Is $169 a bad price for a CF shaft

• Yes, too cheap

• Yes, too expensive

• No, great price

Results are only viewable after voting.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess its not much different than the old brazed lugged steel days. One of those could(and some did) come apart at lets just say 'inopportune' times. I guess CF manuf. has gotten so good that its hard to find find a bad frame. Any idea how these are tested at factory? Xray or sonic scans? Curious.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you could do some pre orders. Say $20 holds you a spot and see what that generates for market buzz. I am down with that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The point I am making is that these blanks are made on the same equipment, with the same composition, as "those expensive shafts"

I understand. However, we both know that when purchased in the bulk that the big buyers are purchasing the cost of the blanks has very little to do with the cost of the finished product, your acknowledged reason for wanting to put a shaft out there that you feel is more reasonably priced.

Hu

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I still have trouble reconciling pricing of a pool shaft with the reality of what is out there currently...
View attachment 627743
As a fellow cyclist, I'd be very careful about trusting my life to something like this. Fork snaps on a steep descent and you're done for. Carbon cue snaps, it's no big deal. This things snaps, and the next thing snapping might be your neck. Yes, even expensive brands have their stuff made in China now, maybe even in the same factory. But then again, some unbranded thing, might not be inspected quite so thoroughly. The people making it are just cranking out a huge number in a short time and may not even exist as a company when it the frames start failing.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am in for one.

I tired a becue shaft recently. I was extremely impressed. My favorite shaft so far of cf. Very solid hit and more natural sound.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If I put a $169 shaft on the market, would this actually be purchased? Or would pool players think the price is too cheap and avoid them? Purely as a marketing/economics exercise.

Nice layered tip, short ferrule or ferruleless, LD front end design. Variety of pin options or replaceable inserts.

Same CF blanks as one of the most widely-used in the world.

If you post anything about your opinions of CF or that you will never use one, congratulations, you have the reading comprehension of a toddler. Please save the electricity and go play outside
At that price I'd buy one just for messing around with. I'd like to research certain aspects of CF shaft performance (I'm not planning to actually switch to CF). If you put it out there, I'll buy one.

tomatoshooter

I heard somewhere that materials cost is 5% of retail price. I'm not sure how much that allows for labor, lower middle management, middle management, upper middle management, and CEO's third vacation home. It seems like when I learn about all the hidden layers of expenses, many of which are legit, I'm not surprised at prices. That said, pool cue prices are ridiculous. Part is the small market. I think composite tennis racquets range from less than $100 up to $300. A tennis racquet seems a bit more difficult to produce than a stick but selling a lot amortizes a lot of costs.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If I put a $169 shaft on the market, would this actually be purchased? Or would pool players think the price is too cheap and avoid them? Purely as a marketing/economics exercise.

Nice layered tip, short ferrule or ferruleless, LD front end design. Variety of pin options or replaceable inserts.

Same CF blanks as one of the most widely-used in the world.

If you post anything about your opinions of CF or that you will never use one, congratulations, you have the reading comprehension of a toddler. Please save the electricity and go play outside
Sorry, didn't answer...was outside playing HORSE with the neighbor kid. ;)

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You can pay $400 or $40 for a wood shaft...do you think they are the same?

Just because it has some carbon fiber in it doesn't make it the same as every other CF shaft. Different CF content, different manufacturer ingredients methods, different resins, different tolerances, different CF grades...and on and on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I'd start at $249 and go from there. Maybe have a 2 for $449 option too. Don't sell yourself short.
And advertise through the APA events. These folks are your target market

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a fellow cyclist, I'd be very careful about trusting my life to something like this. Fork snaps on a steep descent and you're done for. Carbon cue snaps, it's no big deal. This things snaps, and the next thing snapping might be your neck. Yes, even expensive brands have their stuff made in China now, maybe even in the same factory. But then again, some unbranded thing, might not be inspected quite so thoroughly. The people making it are just cranking out a huge number in a short time and may not even exist as a company when it the frames start failing.
Plus if you buy a name-brand frame you have legal recourse. Good luck finding Mr. Hung Wei Lo(day job is a 'art film' actor) over in Wuhan. ;)

dendweller

I'd buy one, maybe two if I liked the first. Also be willing to do the deposit. I am also interested in the weight.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much for a 31" shaft, and can you make it with a B-Lock joint (Becue)?

Last edited: