Introducing a new kid to the game - Cue suggestion

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Going to be introducing a teen grandchild to the game. Will be playing on an 8'x4' Olhausen table in my home. I have available a Predator Roadline with 12.4 Revo White Vault shaft and a Lucasi Custom with a 12.75 low deflection shaft. Both are 19 ounces. Not looking for my post to start a carbon fiber vs maple shaft war but which would be best for a new player beginning the game, and why?
Either one would be fine for any player.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does not matter what anyone starts with, the main part is not swapping around. There is no need to start with an LD shaft or a standard shaft, once you learn to play with either it's all the same, just need to stick with that type of shaft.

If you start learning with an LD shaft, you will naturally aim closer to the normal aiming line with side spin, if you start with a standard shaft you will do the same but will need to learn to adjust for the spin deflection. Either is just as good as the other, with the catch that what is uses should match how the player actually aims or how they like to aim. A player shooting with an old shaft that deflects a ton does not automatically play worse than someone using an LD shaft, as long as they know how to play with the shaft they are using.

A well-rounded pool education needs to have knowledge of how all types of cues and shafts react to the hit and the differences between them and how to adjust for them. Knowing how the cue construction affects the hit and balance, how the shaft and tip affect the shot and feel, etc... What the player starts with does not matter at all.

In my opinion, new players will learn a lot faster with an LD shaft than a normal one, the shot line will be straighter for all types of shots, and especially with the Revo that is forgiving on slight off center hits. Just keep in mind the above sentence that they still need to know why the shaft does what it does and how other shafts would affect aiming.
I agree with this. Less deflection = less missed balls from accidental english. The revo is lower deflection than the Lucasi, so should be helpful to a beginner learning the basics.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool make brain work as every time you break a rack it different.

Use to play Wolfenstein Castle, on my Mac, memorizing the game was easy, and it got boring fast.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going to be introducing a teen grandchild to the game. Will be playing on an 8'x4' Olhausen table in my home. I have available a Predator Roadline with 12.4 Revo White Vault shaft and a Lucasi Custom with a 12.75 low deflection shaft. Both are 19 ounces. Not looking for my post to start a carbon fiber vs maple shaft war but which would be best for a new player beginning the game, and why?
I think either will be fine. Why not let them try both?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best answer is which would you choose if you could only play one.
A new player hasn’t any way of knowing what feels the best because
they haven’t hit enuf balls or tried enuf different cues to differentiate feel.

Personally, CF seems to be the future of shafts so I’d steer him towards
that presuming once again it would be what you’d have selected. But
do not let him choose on the looks since his taste will change. Try to
match him with the best shaft, not the prettiest. You need to choose for him.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
You need to choose for him.
Absolutely not! Do you want your grandkids to take ownership over their development or begrudgingly listen to gramps as they inwardly roll their eyes.

The stick he/she uses is not important outside of creating confidence. What’s most important is how you plan to nurture their development; they can bang balls with any stick you force upon them... or they can perform focused practice rooted in fundamentals you establish.

Are you going to teach the next generation how to play this game or are you going to worry about how a pool stick looks when the kids lining up a shot? I trust you’ll get it right grandpa.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said anything about teaching but merely gifting the cue.
Thereafter, it becomes the player’s task & challenge to improve.

And know what? The kid would be thrilled to get either cue too.
I also mentioned which one I’d pick and why. Obladi Oblada....

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pennies have long been spent as I already have this equipment. I am old and he is young and the cues will all be his. If carbon fiber is the thing of the future, and I'm not saying it is, would it be better to initially learn to play with it instead of learning with wood only to relearn with carbon fiber at a later date?
Since the cues will be his anyway, let him test drive them both. Teach him proper cue care/maintenance. Personally, I would give him a house cue, and see if his interest in the game is self sustaining. ;)
Good luck.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the other members that stated to not be concerned about all the nuances of a cues performance. I'd recommend to get two or more cues on the wall for him and his friends. In all likelihood he will play more if his buds are interested too. See where it goes and if he is interested on his own then step in when he shows some real interest..

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool make brain work as every time you break a rack it different.

Use to play Wolfenstein Castle, on my Mac, memorizing the game was easy, and it got boring fast.
You should play more pool. Definitely better than Wolfenstein Castle.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I would let him try both and ask which he prefers. If it is a gift and doesnt matter to you there is more sentiment when some chooses their own equipment.

You also mentioned he is playing at your place. Do you plan to let him take the cue with him ? If not just say something like he can use any of the equipment he likes and later if he picks up the game maybe you help him buy a cue instead ? The research, the reviews checking out cues could all be a shared experience which is what it sounds lile you are looking for as well. Maybe it is a birthday or Christmas present outing to get him equipment.

JC

Coos Cues
My mind is boggled by this thread. Introducing a kid to pool? Do any of you recall how much you loved the colors of the balls and the beauty of actually shooting one into a pocket? We were lucky if the warped clubs we had even had decent tips on them.

Either the kid will find the game enchanting or not. Nothing about the cue will matter at first.

WTF kind of a first world problem are you people really talking about? Like it's a serious matter or something. LD, CF, Maple? Listen to yourselves for crying out loud.

Give me a break this has gone on far enough unchecked. Stop already this is ridiculous.

Pfs896

My grandkids started with the 1 piece dufferin house cues...one was a short cue. When they showed interest and respect for the equipment I let them play with the entry level cuetec( doesn't warp and plays well). The 13 y/o got his own cuetec and case. He is pretty proud of it. The other grandkids are upping their game. Grandpa is proud too!

Reactions: JC

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Murray, 1st off, you anywhere near Vegas? If so, let me know if you would like to get your grandson and my son together for some light practice/suggestions.

As far as cue goes, I'm assuming he has played "some" in the past? I would steer him towards the CF shaft as most especially at younger age will eventually go that route at some point, no reason for them to learn to re-adjust.

Awesome grandfather you are, this is something he will remember through his lifetime.....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pennies have long been spent as I already have this equipment. I am old and he is young and the cues will all be his. If carbon fiber is the thing of the future, and I'm not saying it is, would it be better to initially learn to play with it instead of learning with wood only to relearn with carbon fiber at a later date?
I think it would be better to start with carbon fiber for the lower maintenance. Easier to keep clean and no dings. (I also think it's better to start with low deflection but both choices are LD.)