Installing a ferrule without a tenon

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking about installing a new ferrule without a tenon. Instead of a tenon, I will cut a solid ferrule blank down to 5/16 inch for 3/4 inch, then epoxy this into a 5/16 inch x 3/4 inch hole in the shaft. I’m sure others have done this; just wondering what the results were and what I can expect my results to be. Thanks.

DeeDeeCues

I’m thinking about installing a new ferrule without a tenon. Instead of a tenon, I will cut a solid ferrule blank down to 5/16 inch for 3/4 inch, then epoxy this into a 5/16 inch x 3/4 inch hole in the shaft. I’m sure others have done this; just wondering what the results were and what I can expect my results to be. Thanks.

I'd not be surprised to see the shaft break. Unless you are very meticulous, you will be adding stress risers in the weak, highly stressed part of the shaft.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a doubt the shaft will break…. There was a Cincinnati cue maker who did this … so without a doubt avoid it… I’m not a cue maker but I’ve seen that garbage first hand lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeDeeCues

Without a doubt the shaft will break…. There was a Cincinnati cue maker who did this … so without a doubt avoid it… I’m not a cue maker but I’ve seen that garbage first hand lol

That isn't a fair statement. I have no doubt it can be done successfully, but I believe (without running numbers) that 3/4" is likely not enough depth into the shaft, especially if stress risers are built into the design, or happen during implementation.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That isn't a fair statement. I have no doubt it can be done successfully, but I believe (without running numbers) that 3/4" is likely not enough depth into the shaft, especially if stress risers are built into the design, or happen during implementation.

Put the calculator down lol it doesn’t really …. I mean seriously why live in a world where we learn from others mistakes

DeeDeeCues

Put the calculator down lol it doesn’t really …. I mean seriously why live in a world where we learn from others mistakes

Don't be so ignorant lol. Some learning off other's mistakes is figuring out what they did wrong.

You know Edison want the only dude inventing light bulbs, right? If he and all the others had given up because some dude I'm Cincinnati failed, we'd still be burning whale oil.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
It will work, but keep in mind you create a weak spot where the ferrule meets the wood. You might find the ferrule snaps off right there, depending on what you use for materials, and how you shape the "tenon".

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As alway, AZBilliards members save me time and expense. Just trying to think outside the box; looks like I’ll stay in my lane when replacing tenons and ferrules. Thanks again guys.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The concept of a ferrule, is to add hoop strength to the end of the wood shaft. Some still use just a thin wall brass or Al sleeve, like on a traditional snooker cue. The idea of a hole and then the ferrule turned down and glued is not not new at all. I have had to repair cues that split due to that ferrule concept.

JC

Coos Cues
The concept of a ferrule, is to add hoop strength to the end of the wood shaft. Some still use just a thin wall brass or Al sleeve, like on a traditional snooker cue. The idea of a hole and then the ferrule turned down and glued is not not new at all. I have had to repair cues that split due to that ferrule concept.
I have seen a few shafts that split from having a wooden tenon installed in them to replace a broken ferule tenon.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
don't listen to the nay sayers .................it won't break and it won't weaken the shaft........... it will work just fine...
... it will probably be a softer hit

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have seen a few shafts that split from having a wooden tenon installed in them to replace a broken ferule tenon.
naaaaa........... I have drilled and installed dozens of replacement tenons in shafts........... NEVER HAD A FAILURE...................... if anything it is stronger.......................

JC

Coos Cues
naaaaa........... I have drilled and installed dozens of replacement tenons in shafts........... NEVER HAD A FAILURE...................... if anything it is stronger......................

I would be interested to understand how this repair could make the shaft stronger.

The thinner the shaft up at the ferule the weaker this type of repair will be.

The best way to address this if the customer will have it is with a longer ferule that you can cut stepped to cradle the end grain of the broken shaft a bit. 1/8" is enough to reinforce the grain from splitting. The word I have gotten is the failures tend to happen on a hard draw shot. Some people probably never shoot hard enough to matter.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I would be interested to understand how this repair could make the shaft stronger.

The thinner the shaft up at the ferule the weaker this type of repair will be.

The best way to address this if the customer will have it is with a longer ferule that you can cut stepped to cradle the end grain of the broken shaft a bit. 1/8" is enough to reinforce the grain from splitting. The word I have gotten is the failures tend to happen on a hard draw shot. Some people probably never shoot hard enough to matter.
the shaft is stronger because it is now epoxied around the inserted tenon.............. it will never split if done right and good epoxy is properly applied

JC

Coos Cues
the shaft is stronger because it is now epoxied around the inserted tenon.............. it will never split if done right and good epoxy is properly applied
I will accept that if care is taken the joint will be usually be strong enough to give trouble free service for many years.

There is no way on earth however that it's stronger than it was back when it had it's own wood as a tenon coming out of the center. I am not an engineer but I'm pretty certain of this based on what I know about wood and glue.

It's a moot point though because at the point the tenon is gone there are few options.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just ferrule less...because if I understand right what you described it is not a ferrule but an insert under the tip...so you're looking for more deflection or what?
Even thinking out of the box you have certain goal to achieve...so what was yours behind this idea?)

DeeDeeCues

I will accept that if care is taken the joint will be usually be strong enough to give trouble free service for many years.

There is no way on earth however that it's stronger than it was back when it had it's own wood as a tenon coming out of the center. I am not an engineer but I'm pretty certain of this based on what I know about wood and glue.

It's a moot point though because at the point the tenon is gone there are few options.

There absolutely is, in theory, the possibility of the shaft being stronger. If the glue bond is stronger (and it usually is) than the wood, and the glue bond is complete, this will be stronger than the original wood.

In practice, it is likely that the glue joint isn't perfect and that stress risers exist.

I am an engineer and this tracks based on my knowledge of woodworking and engineering.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
so shaft blanks are normally 30 inches........ if a customer wants a 31 inch shaft.......... I finish the shaft and drill in about a inch or an inch and a half with a 5/16 drill............. I turn a tenon out of a scrap maple shaft and epoxy in the new tenon and leave an inch out for the ferrule............ it certainly is stronger than the original shaft and I have done many of these and some players break with them and never a failure

Kim