Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Montana is a big state with *a lot" of really good bar box 8ball players.

And as someone pointed out in another thread, up in Montana playing pool is second only to hunting and fishing. Every bar has scads of teams. It's huge. It's so big they even have an annual "belt buckle" tournament that players come from all over to compete in. The winner gets a silver rodeo style buckle. Winning that one is one of my proudest pool accomplishments : -)

Lou Figueroa
That’s a cool trophy. And in ‘79 that was the fashion. Jeesh you’re old…

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s a cool trophy. And in ‘79 that was the fashion. Jeesh you’re old…

lol, and with luck, you will be too one day -- don't blink, it happens fast.

So yes, the buckle was cool and it did come in handy. I mean, it was Montana, and about a year later "Urban Cowboy" starring Travolta came out so I was set.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 71

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good memory! Bob Jewett took notes on Schmidt's break-shot locations and posted the results earlier in this thread. He shows 4 times from below the rack and twice (as you remembered) with ball in hand in the kitchen: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/is-schmidts-and-charlie-626-legit.506237/page-69#post-6604581.

But I have to correct you on the "over 400 dozens of times." He has done it 8 times, 6 of which were during his high-run attempts of 2018 and 2019: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/congratulations-john-schmidt.528219/#post-6906441
Thanks, it didn’t sound right to me after I typed it. Maybe it was over 300 that was dozens of times.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol, and with luck, you will be too one day -- don't blink, it happens fast.

So yes, the buckle was cool and it did come in handy. I mean, it was Montana, and about a year later "Urban Cowboy" starring Travolta came out so I was set.

Lou Figueroa
I’m not too far behind…I see the resemblance to travolta. Ha

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB's path to victory in the 2019 World 14.1 Championship:

Round-robin portion -- 5-0, including a win over Max Eberle​
Single-elimination portion -- wins over Madenjian, Eberle, Schmidt, and Deuel​

(not exactly a strong field overall, but Hohmann was also in it)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
And, some people just have that cheating character defect though and they probably can't help themselves
This is accurate, I know the character of the j.s and c.w. when it comes to shady business and or engineering possible falsehoods. Win if you can - lose if you must - but never cheat. I have said it before and I will repeat - catching an unedited run of 600+ on video - has nothing to do with - who you know. The theater show that poor bloodybrussel attended has been edited or sped up for time purposes? Staging a non legit theater presentation of a video that has been sped up for time purposes - IS ABOUT - who you know. Capturing a Legit Unedited run of 600+ IN 14.1 - the people can purchase and then see from the comfort of their house - has nothing to do with who you know.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks, it didn’t sound right to me after I typed it. Maybe it was over 300 that was dozens of times.
It did not sound right to me after u typed it either, a nother' happy customer who enjoys sweating chopped footage from their 'semi private' theater.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Montana is a big state with *a lot" of really good bar box 8ball players.

And as someone pointed out in another thread, up in Montana playing pool is second only to hunting and fishing. Every bar has scads of teams. It's huge. It's so big they even have an annual "belt buckle" tournament that players come from all over to compete in. The winner gets a silver rodeo style buckle. Winning that one is one of my proudest pool accomplishments : -)

Lou Figueroa
That is a Cool belt buckle Lou, if held in Big Sky Country - why does it say little Chicago?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johns 626 is impressive but he did it on a table he was very familiar with having run multiple 100's of balls.
Same with all the other mega runs by past players.
Mosconi ran 526 on a table he was not familiar with in god only knows what kind of shape it was in.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a Cool belt buckle Lou, if held in Big Sky Country - why does it say little Chicago?

Danny, my recollection is that Little Chicago was the original name of Black Eagle or north Great Falls across the river, and there was a bar there called Little Chicago with a lot of bar boxes at which they held the annual belt buckle tourney.

Lou Figueroa

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Johns 626 is impressive but he did it on a table he was very familiar with having run multiple 100's of balls.
Mosconi ran 526 on a table he was not familiar with in god only knows what kind of shape it was in.
There are no rules about the table. Mosconi ran his on an 8 foot table and nobody said a word about it. Nobody complained about it. So, the same should be true for JS. Did anyone really expect him to keep jumping to another table.

Baseball has different dimensions in every ball park in America, and different winds, different altitudes, different temperatures, etc. Nobody says a word about that when it comes to Home Runs.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
That was covered about 2700 posts ago. They are both very impressive runs I would say.

If we are somehow trying to equalize them then exactly how many would a man need to make if he played the table before...726?, 1000?

The tables weren't even the same size.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no rules about the table. Mosconi ran his on an 8 foot table and nobody said a word about it. Nobody complained about it. So, the same should be true for JS. Did anyone really expect him to keep jumping to another table.

Baseball has different dimensions in every ball park in America, and different winds, different altitudes, different temperatures, etc. Nobody says a word about that when it comes to Home Runs.

It is my understanding that JS had that table especially set up for high runs.

The table was selected and brought in because it played super soft -- the pockets were extra big, the rails especially forgiving, it was set up with not normal cloth, heaters under the table, and the a/c in the room set super high. There may have been some other stuff done but it definitely wasn't a case of him walking into a strange room and taking on what was there with a room full of strangers.

I am willing to stand corrected and retract any or all of that if someone wants to counter with facts.

Lou Figueroa
I wait with bait
on my breath

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

The table was selected and brought in because it played super soft -- the pockets were extra big, the rails especially forgiving, it was set up with not normal cloth, heaters under the table, and the a/c in the room set super high. There may have been some other stuff done but it definitely wasn't a case of him walking into a strange room and taking on what was there with a room full of strangers.

I am willing to stand corrected and retract any or all of that if someone wants to counter with facts.

Lou Figueroa
I wait with bait
on my breath
And it was 9 feet long. Mosconi's table was 8 feet. Nobody cares.

JS is the world record holder. Mosconi is the best player that ever lived.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table was selected and brought in because it played super soft -- the pockets were extra big, the rails especially forgiving, it was set up with not normal cloth, heaters under the table, and the a/c in the room set super high.
Those specific six factors/abnormally-easy conditions cited frequently (and possibly quite correctly) on AZB, could logically be set up and duplicated anywhere in the world, and were there some substantial monetary (and psychic) reward there'd likely -- worldwide -- be about 6 or 7 players with sufficient 14.1 skills who'd be a not-unreasonable bet to surpass John's number -- if, and only if, they also possessed John's demonstrable stamina, remarkable resilience, and obsessive (in a good sense) determination. So much about world-class playing is indeed about obsession, as with any athletic performances and sports records.

We'll never know in the short term, because no one anywhere that I know of, is currently reported as setting up the same (rumored) playing conditions cited as being used by John and his team.

Arnaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.