Is $169 a bad price for a CF shaft

• Yes, too cheap

• Yes, too expensive

• No, great price

Results are only viewable after voting.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think that's a fair price. I've been askin' $150 ea for my pair, LD wood 12.75 5/16 14 pin. I think in a pool room where they will knock it down to 150, it's a win/win.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Your profit appears pretty marginal. One thing, I have heard there is a pretty high cull rate on those cheap blanks. Cull 20-30% of them and have some come back due to missing one that should have been culled now and then and your profit disappears. Looking at assembly, handling and such I don't think you can turn a reasonable profit at $169 or even break even. It is an awkward price point for sales too. Might as well make it $189 or $199, sales would be almost exactly the same, net would jump a lot.

I do like carbon fiber and would buy one or two shafts under $200 if the taper profile suited me. The five and six hundred dollar shafts strike me as ridiculously overpriced. On the other hand, wooden shafts that were ridiculously underpriced a few decades ago are riding the price increases of shafts overall and are getting fair market value or above in many instances now. No more fifty dollar shafts for the most part. No doubt somebody in a backyard will make them for that, nobody making a living from cue building is likely to without there being a special reason to.

I would buy one more carbon fiber shaft that suited me for up to $300. Price wouldn't influence my decision to buy or not buy below that. Six and seven hundred dollar shafts seem a bit over the top to me. R&D to get back for some entities but I don't think that took long for most. My price points I have now are based on being a hobby player. Back when I gambled nightly if others accepted the shaft as not marking me I would pay for the one that suited me best, cost not an issue. Racing cars I paid a lot of money for a tenth of a second sometimes. Same with competition guns, price wasn't the major factor. I did gamble nightly for ten years playing off the wall with a hinged cue or three laying around the house. I gave away over a dozen cues in the seventies and eighties, some valuable cues. I didn't want to be marked as a serious player although it was unavoidable over time.

That does raise the question, does your market for a $169 shaft feel the need for one? Internet research is a chancy thing at best. Open up a chance for preorders with a small deposit and guarantee full refunds if you don't make it to market within a year. See how many are willing to plunk down a thirty or forty dollar deposit once you reveal the profile of the shafts. Money talks and BS walks, and sometimes as many as 90% of would be buyers are just tire kickers when it comes time to put down cash.

Good luck if you decide to take this past the daydreaming stage. I would go with not less than 35% mark-up after material and labor. That seems generous but can disappear in a hurry!

Hu
I'm not buying "those cheap blanks", but I hear you.

I have already put some of these in the hands of players and on the street. Great feedback but now I need to decide if I want to even bother.

Profit is fairly marginal, but I'm not looking to make a career out of this, I'm just tired of the robbery in the industry, and hope to offer a solid value of people want this technology in hand.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
At that stated price i would imagine you're only going to see major pin types. Maybe not. MWCT offers just about any pin so i guess its possible. Cog, iirc, uses a pretty strange pin size. 7/16x11 or something like that.
Full machining center with live tooling, threading is changed with a button. Sure a small upcharge for custom options to cover time and special handling, but it's no more than a few minutes difference

phreaticus

There are CF shafts in the $250 range now, and new entrants appearing in the market. I know of several smaller cue makers that have been making & selling their own CF shafts for a while now. Copying same design/features, access to same/similar materials & managing 3rd party (usually low cost, overseas) CAD/machine shop services is not a new thing. I think by the time you work up a true BOM/COGS manufacturing cost model to bring a product to market with a variety of shaft threads options at a comparable quality/performance/finish/warranty/service package, you’ll not be wanting to do it for anywhere near your current target retail price, and/or you won’t be able to sustain/scale a legally compliant biz past a one time sample run that will burn up all your energy/time trying. True COGS includes mundane things like yield, packaging, import duty/taxes, marketing, inventory/return/service overheads, etc.

I hope I’m wrong & wish you luck!

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about also offering pin sizes that other larger brands refuse to? I’d love a CF for my Cog but have a hard time justifying having it cored and tapped for an additional $150. Although at your price point it would definitely take some of that sting away. I’m interested.
Hi Kevin, If your interested I have a set of four Cog joint protectors made by Alvin. Nothing fancy ebony and birds eye maple with 1-2-3 on the shaft protectors and Cog on the butt protector. Hope things are good for you on the cold and snowy northside!!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
price of these things will come down drastically in the future. but as of now

what sells is the name brand.
then price
then quality and
then how well it works.

all that will breed recognition and then you are on the road.

so basically if you can market it well and it is priced well which it is now, and it works well it will sell like hotcakes.
that will take time. you do have to advertise somewhat to speed it up before its outdated.
one way is the first 50 or so only sell to good players that will post their results here on this site. that will sink you or spark you upwards.
good luck. but good business people dont need luck.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
compare it to graphite fishing rods. when they were new all were terribly expensive .
now the great name brands are still expensive but the average ones sell for 20% of what they used to.

pool cue shafts will follow this as well as most products that are unique.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a CF shaft and I know they are over priced but still label me a skeptic at that price. BUT, the cheapskate in me says BUY! BUY! BUY!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didnt know Felt made their frames in the USA
Ok, fine. I ride a 2013 bike!

Lol. I think I read felt was just bought by a euro company within the last month or so...and I am sure the majority of its bikes do come from Taiwan.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not buying "those cheap blanks", but I hear you.

I have already put some of these in the hands of players and on the street. Great feedback but now I need to decide if I want to even bother.

Profit is fairly marginal, but I'm not looking to make a career out of this, I'm just tired of the robbery in the industry, and hope to offer a solid value of people want this technology in hand.

Apologies for the seeming slap. I wasn't talking about the really cheap blanks that from manufacture to finished product have a far higher cull rate than I mentioned from rumors or second hand information to be more accurate. Even the best blanks available bulk are cheap compared to what the price of a finished shaft is from most people. I won't mention costs here but I looked into this roughly a year ago. I think that the carbon fiber shafts will be here from now on, I am more interested in butt designs to fit with a dark shaft instead of a light colored one. A few more further off the wall ideas too. None I am likely to pursue.

Hu

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Apologies for the seeming slap. I wasn't talking about the really cheap blanks that from manufacture to finished product have a far higher cull rate than I mentioned from rumors or second hand information to be more accurate. Even the best blanks available bulk are cheap compared to what the price of a finished shaft is from most people. I won't mention costs here but I looked into this roughly a year ago. I think that the carbon fiber shafts will be here from now on, I am more interested in butt designs to fit with a dark shaft instead of a light colored one. A few more further off the wall ideas too. None I am likely to pursue.

Hu
The point I am making is that these blanks are made on the same equipment, with the same composition, as "those expensive shafts"

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, fine. I ride a 2013 bike!

Lol. I think I read felt was just bought by a euro company within the last month or so...and I am sure the majority of its bikes do come from Taiwan.
I bought my Stainless Steel frame from Taiwan. Electric shifting is da bomb

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will your customer service be better than Meucci's? :ROFLMAO:

But seriously........ it's a good price, but trying to convince the pool playing public that it is just as good as the cues sold by the major companies, could be difficult. I'm sure you would sell some, but it might be a tough row to hoe.

xX-Wizard-Xx

Will your customer service be better than Meucci's? :ROFLMAO:

But seriously........ it's a good price, but trying to convince the pool playing public that it is just as good as the cues sold by the major companies, could be difficult. I'm sure you would sell some, but it might be a tough row to hoe.
it wouldnt take much effort to be better than meucci.