inlays by hand??

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Depends how old...
ALWAYS, round dot inlays were done with an appropriately sized drill bit. If you have a CNC you might be inclined to interpolate the circle, but I think this is way overkill....

When I did more complicated inlays in my guitars, I cut the inlay (usually pearl) by hand, with a jeweler's saw. Then I put paint on the area of the inlay, and scribe the outline in the wood where I want to place the inlay.

Then I used a dremel with a router attachment and rout out as much as possible, cleaning up the sharp corners with an x-acto knife. (a lot of test fitting as well)

Then I would set the inlay with West System and sand/file the surface as needed.

When possible, it is always wise to get inlays pre-cut, because the delicate details often break off, necessitating cutting an entire new inlay... If you can get them pre-cut, it saves a lot of time and effort (which equals money).

Now, on cues, I will continue to use a bit for dots, and get assistance with a CNC mil to do pockets for diamonds. The corners of any sharp inlays still need to be cleaned up by hand...

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 27 years part time and 15 years full time, I made all my inlays, except notched diamonds, one at a time by hand and cut all the pockets with Xacto knives and a Dremel tool and nobody cared. It didn't add an extra dime's worth of value to the cue. Very, very few people willl actually pay extra for something that isn't as perfect as something ellse done with a CNC or a pantograph.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
For 27 years part time and 15 years full time, I made all my inlays, except notched diamonds, one at a time by hand and cut all the pockets with Xacto knives and a Dremel tool and nobody cared. It didn't add an extra dime's worth of value to the cue. Very, very few people willl actually pay extra for something that isn't as perfect as something ellse done with a CNC or a pantograph.

Sounds like solid words of wisdom learned through experience to me.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

A tool is a tool, and the quest for perfection should utilize the best tools available.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
A tool is a tool, and the quest for perfection should utilize the best tools available.

This is the (more or less) exact words of the master die maker out back who wouldn't LET me do the diamonds by hand on the Davis cue.

Basically, if you have the tool to do the best possible job, that is the tool you should use to do the job.

I agree with this; however there is something to be said for one who does all the inlay work by hand, even if it is not perfect. When it is done by hand and is perfect, that is something to talk about!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bebot Bautista and several other cuemakers from the Philippines still do hand inlay work. Remember you usually get what you pay for from cues from over there. So pay more for a Bebot or other better brand from over there or else you might get a fancy inlaid cue that is very poorly built. His representive comes on here as The General.

Last edited:

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
Bebot Bautista and several other cuemakers from the Philippines still do hand inlay work. Remember you usually get what you pay for from cues from over there. So pay more for a Bebot or other better brand from over there or else you might get a fancy inlaid cue that is very poorly built. His representive comes on here as The General.

many thanks for your kind words sir. :eek:

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
You are Welcome!

many thanks. we just do our best with whatever we have available. :smile:
thats the very reason for me asking!
Do You do it out of necessity or is it just the way you like to do it??

Ive seen many cues done on machines but only a few by hand(in my hands)a few more on the net but,not many......

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
thats the very reason for me asking!
Do You do it out of necessity or is it just the way you like to do it??

Ive seen many cues done on machines but only a few by hand(in my hands)a few more on the net but,not many......

primary reason is, our team do it because we have a passionate cuemaker with true skills in cue building, that even without modern equipment, he can produce very high-quality cues. he likes to touch the cues... he listens to them... feel them. every cue we make has a personal touch and that makes our cues special in a way.

in reality, it is very, very hard to do cues by hand. it requires passion, skill, and of course physical endurance. just imagine how Bebot does the centering with the crude equipment available - but our cues are straight and well-balanced. it also takes a longer time in making custom cues. we are not hypocrites and of course we also would want to make our lives easier by having modern equipment - at least for the initial stages of turning wood squares. it is just unfortunate we do not have such resources. but if ever, even with machines available, we will still be making the points and inlays by hand - because it gives the creator a deeper sense of fulfillment which is somehow hard to explain. :)