I'm buying a table soon....NEED ADVICE

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My house should be finished the end of december, and I will be moving in january, I plan to invest around 4500 in a 9' table. I have looked at some, and i dont want one the looks like a piece of furniture. If i should get a brand new one how much is it going to cost to have it set up and all the good stuff?
Or would i just better off gettting a good used one so i could afford a light balls etc....If so where could i get a good used in the Atlanta/Northwest georgia area?....thanks

OriontheHunter

Dreamin' of Pool Cues
Silver Member
Diamond Pro Am

Highly recommend a Diamond Table (IMHO). The Pro Am one piece slate play awesome and looks great as well. You may be able to get a tournament used table directly from Diamond. Talk to them, they are a great company to work with. Top notch. Good luck to you. I waited ten years to finally achieve the dream of owning a table at home. It was well worth it and it has helped me get back into stroke.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have more than enough to sink into a quality setup.... Either a Gold Crown or a Diamond and you won't go wrong...

if you'd like, I'd suggest checking out the "going out of business" thread guy that has 10 tables for sale...

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Buy used

Scottlucasi19 said:
My house should be finished the end of december, and I will be moving in january, I plan to invest around 4500 in a 9' table. I have looked at some, and i dont want one the looks like a piece of furniture. If i should get a brand new one how much is it going to cost to have it set up and all the good stuff?
Or would i just better off gettting a good used one so i could afford a light balls etc....If so where could i get a good used in the Atlanta/Northwest georgia area?....thanks

If I was on a budget I would buy a used table and then have enough left over for the light, balls, and cue rack. You could get a table for around $2500.00 and have 2 grand left for the other stuff, maybe a new cue in there somewhere! :eek: :eek: :D

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i have an Olhausen and love it..good luck to you and let us know what you get...:)

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:
So what the difference in a diamond professional and the pro-am?

I think the ProAm is 1 piece slate and has built in ball return, the professional I think is 3 piece slate and ball return is optional(?). I just happen to like the style of the professional better and if I ever had to move it then moving 3 piece slate would appeal to me better, just my preference as they are both great tables.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert Ray is selling some tables in Raliegh NC at this time and he has or had a Diamond Proam and a Gold crown 5 and 7 Olhausens. Look back through the for sale post his pool room is called Play To Win. I have a Diamond Pro 9 footer in my avatar and love it, good luck.--Leonard

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
In this price range, for a new non-furniture table, I would think it's between the Gabriel's and the Diamond Pro. These are both high quality player's tables. Just check them out on your own. These are recommended to me by a top mechanic/player and I agree with him.

Chris

av84fun

Banned
You are IN LUCK with your January timing. The Derby City Classic takes place through Jan 12th or so and I am quite sure that they will sell all of the tables used in that event.

If I am not mistaken they are Diamond Pros (a great table) covered with Simonis 860 in tournament blue..so the cloth and tables will be only a week or so old.

Shipping, of course, would be an issue depending on how far you live from Louisville...but then shipping is factored in to the retail price anyway regardless of where you live.

You would be well advised to contact Diamond.

Good luck.
Jim

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
The Diamond Pro is about 6 grand new, I believe, but you might be able to buy one slightly used for around 4 grand. I don't think there is much a difference between the one piece or three piece slate. I have a friend who bought one of the IPT tables from the Reno tournament and he loves it. His is a one piece slate.

I believe the quality of the Diamond is about as good as you can buy. I played in the World 14.1 in July and all the tables played great. They were one piece slate as well.

Jim makes a really sound suggestion about buying one from the Derby City Open. The one piece slate tables are easier to set up than most.

The Gold Crowns aren't made as heavy as they were 30 years ago and the quality isn't quite as good. They're also way over priced.

Danny K

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I haven't owned a Diamond table, I have played on one plenty. Very nice tables.

I have owned a few GC's and an Olhausen Pro. I would recomend a GC over the Olhausen Pro any day.

Russ....

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a used Brunswick Gold Crown for $2000 and use the extra money for Simonis 860 cloth, new rails and tightening up the pockets. You'll have the best playing table and still have money left over for lights, racks, balls, etc.

There is a reason why Brunswicks are in every pool room. They can take a beating and remain consistant.