Initial team usa squad is named for mosconi cup xxv

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this boot camp crap? Does anyone think Shane or any other top pro needs a coach and weeks of practice to play together? They are the best in the world for heavens sake. They each know what shot to make and can put the cue ball anywhere their teammate asks after potting a ball so why the heck do they need a boot camp?

Simply ridiculous

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this boot camp crap? Does anyone think Shane or any other top pro needs a coach and weeks of practice to play together? They are the best in the world for heavens sake. They each know what shot to make and can put the cue ball anywhere their teammate asks after potting a ball so why the heck do they need a boot camp?

Simply ridiculous

You must not watch pool very often.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I choose to remain cautiously optimistic. I'm not giving up on Team USA. With recent miserable losses for the USA, it's nice to see us trying a new formula with different players. It cannot get much worse.

The past performance For Mike D. has been poor with little exception and SVB has not dominated by any means. Obviously, I'm not in the majority with my opinion, but that's ok. I'm anxious to see what the change might bring. Go USA!

As most know, The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It's about time Team USA did something different. Time will tell.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I choose to remain cautiously optimistic. I'm not giving up on Team USA. With recent miserable losses for the USA, it's nice to see us trying a new formula with different players. It cannot get much worse.

The past performance For Mike D. has been poor with little exception and SVB has not dominated by any means. Obviously, I'm not in the majority with my opinion, but that's ok. I'm anxious to see what the change might bring. Go USA!

As most know, The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It's about time Team USA did something different. Time will tell.

I definitely understand what your saying but there is really not much to go on for Dechaine. He's played in only 2 cups and I feel he has matured personally and on the table since then. I just don't like the idea of handicapping ourselves by leaving off our 2 best players but best of luck to the players selected.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Nick,

Might want to double check that. Mike has played in at least 4 (2011, 2012, 2015, 2016) if my memory serves me right. The stats are somewhere on here but I don't believe he's ever had a winning record or even close in a MC appearance.

I definitely understand what your saying but there is really not much to go on for Dechaine. He's played in only 2 cups and I feel he has matured personally and on the table since then. I just don't like the idea of handicapping ourselves by leaving off our 2 best players but best of luck to the players selected.

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
View attachment 494074

June 12, 2018
INITIAL TEAM USA SQUAD IS NAMED FOR MOSCONI CUP XXV
WITH THE 2018 Mosconi Cup now six months away, the initial group of 14 American players has been announced. The 14 will attend a series of team get-togethers, training camps and tournaments as they work towards victory at the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup which takes place at Alexandra Palace, London this December 4-7.

Of the 14 players named, over half of them have previous Mosconi Cup experience with Corey Deuel at ten appearances being the most seasoned. There are six players in the squad who have yet to taste the fiery atmosphere of the event. The final team of five will be announced at the end of October.

The 14 players are:

1. Corey Deuel (10)
2. Dennis Hatch (5)
3. Skyler Woodward (3)
4. Justin Bergman (3)
5. Oscar Dominquez (2)
6. Billy Thorpe (1)
7. Brandon Shuff (1)
8. Justin Hall (1)
9. Donny Mills
10. Josh Roberts
11. Mitchell Ellerman
12. Chip Compton
13. Chris Robinson
14. Tyler Styer
(Number of previous Mosconi Cup appearances in brackets)

full link http://www.matchroompool.com/news/initial-team-usa-squad-named-mosconi-cup-xxv/
I think Chip Compton should be one of them!!

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much anyone you look up for MC record after the 2007 team is going to be bad. From Mike's 4 MCs, he's got a record of 3-14.

Sky Woodward, who seems to be the poster child for "future of the US Team", has a record of 2-9.

I haven't put together Shane's record, but seeing as how the US hasn't won the Cup in a decade, just figure that it ain't good.

Nick,

Might want to double check that. Mike has played in at least 4 (2011, 2012, 2015, 2016) if my memory serves me right. The stats are somewhere on here but I don't believe he's ever had a winning record or even close in a MC appearance.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick,

Looks like you are right, 4 Cups for MD. Thanks for the info, still think he has grown up a lot since then

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

C'mon-The Mark Wilson years were supposed to be 'different'. It will never be different til we get players equal to the Euros in singles play. Period! Team Schmeam!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty much anyone you look up for MC record after the 2007 team is going to be bad. From Mike's 4 MCs, he's got a record of 3-14.

Sky Woodward, who seems to be the poster child for "future of the US Team", has a record of 2-9.

I haven't put together Shane's record, but seeing as how the US hasn't won the Cup in a decade, just figure that it ain't good.

Yes, 3-14 for Dechaine in singles and doubles matches.

3-10 for Woodward in singles and doubles.

22-33 for Van Boening in singles and doubles.

Here are the records for everyone who has played in the Cup: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=464772

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
C'mon-The Mark Wilson years were supposed to be 'different'. It will never be different til we get players equal to the Euros in singles play. Period! Team Schmeam!!

Coaching, whether it's Johan or Mark Wilson or JJ or Archer, etc., has almost no effect on the outcome of the Mosconi Cup.

When players like SVB or Dechaine or Skyler or Thorpe get down on tough shots, they revert back to their primal skill-set, something that is hard-wired into their brains.

They've been playing their way since they were young boys.
No amount of coaching can change that.

Pro pool in the USA is not a team sport.
It's dog-eat-dog on the pro tour.
USA pros are just not at their best for the Mosconi Cup.
Shane is smart enough to understand the situation and wealthy enough to be his own man.

Coaching MIGHT be able to improve USA's team spirit.
But improving team spirit alone is probably not enough to turn things around.

One last observation: if you've ever seen SVB and Earl together, either on or off the table, you can see their chemistry.

SVB's face lights up, he smiles, he relaxes.
Earl takes the pressure off SVB.
If I were in charge of our MC team, Earl and SVB would be locked on.

Last edited:

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Who else declined?”

Well, SVB for one. In effect, he asked not to be asked. So all the posts wanting SVB are pointless.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitch Ellerman is an interesting choice. He is an amateur player—not a pro like the others. When he was living here in Arizona he was the #2 player in the state (after Scott Frost). He recently moved to Vegas to devote himself more to his game. But Mitch has never played in any forum remotely like the Mosconi Cup, and he has never won a major event. In fact, this past weekend he played in our state-level amateur tour (the Diamond Pool Tour) and was sent to the one-loss side in the first round. He didn’t bother to play his second match, he just defaulted and left for Vegas. Mitch can certainly play but I wonder whether he has the temperament/experience to be in the Cup.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For your information, Mr. Sossei declined the invitation.

Thanks for that information. That's good to know. I thought Jeremy to be a bit under the radar of late, so I incorrectly concluded that it had cost him consideration. Please to have been mistaken on this occasion.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coaching, whether it's Johan or Mark Wilson or JJ or Archer, etc., has almost no effect on the outcome of the Mosconi Cup.

When players like SVB or Dechaine or Skyler or Thorpe get down on tough shots, they revert back to their primal skill-set, something that is hard-wired into their brains.

They've been playing their way since they were young boys.
No amount of coaching can change that.

Pro pool in the USA is not a team sport.
It's dog-eat-dog on the pro tour.
USA pros are just not at their best for the Mosconi Cup.
Shane is smart enough to understand the situation and wealthy enough to be his own man.

Coaching MIGHT be able to improve USA's team spirit.
But improving team spirit alone is probably not enough to turn things around.

One last observation: if you've ever seen SVB and Earl together, either on or off the table, you can see their chemistry.

SVB's face lights up, he smiles, he relaxes.
Earl takes the pressure off SVB.
If I were in charge of our MC team, Earl and SVB would be locked on.

I totally agree with you and think they would make a great doubles team. Maybe at large could give us their records if indeed they have played doubles in the cups.