I'm getting tired of slumps

DanielDeTinne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it. I start every League season and play amazing. Then about the half way point I fall apart for about 4 to 6 weeks. It drives me crazy. I am on a 6 week loosing streak now. I went to practice, first game break and run. Then 5 more games I play amazing.
Then my first League match I barely win and lose the next 3 games. What's really bad is the players I lost to are not very good. I just kept falling apart. I don't get why I can't seem to play consistent.
I play great for about 2 months then bad for a month or so then great for a few months, then bad again.
Just really frustrated.
When I'm playing good I'm winning local tournaments and all my league games. When I'm in a slump I'm losing most everything.
How do I get rid of the slumps?
 
I don't get it. I start every League season and play amazing. Then about the half way point I fall apart for about 4 to 6 weeks. It drives me crazy. I am on a 6 week loosing streak now. I went to practice, first game break and run. Then 5 more games I play amazing.
Then my first League match I barely win and lose the next 3 games. What's really bad is the players I lost to are not very good. I just kept falling apart. I don't get why I can't seem to play consistent.
I play great for about 2 months then bad for a month or so then great for a few months, then bad again.
Just really frustrated.
When I'm playing good I'm winning local tournaments and all my league games. When I'm in a slump I'm losing most everything.
How do I get rid of the slumps?

fundamentals
fundamentals
and fundamentals.

15 minute investment of your time to get answers to your question:

https://youtu.be/FCl3gtp2FUY
 
To figure out why you go into a slump, get a professional lesson from a qualified instructor...one who uses video analysis. Tell us where you are located, and we can suggest someone who can help you.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
 
I don't get it. I start every League season and play amazing. Then about the half way point I fall apart for about 4 to 6 weeks. It drives me crazy. I am on a 6 week loosing streak now. I went to practice, first game break and run. Then 5 more games I play amazing.
Then my first League match I barely win and lose the next 3 games. What's really bad is the players I lost to are not very good. I just kept falling apart. I don't get why I can't seem to play consistent.
I play great for about 2 months then bad for a month or so then great for a few months, then bad again.
Just really frustrated.
When I'm playing good I'm winning local tournaments and all my league games. When I'm in a slump I'm losing most everything.
How do I get rid of the slumps?

i go through the same situation as you a lot. while i agree that proper fundamentals and a good qualified instructor can help you be more consistent i believe there is one other factor just as important. its the mental factor.

wanna know inconsistency ? i have lost to a 2 one night and beat a 7 the next night.

a few of my matches lately.

i am a 5/5

beat a 9 in 9 ball 38-36 on a 9 ' table. the reason i mention the 9' table is because i only play on them once a month or so. every thing else is on valleys and once a month on 7' diamonds also.

like i said...lost 8 ball 2-0 to a 2.

lost 9 ball to a 4 by 31-17

won 9 ball vs a 5 by 38- 12

lost 8 vs a 6 by 5-0

won 8 ball vs a 6 by 4-1

won masters vs a 6/7 by 7/5

lost 9 ball vs a 4 by 31-22

won 9 ball vs a 4 by38-20

won 8 ball vs a 5by 4-0 on a 9'

sunday in masters i lost 7-6 to a 7/9 who had just won the us amateur qualifier the previous day. i lost on a fluke shot after making a great safty. he kicked 2 rails hitting the 6 .....object ball....which hit the 9 knocking it into the side pocket. i am saying it was a fluke because he looked as suprised as i did when it fell.:D

now remember...i am a 5 that just lost badly to a 4 just a few days prior and i took a 7/9 to hill -hill in a non handicapped format race to 7 playing both 8 and 9 ball in a division where push outs and jump cues are allowed. i won 8 ball 3-2....1st format we played ... and lost 9 ball 5-3

so yea i am capable of playing great one night and terrible the next.

i am my own worse critic and go home replaying a lot of matches over in my head....both wins and losses. i realized that most of the time the outcome was due to my mental state at the time. ..i dont believe you lose proper fundamentals one night and they magically reapear the next.

again i want to reiterate...you do ned good fundamentals and a good psr but they aint worth a crap if you are not focused...which is all mental.
 
Last edited:
IMO slumps are about 75% fundamentals and 25% desire when you are a C player, or there about.

Those percentages begin to invert as you become a more seasoned and knowledgeable player on a sliding scale.

So, you know your skill level better than anyone. That will determine the area that needs focus.
 
You and me both. My girlfriend has had one since she was born, and although I usually don't mind, on certain occasions it gets to be a problem.
Like when we're going out for dinner and she's wearing an evening gown, her hump is glaringly obvious. I try not to act too embarrassed, but sometimes...
What? You were talking about slumps? Not humps?
Oh, well, in that case don't worry about it. Everyone plateaus from time to time. You just play through it and go on. :smile:
 
If you're wanting to work on fundamentals then I would recommend Mark Wilson's "Play Great Pool", it's not inexpensive but worth it in my opinion.
 
I agree with most as we are not pro's and when we are off a little, it really shows. When something basic gets off in your stroke, stance, follow through, peeking, raising your head, and anything else that might be off, the one thing you can do, is play smart. It's usually a concentration thing, so, play that extra safe, get ball in hand and finish up.
Good Luck
 
Stop trying to get out of it and just let it happen.
You're putting too much pressure on yourself when you are in the so called slump, it is only because at this very time you are aware that there was a problem that you are aware of said problem. If you are able to stop trying so hard on being perfect or back to your usual level and just playing you won't even notice that you are indeed out of the slump.

The next thing is to stop being so cocky or over confident (not meant to be mean, hear me out) it is possible that you are a level or two lower than you think that you are but because of experience or level of competition or knowledge you actually play well, say a strong B but really a super strong C+ or transitioning C+. Now what happens is you see yourself as being what is otherwise known as your "top gear" when you are really where you are when in the slumps just a more focused version of that, and not the negative temper tantrum stick throwing person.

So reevaluate yourself, be honest with yourself and one of the top two are accurate and will help reduce those days, regardless of skill level but make no mistake sound fundaments and improved skill play a very close role.
 
Practice is for concentrating on fundamentals and working on a repeatable pre shot routine PSR ,,,you work on that till its second nature
You should not be thinking about fundementals during a match
If fact you should spend as little time thinking about anything including anything that's going on the table ,, as possible ..

This is saying in the moment ,, when its your moment step to the table analyze your shot visualize the shot then your PSR and shoot the ball ,, if you make the ball repeat if you miss sit down take a deep breath don't look at the table scan the room never stopping for more than a half second or stare at anything
You want the brain to stay clear and you don't want any negative thoughts to creep in it does zero good to watch the table you can't change a thing
Kid talked about how Ko had the mental edge over Shane and how he was able to clear his mind while sitting in the chair and come to the table fresh with a clear mind
Trust me once you learn this abilty it will make you a better player

1
 
One Pocket

I don't get it. I start every League season and play amazing. Then about the half way point I fall apart for about 4 to 6 weeks. It drives me crazy. I am on a 6 week loosing streak now. I went to practice, first game break and run. Then 5 more games I play amazing.
Then my first League match I barely win and lose the next 3 games. What's really bad is the players I lost to are not very good. I just kept falling apart. I don't get why I can't seem to play consistent.
I play great for about 2 months then bad for a month or so then great for a few months, then bad again.
Just really frustrated.
When I'm playing good I'm winning local tournaments and all my league games. When I'm in a slump I'm losing most everything.
How do I get rid of the slumps?

Take up One Pocket. Its a very non forgiving game, when you screw up and get beat it will make you so mad that you will want to learn how you do everything you do and that in itself will help your game immensely. You will either sink or swim, that's what it comes down to. Of course you can just pull your hair out and scream, it also helps.
 
Sounds like you have sandbagging down... I kid

I see this happen with myself and others on my team. As others have suggested, I believe some of it can be attributed to the mental side, some to the physical conditioning side, and a lot to your fundamentals. When I've gone in a slump, I usually just try to have as much fun as possible in my next match, play carefree, not careless and it seems to work. Anyways, good luck.
 
What I find for myself, someone who doesn't play often enough. I have the toughest time adjusting to changes from table to table, bar to bar. Whether it's humidity or a different cue ball each time I play. So while I may play good one week, I may struggle the next. As hard as it is. I try to tell myself I just don't play enough to be consistent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
No reason to slump for a month. Talk to yourself. Maybe you need time off. Have someone video your game stroke etc. Take it to your local Pro.
Get a tuneup lesson from time to time. Many top Pros have a go to guy.
 
Have the same slump myself every December and January. I finally discovered last year that the solution was simple. I was gripping the cue too tight and hitting the balls too hard. Particularly on my failed attempt to draw the ball. I made sure I lined up the contact point, let my front two fingers and thumb gently hold the cue and slowed down. Amazing change in my play. Oh, another thing, I changed my thought process. Once you start missing you lose confidence in your ability to pocket balls. I went from thinking "I'm having trouble with this shot all night. where is the cue going if I miss" to knowing I was going to make the shot. If I missed I went through what I had done and what cause the miss. It only takes a rack or two and things snap right back into place and as your confidence grows your play gets better.

Good luck
Bob
 
Last edited:
Thank you to all for the replies. I think most of it is mental. I have a problem of getting mad at myself and dwelling on my mistakes for days and sometimes longer. I'm not the guy that throws a fit at the table. But I will sit and stew on a mistake while my opponent plays.
Usually what I have to do to break a slump is go to a bar and beat some bangers so I remember that I really can play and win. Then I am good to go for a while.
As far as my level. I'm a C player. I break and run a few times a year. However, normally if you make a mistake while playing me and I only have 4 or 5 balls on the table in 8 ball I can normally close out. When playing 9 ball I normally run 4 to 5 balls per turn. I tend to do well capitalizing on my opponents mistakes.
My safety game is just fair.
 
Back
Top