Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If you are not apart of their 'semi public' thats is OK, also if you have a table and practice 14.1 on a regular basis - your opinion is valuable to me. Please note that I do like Westerns - just not the one schmidt and charlie are TRYING to produce. If yer a member of john's facebook crowd - yer opinion has less value. Only honest answers are appreciated - I am passionate about the game and keeping it legit so I again I'm only interested in reading genuine responses. Thanks for your participation in what is very possibly another media experiment on the 'general public'. So is it legit? Or do you think (like me) it had a great deal to do with his recent new cue sponsor and hall of fame induction? Also do ya'll think they ( crooked powrs that b) have a legal right to make such a grandiose claim and not offer the video to general population'.

Yes, your outraged that nobody sat down with you to document even though the BCA has already done so. So, either join the BCA board of directors or STFU already.

Man, nobody can hate someone this much over one piece of chalk being thrown their way. Holy Bat Shit. Stop with the "fake new" already.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As John has been just about the only pro to video himself playing 14.1 and it’s obvious so he can profit if possible and that’s his right. John released a video and he states as he has written that he hopes his run would help pool..

John also said he isn't releasing the video if he doesn't make money, so is it really about helping pool?

"Honestly, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the video," Schmidt confessed. "I've got to monetize this to a degree. I don't really make money in pool. It is an opportunity for me and I can't let that pass by. I'm not going to simply release this video for free and end up dying broke behind a Walgreens. If the world won't allow me to get something from this video, then I guess the world will never see it."

I can't fault the guy for wanting to make money off his accomplishment, but, if he won't release it unless he makes money, doesn't sound like benefiting pool is his top priority.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John also said he isn't releasing the video if he doesn't make money, so is it really about helping pool?

"Honestly, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the video," Schmidt confessed. "I've got to monetize this to a degree. I don't really make money in pool. It is an opportunity for me and I can't let that pass by. I'm not going to simply release this video for free and end up dying broke behind a Walgreens. If the world won't allow me to get something from this video, then I guess the world will never see it."

I can't fault the guy for wanting to make money off his accomplishment, but, if he won't release it unless he makes money, doesn't sound like benefiting pool is his top priority.

How does seeing his run benefit pool?

Will it become a great hit, like "Gone With The Wind"?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've beaten all those points to death.
Really, only outstanding items at this point is the video.
Now to break down to answer Danny’s start of this thread and what’s important to know for history. First off As many top players like Danny , John and myself included a lot of us are a little high strung so emotions can run high and Danny has a every right as does anyone else to say what he feels.
Now after much time has gone by here is what I feel about all this.
As John has been just about the only pro to video himself playing 14.1 and it’s obvious so he can profit if possible and that’s his right. John released a video and he states as he has written that he hopes his run would help pool. I also have wanted it to help pool also but truth is if it has done anything at all it has only lined his and Charlie Williams pickets a little bit that’s all.
The question has been asked to me do I believe he ran over 600. My answer is yes I have believed it but as time has gone by I’m not so sure anymore. I don’t think the hardest thing would be to run 600 balls as I think it was much harder to make the pool table and conditions to such an advantage for it to happen. Table conditions are everything so here are a few questions that should be answered by people or players with common sense.

John live streamed his runs at this poolroom and bull shooters so why wasn’t there a live stream for his 600 ball run.
Why did he have to make every possible advantage to make it possible to attempt any runs. Gigantic pockets, Cushions with less response so balls don’t bobble at pockets, special ball rack, constant polishing of balls, a ball racker and so on. These are advantages that are not standard.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John also said
Wow.

I did not know that.

I hope he realizes what a mistake it would be to not release the video.

worse than dying broke behind Walgreens? Dying broke and bitter behind Walgreens.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as the run being legit?
After no unedited video being offered for any price to anyone I start to wonder like others. Whats the price that would make it released. How much has John made off seeing a video in person. 50 bucks a copy a hundred bucks a copy or 10k or 20k for the rights let here the amount.
I believe now the video isn't released for several reasons and one of the reasons is ego. If the video sold a lot and John made lots of money that it might get other players to attempt a high run and if someone ran 700 or so Johns ego would be hurt which is more important than money to him. The fact is I believe no one ever will run 600 again if this really did happen because no pros care because they don't see any money being awarded. Could anyone do it without a table being altered and perfect conditions at any time I highly doubt it.
John has many high runs but look at the conditions it took. The table at Q-master in Va beach was altered with the slate at the pockets being rounded over to accept balls easier at the pockets and gigantic pockets. Diamond tables have been out for 30 years and with all the new technology in pool cues, tips fast cloth many players tried for high runs including John for many years but with 4.25 or 4.5 inch pockets no one except 1 person has broke 300 at 311. So Johns highest so called run is more than doubles that his highest run on a Diamond table so why is that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

way to make people wanna see it john!

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, 15 balls per rack? If you made 15 balls in the rack, there wouldn't be a break ball left. I always counted 14balls per rack myself.

I don't play 14-1 but I think this is accurate.

The first rack only has 14 balls. Every rack after has 14 too. One ball left over from the previous rack + the 14 in the rack - the one you leave.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did he have to make every possible advantage to make it possible to attempt any runs. Gigantic pockets, Cushions with less response so balls don’t bobble at pockets, special ball rack, constant polishing of balls, a ball racker and so on. These are advantages that are not standard.

THIS is why I say he DIDN'T beat Mosconi's record.

He CREATED a NEW RECORD of HIS OWN.

He CONDITIONED the table/balls/environment in order to INDUCE the greatest possibility of the highest run he could possibly make.

He practiced on the table until he knew it like the back of his hand.

He didn't just walk into a pool hall, hit a few warm-up shots, play an exhibition match, and then just continue with his run like Mosconi did.

HE CONDITIONED EVERYTHING FOR THE PERFECT STORM TO OCCUR!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does seeing his run benefit pool?

Will it become a great hit, like "Gone With The Wind"?

Well you would have to ask John, he was the person who said he wanted his run to benefit pool, not I

Although since you asked me, in my belief having the video released would have resulted in more people watching pool that normally wouldn't have watched it.

If a non-pool player saw the article below and was interested enough to click on it and read it, it seems logical if there was a video, they may take the time to watch some of it, further developing their interest in pool. Look at the interest on here when the record was first broken, sure it wasn't 10's of thousands of people interested, but there was an interest, which seems to have diminished significantly with some people.

When was the last time pool was on a national paper, granted I am not the biggest fan of times so maybe I might have missed some stories along the way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/sports/john-schmidt-straight-pool-record-mosconi.html

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
760 Simonis?

So after hearing a few comments from World Champions with true World titles NOT the Charlie Williams NON sanctioned tournament.. Both Sigel and Varner both made statements the ability to run 600 balls is incredible and I 100% agree. The difference is when Sigel was told John did it with big pockets and 760 Simonis he retracted his thoughts and said what really it was on 760 Simonis cloth. Well that says a lot then. Then he had said then anyone who knows the game could run 700 or 800 like that and Mosconi would have ran 2000 without missing. That says a lot from a World Champion who knows the game better than anyone else and a proven stack of trophys to back it up. Can anyone name 1 tournament or event that uses 760 Simonis anywhere?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.

I did not know that.

I hope he realizes what a mistake it would be to not release the video.

worse than dying broke behind Walgreens? Dying broke and bitter behind Walgreens.

Yea, I was a little disappointed when I read that, but ohwell. Like I said he has every right to try and make some money off his accomplishment. But, stating he is trying to benefit pool, well sure maybe a bit, but mainly himself, and I think his comment reflects that.

Again, nothing wrong with that. It's his choice.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now to break down to answer Danny’s start of this thread and what’s important to know for history. First off As many top players like Danny , John and myself included a lot of us are a little high strung so emotions can run high and Danny has a every right as does anyone else to say what he feels.
Now after much time has gone by here is what I feel about all this.
As John has been just about the only pro to video himself playing 14.1 and it’s obvious so he can profit if possible and that’s his right. John released a video and he states as he has written that he hopes his run would help pool. I also have wanted it to help pool also but truth is if it has done anything at all it has only lined his and Charlie Williams pickets a little bit that’s all.
The question has been asked to me do I believe he ran over 600. My answer is yes I have believed it but as time has gone by I’m not so sure anymore. I don’t think the hardest thing would be to run 600 balls as I think it was much harder to make the pool table and conditions to such an advantage for it to happen. Table conditions are everything so here are a few questions that should be answered by people or players with common sense.

John live streamed his runs at this poolroom and bull shooters so why wasn’t there a live stream for his 600 ball run.

Sometime after live streaming the run I mentioned above (490ish), they decided to replay the previous day's high run instead of leaving the camera running on live stream for 12 hours a day or whatever it was. Maybe it was just taking up too many resources. For what its worth the 626 happened several weeks after they quit streaming in real time from what I remember. Phil Capele may still have all of this info on his facebook page.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometime after live streaming the run I mentioned above (490ish), they decided to replay the previous day's high run instead of leaving the camera running on live stream for 12 hours a day or whatever it was. Maybe it was just taking up too many resources. For what its worth the 626 happened several weeks after they quit streaming in real time from what I remember. Phil Capele may still have all of this info on his facebook page.

Well that explains it , it's a wrap Danno book it

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't play 14-1 but I think this is accurate.

The first rack only has 14 balls. Every rack after has 14 too. One ball left over from the previous rack + the 14 in the rack - the one you leave.

Yes, this isn't a straight pool story problem, it's a simple math problem.

You break and pocket 14 balls, leaving one on the table. (14)

Then you make that leftover one and bust up the rack of 14 and pocket 13 more until you are back down to 1 left. (1 + 13 = 14)

Lather, Rinse. Repeat

You are basically always working thru 14 and that 15th ball is never pocketed.

Every rack is 14 balls pocketed.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
So after hearing a few comments from World Champions with true World titles NOT the Charlie Williams NON sanctioned tournament.. Both Sigel and Varner both made statements the ability to run 600 balls is incredible and I 100% agree. The difference is when Sigel was told John did it with big pockets and 760 Simonis he retracted his thoughts and said what really it was on 760 Simonis cloth. Well that says a lot then. Then he had said then anyone who knows the game could run 700 or 800 like that and Mosconi would have ran 2000 without missing. That says a lot from a World Champion who knows the game better than anyone else and a proven stack of trophys to back it up. Can anyone name 1 tournament or event that uses 760 Simonis anywhere?
Sure, let's just move the goal post. I don't care how many championships a person has won, his statement is still unsupported nonsense.

Go look at an aiming thread. Being good at pool doesn't make you a scientist, a good commentator, a fortune teller or anything oi ther than a good player.

Mosconi would run 2000? Based on what?

Sent from the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.