Silver Member
on a world level those 14 guys absoultely suck

Shane is the last elite Amercian

CANADA could produce a better team

pool is now owned by asia and europe

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People underestimate the joy the Euroholes have in watching a slaughter of the USA.

EEEUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:killingme:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really thought the Mosconi Cup couldn't get any worse from the US's perspective. Boy was I wrong! This is going from a joke to a total joke!

One thing I think I've been right about from the get go is -- the coach has very little to do with the results on the table.

The US just hasn't had the players to compete but never fear -- they are correcting that by possibly including our top amateur players.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As are 5 of the top 10, 13 of the top 20, etc.
To not have SVB, Dechaine, and Morris on that list of 14 is very strange indeed, not to mention Strickland and Archer. Those are 5 of the top 9 US players based on fargo rankings.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To all the people who are concerned that we will not be sending our best team this year, please do not forget that Europe doesn't always send their best players to be on their team either. And they still win. :thumbup:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously winning is not something your considering

Winning, no.

I thought we needed something old, something new, something borrowed,
something blue, and a splash of tommy Kennedy because he’s always a fun guy!

How do we win? Borrow from those syrup sippers?
Mike d.
Alex p
Shane
Bergman
Morra
Rodney as an alternate?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread:

The omission of Shane Van Boening is very disheartening but understandable, not shocking given his decision to opt out of the intended boot camp training.

Similarly, the omission of Mike Dechaine, one of America's three best along with Justin Bergman and Shane Van Boening, is understandable in view of the fact that Mike is semi-retired from competition. Yes, on the occasions that Mike competes he still shows very strong form, but that shouldn't be enough. Finally, Mike has a job now, and he would be highly unlikely to commit to attending the boot camp.

I'd call the inclusion of Hatch on the list as a surprise, given his disgraceful and unprofessional behavior in the last Mosconi Cup when he refused to shake Filler's hand after their match, even after Johann came inside the playing area to try to fix it. Hatch's inclusion on the list forces me to laugh at Johann's statement "We know what we are looking for in a player that represents the United States in the Mosconi Cup; professionalism, maximum commitment and focus, and a good team-spirited mentality." None of this means Hatch, a very fine and skillful player, won't be selected, but it appears that the stated criteria for selection are nonsense of the highest order.

I am delighted to see Josh Roberts' name on the list. Josh is sometimes under the radar, but he's a very good player in the clutch. Donny Mills is probably one of the five best on this list.

I am further pleased to see young dynamos like Tyler Styer and Chris Robinson on the list of those being considered, but find it unlikely that either will show the kind of form in 2018 that will merit serious consideration.

The omission of Jeremy Sossei, owner of two different bronze medals in the Derby City 9-ball event (which typically has a field of 400), and who beat and eliminated Klenti Kaci in the Ocean States Championhship, is disappointing.

If Johann repeats the 2017 mistake of not picking Justin Bergman, Team USA will go to bat without all three of its top players, and Matchroom will certainly not have an event that pits the best of America against the best of Europe. Strangely enough, even then, Matchroom will find a way to make it a great event, because they always do!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
The joke is never ending.

I bet betting odds are way worse for us this year!.

At this point lets take guesses at who is next years coach.

Next year Darren Appleton will be Team USA coach, WHILE playing for the Europeans.

I got a hunch on this one! :wink:

how many points do we garner if he dumps his matches

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He made a post basically saying he couldn’t dedicate the time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

To the boot camp,not to pool.

If you give him more chances he WILL come up big.He is a beast and it will be great when he unleashes the fury and beats whatever has been getting him flustered before.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Bet on the USA for the Mosconi cup? Can't do it. I'm saving up to bet on the Cleveland Browns as the winner of the next superbowl. ;)

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

The omission of Shane Van Boening is very disheartening but understandable, not shocking given his decision to opt out of the intended boot camp training.

Similarly, the omission of Mike Dechaine, one of America's three best along with Justin Bergman and Shane Van Boening, is understandable in view of the fact that Mike is semi-retired from competition. Yes, on the occasions that Mike competes he still shows very strong form, but that shouldn't be enough. Finally, Mike has a job now, and he would be highly unlikely to commit to attending the boot camp.

I'd call the inclusion of Hatch on the list as a surprise, given his disgraceful and unprofessional behavior in the last Mosconi Cup when he refused to shake Filler's hand after their match, even after Johann came inside the playing area to try to fix it. Hatch's inclusion on the list forces me to laugh at Johann's statement "We know what we are looking for in a player that represents the United States in the Mosconi Cup; professionalism, maximum commitment and focus, and a good team-spirited mentality." None of this means Hatch, a very fine and skillful player, won't be selected, but it appears that the stated criteria for selection are nonsense of the highest order.

I am delighted to see Josh Roberts' name on the list. Josh is sometimes under the radar, but he's a very good player in the clutch. Donny Mills is probably one of the five best on this list.

I am further pleased to see young dynamos like Tyler Styer and Chris Robinson on the list of those being considered, but find it unlikely that either will show the kind of form in 2018 that will merit serious consideration.

The omission of Jeremy Sossei, owner of two different bronze medals in the Derby City 9-ball event (which typically has a field of 400), and who beat and eliminated Klenti Kaci in the Ocean States Championhship, is disappointing.

If Johann repeats the 2017 mistake of not picking Justin Bergman, Team USA will go to bat without all three of its top players, and Matchroom will certainly not have an event that pits the best of America against the best of Europe. Strangely enough, even then, Matchroom will find a way to make it a great event, because they always do!

Then I’ll move my post over here too. Wait to what happens next.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm disappointed with the selection as well as the process. I think it's extremely unreasonable for the coaches to expect 14 players to spend weeks and pay out of pocket expenses auditioning for 5 spots, particularly when some of them are heavy long shots.

It's not like these players have many opportunities to earn that kind of money in a tournament.

MatchroomPool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

For your information, Mr. Sossei declined the invitation.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree about Josh Roberts. Very strong player, and a true gentleman. Everyone here should watch the perfect match he played vs SVB.