my hometown for all to enjoy. I might tailor the design after Fargo Billiards and ask Mike Page to help.

JoeyA

i'm with you; having a really high end pool room in my home town would be a blast, but i think we had one but could it survive - it didn't.

this reminds me of many years ago there was a really high end gun club in my little home town in NJ and i had the privilege of shooing with the police force and other members - what a
Great Club, something i'll never forget.

on the other hand, pool is what it is and for me there are only two Great Games that i know, they are: pool and chess. i'll never master them, but still enjoy them immensely.

about a windfall coming my way and in all seriousness i would try and keep a little for when i am too old [maybe that is now] and the all of the rest i would give to wounded vets as homage to their and their family's sacrifices. making sure there is money for life and for their children's education.

for me, i could not think of pool, a game in comparison to the Most Giving of us.

of course i am old school, no doubt...
but i know many others [even the young] are too

all the best,
smokey

JoeyA

Silver Member
Is that really all it takes, more money? What happens when the money runs out (and it will without profits being integrated into your idea)?

I like your idea, but does it sustain the game or just make it good until the money dries up?

See where I'm going (or trying to) with this thread?

Jeff Livingston

Masayoshi is on the right track as far as making the sport support itself. I would throw in some sport professionals, people who understand how to promote sports, not just business professionals. I believe there is a big difference in developing a sound business plan for a sports oriented business and it requires people who understand that (but I'm not talking about having pool players on the board of directors). Pool players are too close to the problem and would have difficulty making hard choices.

I do believe the other idea about youth programs is a great idea. Some AZB members think that way and have already put that idea to work. Thanks ForceFollow. :thumbup:

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
i'm with you; having a really high end pool room in my home town would be a blast, but i think we had one but could it survive - it didn't.

this reminds me of many years ago there was a really high end gun club in my little home town in NJ and i had the privilege of shooing with the police force and other members - what a
Great Club, something i'll never forget.

on the other hand, pool is what it is and for me there are only two Great Games that i know, they are: pool and chess. i'll never master them, but still enjoy them immensely.

about a windfall coming my way and in all seriousness i would try and keep a little for when i am too old [maybe that is now] and the all of the rest i would give to wounded vets as homage to their and their family's sacrifices. making sure there is money for life and for their children's education.

for me, i could not think of pool, a game in comparison to the Most Giving of us.

of course i am old school, no doubt...
but i know many others [even the young] are too

all the best,
smokey

Like it all Smokey!
JoeyA

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I should have known that so many other people have put as much thought into this as I have...

I think you have to grow the sport from both ends (and we now have a middle too thanks to Joe Tucker). Seems like pool is doing fine in the rest of the world, by the way. But to grow pool in the US I think you have to generate a lot of new customers, especially youth, to make it long term sustainable. I also believe you have to give the youth a goal to shoot for, so you have to put the pro's of today "on display". So I would do both. I would fund a pro series and youth programs. I would also help Joe Tucker's American Billiard Club (the middle).

First off, the pay structure has to be such that the average pro can make a comfortable living playing pool. That will make it so that parents will be that much more willing to encouraging kids to play pool. And I would fund junior competitions in the spirit of good healthy competition, and fund scholarships, instruction, junior leagues, etc.

I would also do as much as I could to clean up the image of pool as being only for hustlers. I believe that's the reason pool does so much worse in the US than other countries. You don't want anything to deter parents from allowing their kids to participate in pool.

Developing a customer base is obviously important. Developing the pro side of the sport is important to "sell the idea of pool" to that customer base. Now, here is where the rubber meets the road. How, specifically, do you reach the customer base? And what, specifically, do you show them?

First, I would build an "ultimate" pool venue. Within the venue, besides good food and service, there would be many rooms with 12 or 16 tables in each room. Some rooms would be bar tables, some rooms would be GC's, some Diamond, some Diamond Pro Cuts, etc.

The most outstanding feature of the pool venue would be that there would be a separate, permanent "pro tournament arena". Something along the lines of a York Hall, except that it would be oval because there would 2 rows of 8 to 10 tables. It would have comfortable, theater style seating all around, maybe 12 to 20 rows deep. At one end would be the TV table, maybe two TV tables, one at each end. The arena could be used for other tournaments as well, such as junior nationals or some such. It could even be rented out to Matchroom when the Mosconi Cup was in the US. The arena's tables could be used for an exclusive "billiard club" when not in use for tournaments.

For the "pro tournament arena" I would want to promote as many new pro tournaments as feasible with substantial payouts. (I would probably also subsidize many of the great tournaments that already exist). I would do whatever I had to to make sure that every seat in the place was full during matches, at least around the TV table(s). I would create a few tournaments of the non-typical games, especially 8-ball, since that's the game the masses are familiar with. And have varying formats, including women's tournaments, pro mixed Scotch Doubles, seniors, and maybe one or two more "team" tournaments like the Mosconi Cup.

Next, I would create a video production arm (or hire/buy Accu-stats) to create great broadcasts of matches. Something along the lines of the pizzaz of Matchroom, but I can see some (small) ways to improve on what they do. It would create full length match videos to either sell as DVD's, or sell on demand or both, and edited shortened versions to fit time slots for TV. Initially I would GIVE the TV versions of the video to ESPN if I had to, just to get the exposure for pool. Hopefully the contracts will come in time.

Then, I would create a "Cue Sports Network" (not just pool either, but lots of "filler" like 3-cushion, snooker, Russian Pyramid, etc.) probably as an internet subscription network initially. Subscriptions rates would be very affordable. Hopefully revenue would increase over time with sponsorship, and not raise subscription rates. The network would show the full matches of tournaments, delayed - in multiple time slots - whereas what would be shown on TV networks such as ESPN would be the edited versions to fit time slots and not delayed by very much. The ultimate goal - this is when we would all know that pool has arrived - would be to see LIVE finals of major pro tournaments on major TV networks like ESPN.

The "Cue Sports Network" and the TV matches would have free advertising for pool halls, leagues, instructors, junior programs, etc. And charge for advertising from the corporate sponsors.

The video production arm would also create short video spots for the purpose of generating interest in pool, such as the history of pool, rules, basics of how to play (cue ball control), about leagues, player profiles, player interviews, etc. I would especially create a spot that explained the difference between hustling and gambling, and de-emphasize the hustling aspect. In my opinion that's the only way to really grow the sport with new people, especially kids, because it's the parents who decide what activities they will allow their kids to participate in. I would run these segments as much as possible on the "Cue Sports Network" and the TV matches.

EDIT: I would also expose as many people as possible to these video segments. They would be seen for free on You Tube, and I would pay ESPN to run them during other sporting events. As well as advertise the tournaments and the "Cue Sports Network" during other sporting events.

If and when the business components become self sustaining, you can't get greedy. You still have to fund the junior programs to maintain the long term popularity, and hence the long term profitability, of the sport.

Fatz

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
give it away

This question came up in another thread and I thought it deserved a thread of its own...

If you won the lottery (say, $100 million net payout or as much as you can dream about), would you

Create a top-down pro circuit with good prize funds, etc

or

Buy a pool table for every school in America?

??

Or what else might you do for pool with the money?

Is a top-down system a better buy for you or would you spread out the monies and help build pool from the bottom up? Etc. etc.

Jeff Livingston

After paying a couple old debts and giving some to my children, I'd give most to deserving charities.

I might consider opening up a "real" billiard center, no smoking, healthy food and a variety of leagues and tournaments, including junior events. Seven, eight, nine and ten-foot tables, including snooker, billiards and even a bumper table! More events for women, wheelchair players, older players, etc.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
How about using some of it to create an X-FACTOR contest where the first to come up with, say, a pro tour that becomes profitable in two years, gets $25 Million Prize?

Such a contest got private enterprise into space.

Jeff Livingston