Info on Self publishing a pool stories book

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Well, I have been waiting on a gentleman who is in the publishing business to publish my book of fun stories from my time on the road. Unfortunatly he isn't in very good health and has decided to shy away from doing any publishing right now. He is a great guy and I wish him all the best. So I would like to look into self publishing. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? The publisher said its a great book and had him laughing out loud and very much wanted to do it and sees a lot of value in it. But had to make a choice along with his dear wife for his best of health. Given the fact that he thought it was worthy and he has a lot of experience with Pool and Billiards publishing I want to give it a try.
Any help and or info that can help me along would be appreciated. I know I can look this up on websites etc but I would rather get info from the horses mouth of someone who has done it before or knows the pitfalls.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have been waiting on a gentleman who is in the publishing business to publish my book of fun stories from my time on the road. Unfortunatly he isn't in very good health and has decided to shy away from doing any publishing right now. He is a great guy and I wish him all the best. So I would like to look into self publishing. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? The publisher said its a great book and had him laughing out loud and very much wanted to do it and sees a lot of value in it. But had to make a choice along with his dear wife for his best of health. Given the fact that he thought it was worthy and he has a lot of experience with Pool and Billiards publishing I want to give it a try.
Any help and or info that can help me along would be appreciated. I know I can look this up on websites etc but I would rather get info from the horses mouth of someone who has done it before or knows the pitfalls.

I'm sure it slipped our mind, but Jay Helfert or Freddie the Beard surly would know. Send them a pm asking for details.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depends what you mean by self publish. Presumably you aren't physically going to print it and bind it..

Simply go to a publisher (small one is ideal) and tell them you have a book and that you will order the first 1,000. That will get their attention.

Flog that batch through your own distribution channels and you are in.

I know a few authors in the UK that have started like this.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Thanks Neil, I am not sure that they self published but I will ask. Thanks again and I hope all is well with you.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Mark -

Give me a call - I can point you towards several sources. I'll PM you my number.

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can help with the ebook or digital version of your book. PM me your info if interested.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I work with a full-service publisher. I'm not a fan of self-publishing. But that's my opinion only.

Gerald Huber self-published, in case you want to go that route.

Freddie <~~~ editor and proofreader

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Thank you guys for your help and input. I am going to take a look at what you guys have suggested. Thanks again.

smenzel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of options for self publishing books. The drawback is that you end up doing a lot of the work yourself, including selling your book. If you opt to go the digital route, you can create the ebook yourself to sell in the various online ebook stores (iTunes, Amazon, etc) and there's very little up front cost other than your time.

The print route is a bit tougher. Either you have to convince someone your book is worth enough to print your first run for you or you can go with one of the on-demand printers such as Blurb or Lulu. The latter is, once again, a lot more work for you and you end up doing all of the promoting but you have complete control over your book.

Q'pla!

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
I have published self published several portfolio books of my photography, and I have found the easiest approach is to simply make use of Amazon's Createspace publishing service. Through Createspace you can publish a paperback book of your manuscript. And through Createspace your book will be assigned an ISBN number that allows your book to be distributable through book stores, distributors and libraries.

After you get your book published through Createspace you can then convert your book into a Kindle ebook through Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing service.

Here are the links to learn more about these services.

https://www.createspace.com/

http://www.amazonkdp.com/

If you have any specific questions send me a private msg.

David "Glamour Dave" Nienow :)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have published self published several portfolio books of my photography, and I have found the easiest approach is to simply make use of Amazon's Createspace publishing service. Through Createspace you can publish a paperback book of your manuscript. And through Createspace your book will be assigned an ISBN number that allows your book to be distributable through book stores, distributors and libraries.

After you get your book published through Createspace you can then convert your book into a Kindle ebook through Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing service.

I agree. Amazon is a pretty good choice. There are a lot of self publishing companies that will charge big with little service. JT

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

try lulu.com

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member

The best advice you could have given.

Beard