Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As previously mentioned in this thread, John Schmidt gave a showing of the video at

Colleary’s Bistro,
2143 N. Tustin Street, Suite A6 Orange, CA
Sun, March 8th 4:00 – 8:00pm

I flew down around noon and showed up a hour or so early. Jerry and Jan McWorter were helping get the room set up. Colleary's is an up-scale Italian restaurant. I went and got a snack and coffee and came back about 3:30 when people were starting to filter in.

The main dining area was set up with seats mostly facing a large-screen TV. While people were arriving, the TV was showing part of Crane's 150 against Balsis and Pete Smith's film short of Willie Mosconi's life including the five-rail kick shot to beat Andrew Ponzi in the one hole.

The presentation ended up with about 50 in the audience at $50 each. We were lightly encouraged to buy food and drink from the restaurant but it was not required. I skipped the appetizers and went straight to the spaghetti and meat balls.:eek:ink::thumbup2: I'd like to thank the members here who help with expenses.

After a brief introduction we began watching John's 626 from the first shot. Every shot was shown clear through to the miss (a tricky combination with five balls remaining on the table) for shot 627.

There were basically three modes of playback. Some of it was with voice-over that had been added about a month after the run. The voices included John, Jerry, Doug Desmond (who provided major logistical support and racking during the attempts) and I think Lou Sardo.

During other portions the voice-over was turned off and Jerry and John discussed John's playing history, problems in the section of the run we were watching, and other pool-related stuff.

In the third mode the live narration continued but the video was played at 2X speed to save some time. This was roughly from ball 300 to ball 480. It was returned to normal speed before John passed his previous high run of 490 (on a break shot), the even 500, and numbers 526 and 527. We continued to the end at normal speed.

Around 580 was the only shot I would call a little questionable for a normal match shot. It was right after a break and the cue ball was close to the foot rail and near the left foot pocket. There was no obvious direct shot. A three-ball combo to the side was nearly straight but the balls were all spread out. John played a carom off a ball at about the bottom of the rack to hit a ball near the foot rail and about 10 inches from the pocket. As far as a legitimate match shot, I'd say it was 50-50. There may have been a safe with a little dink to freeze the cue ball to the back of a ball, but in that situation, you are not favored to get the first opening.

The shot for 627 (with five balls left on the table) was an off-angle combo near the right side of the rack in a cluster of three balls. Other shots he could have taken were his break ball on the left side of the rack or a ball on the head string near the right rail. (Directions as viewed from the head of the table, which is where the camera was.) It was really a two-ball combo and John said the third ball probably kept him from cutting the first ball enough to make the shot.

There was no mention of an NDA.

Every shot was shown.

I saw no touch fouls and I was looking for them.

Whoever wants to see the run for themselves should follow http://www.hihatentertainment.com/tickets or maybe call the number listed there to find out about future events. That's Jerry and Jan McWorter who are arranging the presentations.

Thanks Bob,
/Thread

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't worry everyone, the thread will continue! Once the video ceases to be a good messaging point the naysayers will move on to one of their myriad other "reasons" the run should be ignored.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mark Wilson and Mark Kendall have seen the video as well. Mark Kendall posted on FB that he saw the video for a second time last Sunday.

"Well that was on Facebook, so you cant trust that"

Snicker....

Good to know that Mark Wilson is one who has seen it. Another person with pool cred, like Mr. Jewett.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Hope it was enjoyable, Bob. Thanks for the write-up.
I don't think anyone left during the show. A friend of a friend who was there said he brought some work to do if he got bored -- he's not a red hot pool fan -- but he got caught up in it. People stuck around at the end. There were tips and pictures and other stuff for sale.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
As previously mentioned in this thread, John Schmidt gave a showing of the video at

Colleary’s Bistro,

I flew down around noon and showed up a hour or so early. Jerry and Jan McWorter were helping get the room set up. Colleary's is an up-scale Italian restaurant. I went and got a snack and coffee and came back about 3:30 when people were starting to filter in.

The main dining area was set up with seats mostly facing a large-screen TV. While people were arriving, the TV was showing part of Crane's 150 against Balsis and Pete Smith's film short of Willie Mosconi's life including the five-rail kick shot to beat Andrew Ponzi in the one hole.

The presentation ended up with about 50 in the audience at $50 each. We were lightly encouraged to buy food and drink from the restaurant but it was not required. I skipped the appetizers and went straight to the spaghetti and meat balls.:eek:ink::thumbup2: I'd like to thank the members here who help with expenses.

After a brief introduction we began watching John's 626 from the first shot. Every shot was shown clear through to the miss (a tricky combination with five balls remaining on the table) for shot 627.

There were basically three modes of playback. Some of it was with voice-over that had been added about a month after the run. The voices included John, Jerry, Doug Desmond (who provided major logistical support and racking during the attempts) and I think Lou Sardo.

During other portions the voice-over was turned off and Jerry and John discussed John's playing history, problems in the section of the run we were watching, and other pool-related stuff.

In the third mode the live narration continued but the video was played at 2X speed to save some time. This was roughly from ball 300 to ball 480. It was returned to normal speed before John passed his previous high run of 490 (on a break shot), the even 500, and numbers 526 and 527. We continued to the end at normal speed.

Around 580 was the only shot I would call a little questionable for a normal match shot. It was right after a break and the cue ball was close to the foot rail and near the left foot pocket. There was no obvious direct shot. A three-ball combo to the side was nearly straight but the balls were all spread out. John played a carom off a ball at about the bottom of the rack to hit a ball near the foot rail and about 10 inches from the pocket. As far as a legitimate match shot, I'd say it was 50-50. There may have been a safe with a little dink to freeze the cue ball to the back of a ball, but in that situation, you are not favored to get the first opening.

The shot for 627 (with five balls left on the table) was an off-angle combo near the right side of the rack in a cluster of three balls. Other shots he could have taken were his break ball on the left side of the rack or a ball on the head string near the right rail. (Directions as viewed from the head of the table, which is where the camera was.) It was really a two-ball combo and John said the third ball probably kept him from cutting the first ball enough to make the shot.

Every shot was shown.

Whoever wants to see the run for themselves should follow http://www.hihatentertainment.com/tickets or maybe call the number listed there to find out about future events. That's Jerry and Jan McWorter who are arranging the presentations.

giphy.gif

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still waiting for the DVD but one thing for sure. John Schmidt is living rent free in some people's brains.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If I am reading it right, at the end he chose an off angle combo instead of an open shot at a ball he wanted to use as his break ball? Do you think it was a good choice? I hope to see the video at some point.
If the ball had gone it would have been absolutely the right choice. With only five balls on the table, a mini-cluster, and a good break ball, you really don't want to sacrifice the break ball to break out the cluster. Also, it looked like the angle from the break ball to the cluster was not natural to break it out.

Maybe it was possible to shoot the loose ball on the headstring and do a Z shot to the cluster, but the cue ball would have been travelling 10 feet for the breakout with no insurance ball or second chance and the side pocket was close to being in the way.

This is as close as I can figure the final shot:

CropperCapture[498].jpg

I can't be sure about whether the called ball is the 3 or the 5. Without the other ball on the table, it's hard to say. I'm going with the three.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the ball had gone it would have been absolutely the right choice. With only five balls on the table, a mini-cluster, and a good break ball, you really don't want to sacrifice the break ball to break out the cluster. Also, it looked like the angle from the break ball to the cluster was not natural to break it out.

Maybe it was possible to shoot the loose ball on the headstring and do a Z shot to the cluster, but the cue ball would have been travelling 10 feet for the breakout with no insurance ball or second chance and the side pocket was close to being in the way.

This is as close as I can figure the final shot:

View attachment 543474

I can't be sure about whether the called ball is the 3 or the 5. Without the other ball on the table, it's hard to say. I'm going with the three.

Thank you for the reply and the diagram. I see what you mean. Makes me more interested to see how the final rack played out from start to finish and his decision process. Seems bad to leave that type of cluster towards the end without knowing how he got this position.

Maybe shoot the 6 with top inside to try to land on 3 in opposite corner. No matter what this is a rough spot to be in after running 626.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Colleary’s Bistro,

Every shot was shown.

Excellent. Confirmed and Exoneration all at the same time :)

Now, who were the "rubes" that kept calling him out based on the "integrity" of the game... you know, the rubes calling out someone else's integrity with not one shred of evidence. Yeah, rubes... can't live with them.... can't shoot them.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the reply and the diagram. I see what you mean. Makes me more interested to see how the final rack played out from start to finish and his decision process. Seems bad to leave that type of cluster towards the end without knowing how he got this position.

Maybe shoot the 6 with top inside to try to land on 3 in opposite corner. No matter what this is a rough spot to be in after running 626.

I try to get under that cluster...but that's why I cant spell straght pewl

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, I’m happy you confirmed what I think most already believed.
Records are made to be broken so I hope someone else will take on the challenge to top it, maybe Danny

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So much for the conspiracy theories - also known as lies - about the non disclosure agreement and the first 200 balls not being filmed.

Who’s “whistling past the graveyard” now?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So much for the conspiracy theories - also known as lies - about the non disclosure agreement and the first 200 balls not being filmed.

Danny's advisor...!!!

Convenient how Danny packed up his tent and suddenly is done talking about John once he knew Bobs report was on the way.

Sent from the future.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about shooting the 6 in the corner with a ton of low left draw hit the side rail below the side pocket and try to get under the cluster near the score markers.
Now if done right there are a lot of options to pocket balls in the side or far corners.

But thats a Monday morning quarterback decision.
The combo was probably the right choice in the heat of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.