Introducing Cohen Cues

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only the test of time will attest to Mr. Cohen's success.....looks aren't enough when it comes to pool cues.
So far he's definitely on a lot of people's radar screens and understandably so I might add. How well the
cue plays and feels in general is the most important criterion. If the cue rates well, then the question really
becomes "Does it play as good or better than similar priced cues cues from other cue-makers?".

I'm looking forward to hearing more about how well his cues play. I've debated with myself about sending him
money for the MOP cue I've admired so much but here's the problem. Unless you previously played with a cue
from a specific cue-maker, it's a leap of faith to drop a couple of grand on a cue from a cue-maker that does
not have an extensive history in cue-making. That's why shows like SBE are so significant because it helps
to elevate their status when peer cue-makers offer compliments about their cues. I look forward to hearing
more about Cohen Cues in the future and if I'm lucky, I'll get to maybe even try playing with one of Eddie's
cues. I also think the originality of using Hebrew for his signature is artfully inspirational.

Matt B.

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your concern about playability is the only thing holding you back, why not contact the cue maker and see if you can drive up to meet him to try out a few of his cues? Looks like he's about a 4 hour drive from you (if you are serious.)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Only the test of time will attest to Mr. Cohen's success.....looks aren't enough when it comes to pool cues.
So far he's definitely on a lot of people's radar screens and understandably so I might add. How well the
cue plays and feels in general is the most important criterion. If the cue rates well, then the question really
becomes "Does it play as good or better than similar priced cues cues from other cue-makers

Matt B.

Not to blow a torpedo hole in the side of your boat, but this playability thing you talk about, is like measure many things there is no tool, or instrument to take an exact. But it is something you like or hate because how it feel to you.

IMHO playability, feel, or what ever you want to call what you personally like, is like say this is a great wine. It is a great wine to you!

I do not care how much the bottle of wine cost, taste great to ms is I personally like the taste of the wine. Not what some wine experts says.

Remember many years ago stopping at a Winery just below Gilroy, CA. Hit the Tasting Room, listened to about 10 minute of BS about their Cabernet Sauvignon, after tasting a few whites, and lesser reds. Finally got to taste the "best" the winery put out in their Cabernet Sauvignon, and this Cabernet Sauvignon had some many Gold Medals.

The guys said how was it. I replied too "woody" for me. The snob made a face at me like I called the Queen of England a Harlot.

My girlfriend at the time, & I went down the road, with nothing from that winery, as we found nothing that taste good to us.

When we got back to LA we unloaded many was it 6 or 8 cases of wines we did like, from out trip all over Northern California. Many bottle were not as expensive of the Cabernet Sauvignon from Gilroy, but we did have about a case of other wineries Cabernet Sauvignon that did taste good to us.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
He's building me knockout and I can't wait to give you guys feedback. :smile: :smile:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These cues deserve to be seen again
several of them are just my favorite style

It would be nice to see some that you guys bought from Eddie posted with comments

If these are near this good looking in person as they look here and play as good as I hear

then we are looking at the beginning of a legend

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also rate the wine on its taste and not by what others say.

But before I drop $500 on a bottle of vino, I usually find out what others have to say about that wine & year, and so I acquire some knowledge.
Well, same goes for pool cues.....when you hear reviews by cue owners attesting to their satisfaction and why, that's knowledge which is helpful.

I've ordered expensive cues based upon the reputation of the cue-maker and also because of how these cues have been described by their cue owners
to play really well. And when the review is insightful, it not only increases my interest in the cue-maker but raises my confidence in ordering one of these cues.

When you don't hear comments about how well a cue plays, or see many photos, or the cue-maker's track record is short-lived and their no historical information
to consult, then you take a chance and for a couple of grand, you had better be right. And so far, I've never been wrong so my approach is working splendidly for me.

Best advice so far was to try connecting with Eddie to find out firsthand how his cues play. That actually has merit and I could take my other cues along and make
a side by side comparison. And if I let him know my cue weight preference, he might have a cue that comes close....I'm going have to give that serious thought.

Matt B.

p.s. Dean, the new cue from Bob arrived Friday and I don't want to put it down. It's now the best hitting cue in my collection and that says a lot.
My Scruggs had been #1 until this cue arrived. I am looking forward to letting Bob know how well he made the balance on my cue.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Not to blow a torpedo hole in the side of your boat, but this playability thing you talk about, is like measure many things there is no tool, or instrument to take an exact. But it is something you like or hate because how it feel to you.

Sorry to re-patch that hole Coco but a great hitting/playing cue will be a great hitting/playing cue to anyone who really KNOWS what a great hitting/playing cue is supposed to feel like... Take for example an average Gus cue. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if you gave that cue to the top 10 players in the world they would all say the cue hit's/plays great...That's not saying they would prefer to play with that cue over what they play with now, it just says the cue feels good in the hands as it strikes the cue ball... Other factors such as cue length, weight, balance point, tip hardness, ferrule material, shaft diameter and taper, butt diameter and taper, wrap material, etc... Now THOSE specifications are what makes a persons desirability to play with that cue a necessity.. That's what a great hitting/playing custom cue makers job is, to obtain enough info out of the customer so they can incorporate those personal touches that will make that player "feel" comfortable with their great playing cue...

A great hitting/playing cue is ALWAYS a great hitting/playing cue

Oh yeah... Nice Cues Eddie!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey skins....you operate a great boat yard......thanks for the service......your hull work helps keep the boat afloat.

One either understands the how & whys of any pool cue having a different feel/hit than others or else one simply doesn't.
The uniformed will surely convert as they gain experience & knowledge about pool cues but until such time, preaching is futile.

Matt B.

Nineballjerry2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love your style!your fit and finish appears top notch! The design style is dead on for my taste.love your work! Hope to see more of it.you have a great background with top level instructors something others would kill for.
Great job! Jerry2

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your primary thought of playability. Your work seems very crisp. I am most impressed. Congratulations! I wish you great success.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Eddie Cohen is going to be a sought after cuemaker for many years, as evidenced by the batch of cues at the High End Cues booth at the Hopkins show.

Eddie, I liked every single cue you had at the show. They hit wonderfully, and have great style with crisp inlay work.

Your cue caps really set them off, raise them to an even higher level.

I look forward to the ones next time I see you.
Welcome to the stratosphere of cue making!

Will Prout

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Eddie Cohen

I knew Eddie long before he started making cues. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He is very humble and just a pleasure to be around. His workmanship speaks for itself. I recommend him highly.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known Eddie for a while and ran into him at Hart Times when I played on the tour. I really wanted to hit some balls with his cues but we never got the chance due to the tournament. Can anyone compare the hit of his cues to a South West WITHOUT BIAS?

Heard enough good things about his cues here I'm starting to get curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I've known Eddie for a while and ran into him at Hart Times when I played on the tour. I really wanted to hit some balls with his cues but we never got the chance due to the tournament. Can anyone compare the hit of his cues to a South West WITHOUT BIAS?

Heard enough good things about his cues here I'm starting to get curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i briefly owned his cue, and although I never hit with a southwest I can easily say his cue hits better or as good than anything I've hit with, which includes cues such as scruggs, pfd studios, an actual balabushka courtesy of tascarella jr, searing, black, webb, and on and on. and I ended up using an OB classic instead of his actual shaft, but his shaft has a better ping and feel to it. I had to get rid of the cue for personal reasons but I know you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: