Important News

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are formats that don't require all the players to be present for the start of the tournament. Maybe that would be a better solution.

Like a pre-event day draw, or an allotted time frame to complete matches?

I know we had some 3c events in the latter format years ago around me, but those were much smaller events and as I recall, round robin too.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah that's weird but not really. It sure sounds like they are trying to get one for two..... two paid for one spot ! It happened a lot back in the day when tournaments first started but we got smart ..... lol ..... Also yes sir I'll PM ya everything that happens in next month ! Thanks

I didn't really thing anything as nefarious as the double dip was happening or even considered by the hosts, though I don't know about the refund policy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like a pre-event day draw, or an allotted time frame to complete matches?

I know we had some 3c events in the latter format years ago around me, but those were much smaller events and as I recall, round robin too.
A simple way is to have people play in 8-player single-elimination mini-qualifiers until you run out of people who want to enter qualifiers. Each qualifier is played straight through with minimum waiting. People who get knocked out early can enter a later qualifier. After the qualifiers, the single-elimination main tournament starts. For a two-day tournament, the main is played the second day.

There is no need to show up by the start of the qualifiers, but any byes in the main are given to the first qualified players.

Since it's single elimination, you can make the races longer.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
A simple way is to have people play in 8-player single-elimination mini-qualifiers until you run out of people who want to enter qualifiers. Each qualifier is played straight through with minimum waiting. People who get knocked out early can enter a later qualifier. After the qualifiers, the single-elimination main tournament starts. For a two-day tournament, the main is played the second day.

There is no need to show up by the start of the qualifiers, but any byes in the main are given to the first qualified players.

Since it's single elimination, you can make the races longer.

THis is something like the German Tour events here in Germany, except that the small groups are round-robin, and only the top 4 players in each group will graduate to day 2.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
THis is something like the German Tour events here in Germany, except that the small groups are round-robin, and only the top 4 players in each group will graduate to day 2.
But then there are no buy-backs presumably. Also, do you have to show up for the start of the tournament?

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
But then there are no buy-backs presumably. Also, do you have to show up for the start of the tournament?

Just a single set entry fee. And you show up for the start time of your allotted group. Some are on Friday night, the rest are Saturday morning/afternoon.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black balled:

If “breaking of the first rack” occurs in unison at 12:00 PM to the second like in Atlantic City with Vincent and Eddie, then what time should the cutoff be for a player to be at the venue with stick in hand?

Consider all of the duties the tournament staff has to accomplish. And consider which of those they might depend on a player being there. Mike Page gave some good examples.

So what’s your timeline look like? Every detail. Go! :)

Well I get up at seven, yeah
And I go to work at nine
I got no time for livin' yes
I'm workin' all the time
It seems to me
I could live my life
A lot better than I think I am
I guess that's why they call me
They call me the working man
They call me the working man
I guess that's what I am
I get home at five o'clock
And I take myself out a nice cold beer
Always seem to be wonderin'
Why there's nothin' goin' down here

:eek::wink:

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a compromise: First, require the entry fee up front. Then forget the roll call, but start all the matches ON TIME, and any player who doesn't show up ON TIME gets replaced by a player on the waiting list. And no refund of the entry fee for any player who's not ON TIME for his match.

This allows an extra hour for players coming from a long distance, as well as the inevitable traffic screwups. With the meager prize money given out to all but the top 3 or 4 players in most of these events, forcing players to arrive the night before and cough up for a hotel is not likely to accomplish anything but deterring attendance.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My timeline Is wake up at 4:30 hit the gym , go riding mountain bikes at 7:30 , lunch at 11:00 then fishing the rest of the day ! If someone wants action I'll come play sum 200$ sets everyday at 6:00 till closing time win or lose I'll do that everyday . I have 200 thousand to last me till June then back to work for 6 months .... I'm your huckleberry but not leaving Florida so tell your floridian buddies let's get it on !!! And I'm 49 years old so no way can I do all that in one day everyday and still play pool at night right ???? Im up for a challenge who else is ..... yall have a wonderful day

Soooo, did you cash everything out and living the dream until funds run out :grin:eek:r do you have a 6 month on 6 month off job?

I would love to spend 6 months playing pool, mountain biking, and fishing...unless of course that other six months was pure hell!

Right out of college my roommate got a job on an oil rig off the louisiana coast- 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, with a 35k a year salary. He thought he had landed the sweetest gig ever, 35k for half a year's work. He thought that until he worked that first two week shift!:wink:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a compromise: First, require the entry fee up front. Then forget the roll call, but start all the matches ON TIME, and any player who doesn't show up ON TIME gets replaced by a player on the waiting list. And no refund of the entry fee for any player who's not ON TIME for his match.

This allows an extra hour for players coming from a long distance, as well as the inevitable traffic screwups. With the meager prize money given out to all but the top 3 or 4 players in most of these events, forcing players to arrive the night before and cough up for a hotel is not likely to accomplish anything but deterring attendance.
And the alternate participants are there to fill the vacated spot, too.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
This allows an extra hour for players coming from a long distance, as well as the inevitable traffic screwups.

If you give them an extra hour, they will just stay in bed an hour longer. :grin-square:

Besides...what grown adult could not get to the venue by eleven o'clock? :shrug: Heck that's almost lunchtime for crying out loud.

Maniac

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you give them an extra hour, they will just stay in bed an hour longer. :grin-square:

Besides...what grown adult could not get to the venue by eleven o'clock? :shrug: Heck that's almost lunchtime for crying out loud.

Maniac
There are many reasons, all of which have a vicarious relationship to the issue:. If one pre-registers, why must the host disqualify him for showing up at a time before the start?

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
There are many reasons, all of which have a vicarious relationship to the issue:. If one pre-registers, why must the host disqualify him for showing up at a time before the start?

Because the tournament director makes the rules, and what he is asking is not unreasonable at all, that's why.

This is only a discussion because we apparently have some very entitled pool players out there.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why 1 hour before the draw? I can understand the reason for the policy for non paid entrants, but it seems to me like if the player has paid his entry fee in full, their spot should be held up until the tournament starts, and if their match is called and they don't show within 5 minutes, they forfeit that match. Are they trying to get 2 entry fees for one spot if a paid entrant fails to show up by 11, so they'll have enough time to collect another entry fee for the same spot? The players who are cutting it close should be responsible enough to call the poolroom to let them know exactly when they'll be there without the requirement to be there 1 hour ahead of time, at least for paid entrants. I'm guessing the reason for the memo is likely a history of past problems in this particular poolroom, with players showing up late and holding up the start of the tournaments.

Wasn't it Mike Dechaine that had a similar grievance with Turning Stone?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the tournament director makes the rules, and what he is asking is not unreasonable at all, that's why.

This is only a discussion because we apparently have some very entitled pool players out there.

There is nothing wrong with not liking a rule that is very different than the norm. It doesn't make him entitled at all. Discussions like this are usually healthy until people start calling people names.

This rule wouldn't bother me in the slightest since I am usually early for everything. I just feel for the guys that now can't play in the tournament that starts at noon because they have to drop their kids off somewhere at 11:00 and will be forfeited. I do believe, however, that it would be nice if every tournament started on time and ended at a reasonable hour.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Set your clock an hour ahead. Then you won't have to worry about being late. Or set the alarm. That might solve your lateness problem. Jk :thumbup:

This is anything but "Important News" JMO

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with not liking a rule that is very different than the norm. It doesn't make him entitled at all. Discussions like this are usually healthy until people start calling people names.

This rule wouldn't bother me in the slightest since I am usually early for everything. I just feel for the guys that now can't play in the tournament that starts at noon because they have to drop their kids off somewhere at 11:00 and will be forfeited. I do believe, however, that it would be nice if every tournament started on time and ended at a reasonable hour.

It would be no different if the tourney started at 1PM but mandatory show-up/player's meeting was at 12PM. Some players are always gonna wanna show up 2 minutes before their match starts (no matter how acceptable the start time is), and this puts pressure on the tournament director who does not know if everyone is gonna show up.

If it were me, I'd be straight up with everyone... "There is a 32/48/64 man limit. The only people with a reserved spot are those who prepay. If you prepay, I expect you to be there for your match 15 minutes prior to start. If you are not, I will immediately resell your spot, no refunds given. I expect all the players who want to play to show some commitment, and not find something better to do an hour before the tournament."

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
both sides

I know nothing about this particular match but I have played in a few of various kinds. I have also helped run a few.

First place, it isn't clear what "registered" means. If it just means that you have expressed an interest in playing is one thing, if you have paid an entry something else. A fully paid entry puts you in the draw. Not there at match time and you forfeit. Same on the loser's side and cry me a river! On the other hand if you are not there at the specified time and not fully paid into the event, first on the waiting list moves up. This should be made plain at registration time.

The one hour thing is hard to guess about. If the event managers are sitting on their rears for that hour it seems a bit much. If they are taking care of things that require the player's names, then the hour makes more sense.

About match time, five minutes late costs you one game, ten minutes late costs you one or two more, fifteen minutes late costs you the spot. These rules were gone over in the players meeting at eleven.

Hu