Is playing in a league really worth it?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a summer league last year.
I was the best player in the league.
I wanted to end the session as number 1.
To do that I could not afford to miss any nights to keep my point total up.
I played a number of nights not feeling good just to keep my points up.
I finished as top player.
Did I get a trophy? No.
Did I get a pin? No
I got a lousy $20.
Not going to do that again.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the same reason Donald Trump is President.
People are stupid.

Trump took advantage of the system we use to elect presidents. People are not stupid, but maybe you answered the question unknowingly. Maybe APA treats people like people and your league treats them like they're stupid. I see it all the time from APA bashers - if you can't play pool well you're somehow an inferior person. That gets old quick, and maybe people are smart enough to see that.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a simple question. I don't have time to try to hunt down your bylaws.

Chris had done plenty for the sport. All while calling balls and not marking pockets with a silly knick knack.

APA is an activity, while BCA is a serious competition. Both involve pool but only one involves pool players.

The same way Chris replied. If more people like the other product, it must be silly and they must be stupid. You don't need to hunt down my bylaws, you don't need to know my revenue. It's there for anyone who really needs to know, but those who just want to use the fact that I make money to bash APA don't really need to know.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trump took advantage of the system we use to elect presidents. People are not stupid, but maybe you answered the question unknowingly. Maybe APA treats people like people and your league treats them like they're stupid. I see it all the time from APA bashers - if you can't play pool well you're somehow an inferior person. That gets old quick, and maybe people are smart enough to see that.

You know what gets old quick? When an organization offers a vastly inferior product for a considerably higher cost.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow.

Or it could be a large enough majority got tired of snobby elitist thinking they were smarter than them? Hmmmm.

Good Lord it's like a bunch of high school girl drama.

Let's let the APA masters division singles world champion play the BCA singles world champion.

No shaking hands.

No smiling photo ops.

They must HATE each other.

They will play until one of them admits that their league is inferior.

Let's get ready to Rumble.

Who is talking about APA Masters? No one. In fact most people that play APA Masters in Vegas also compete in the BCAPL Vegas event.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that's worse than the time I went to the horse track and bet $5 on a horse to show. He did and I got $5.25 back.

Did I get a trophy? No.
Did I get a pin? No
I got a lousy $20.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I get a trophy? No.
Did I get a pin? No
I got a lousy $20.

Typical for APA players

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what gets old quick? When an organization offers a vastly inferior product for a considerably higher cost.

"Inferior" and "higher cost", yet it keeps growing and the so-called "superior" and "lower cost" products can't come close. That's the same as calling consumers stupid.

What is it exactly that you've done for pool? Oh, that's right, "plenty".

JC

Coos Cues
wow.

Or it could be a large enough majority got tired of snobby elitist thinking they were smarter than them? Hmmmm.

Good Lord it's like a bunch of high school girl drama.

Let's let the APA masters division singles world champion play the BCA singles world champion.

No shaking hands.

No smiling photo ops.

They must HATE each other.

They will play until one of them admits that their league is inferior.

Let's get ready to Rumble.

The trouble with that match up is they are probably both the same person.

JC

Coos Cues
The same way Chris replied. If more people like the other product, it must be silly and they must be stupid. You don't need to hunt down my bylaws, you don't need to know my revenue. It's there for anyone who really needs to know, but those who just want to use the fact that I make money to bash APA don't really need to know.

I just wondered how much. If you don't want to come out with it fine.

APA is still a silly league format designed for drinking and LO's to make a buck.

And Chris, get help with your TDS or you are going to be miserable as hell the next five and a half years :)

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wondered how much. If you don't want to come out with it fine.

I came out with it before I ever ran a single league. If you can't be bothered to look it up that's fine. My answer isn't exactly fair, though, because I don't tell people here who I am.

APA is still a silly league format designed for drinking and LO's to make a buck.

You can think it's silly if you want. What's funny is I started the APA franchise here more than 20 years ago because I think the BCA format is silly... true story.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typical for APA players

I recall a thread a fee years ago about zome one doing some seriously bad chit during a league match. Posters come out of the woodwork bashing apa. I mean a chit load of posters with all kinds of deragotory statements. Then the op posts the name of the league which he nev er did in his original post.

When he mentioned it happened in a bcapl league and not apa the thread quickly died cause all you apa bashers disapeared.. I thought that was funny ss hell yall assumed it was an apa player and shut the hell up when you found out it was one of your own that was such an imbicile.

Just goes to show that yall guys assume too much when it comes to apa.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you play in any league you get some support. Your teammates will likely approach you the same as you approach the league. You and your teammates, if competition is desired, will likely raise each other a bit.

Leagues are a great way to get experience matching up, if you are apprehensive about going out and getting games. IMO, a great place to get started down the decadent life of pool. 🤭

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After seeing the top players money list I'd say that league play is the way to go.

My team and other teams have won more money than some of the top 50-100 professional players.

:nanner:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

After seeing the top players money list I'd say that league play is the way to go.

My team and other teams have won more money than some of the top 50-100 professional players.

:nanner:

I'll need to see W2s, SSN etc etc.

Seriously though that list is very depressing. I figure most of them play on the side gambling and such, some give lessons to supplement tournament cash but how do they get by on that? Real work? Ew... crime? My personal favorite but dangerous. The world's oldest profession? I somehow just don't see it.