Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You know Mosconi often attempted high runs at his exhibitions, though he did not, and now you know this and offer no evidence for either claim.

Lou Figueroa
Well, in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms.

So, your argument is he didn't attempt this but liked to memorialize dates, places and high run numbers because he never cared about high runs??

Is that your contention?

I suspect Mosconi cared about high runs even more than some here ;)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Montana is a big state with *a lot" of really good bar box 8ball players.

And as someone pointed out in another thread, up in Montana playing pool is second only to hunting and fishing. Every bar has scads of teams. It's huge. It's so big they even have an annual "belt buckle" tournament that players come from all over to compete in. The winner gets a silver rodeo style buckle. Winning that one is one of my proudest pool accomplishments : -)

Lou Figueroa
Sorry that doesn't say state champion on it but it's definitely a nice thing to have.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Johns 626 is impressive but he did it on a table he was very familiar with having run multiple 100's of balls.
Same with all the other mega runs by past players.
Mosconi ran 526 on a table he was not familiar with in god only knows what kind of shape it was in.
Mosconi was a player rep for Brunswick and did hundreds of exhibitions on those tables. He toured with Greenleaf and later by himself for many years under the Brunswick contact.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It is my understanding that JS had that table especially set up for high runs.

The table was selected and brought in because it played super soft -- the pockets were extra big, the rails especially forgiving, it was set up with not normal cloth, heaters under the table, and the a/c in the room set super high. There may have been some other stuff done but it definitely wasn't a case of him walking into a strange room and taking on what was there with a room full of strangers.

I am willing to stand corrected and retract any or all of that if someone wants to counter with facts.

Lou Figueroa
I wait with bait
on my breath
And despite that I will be willing to bet that you can't even run 200 on these allegedly "soft" conditions.

Is amazing how much you want to denigrate this accomplishment. For someone who says that they are "good" with John your comments certainly don't seem like you are good with him.

Maybe we should ask John how that knife in his back feels.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms.

So, your argument is he didn't attempt this but liked to memorialize dates, places and high run numbers because he never cared about high runs??

Is that your contention?

I suspect Mosconi cared about high runs even more than some here ;)

I don't recall seeing anything like the plaques -- could you post a picture?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 81

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh, and here's one when I took second.

It's a photo of the three participating USAF players from Malmstrom AFB.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 75

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And despite that I will be willing to bet that you can't even run 200 on these allegedly "soft" conditions.

Is amazing how much you want to denigrate this accomplishment. For someone who says that they are "good" with John your comments certainly don't seem like you are good with him.

Maybe we should ask John how that knife in his back feels.

Don't know -- the table is gone.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any news update you can share Lou, regarding Bobby's event? (Excuse me if you will, if I missed any recent post about it.)

Arnaldo, I think we are getting closer.

BC is trying to capture some interviews to add some historical context to the whole subject of 14.1 high runs. I'm going to be on the East Coast in a few days. My schedule is kinda tight but I'm hoping to be able to stop in and check out the venue in DC. If not I plan to return for a longer visit once things take off.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen one recently. Someone posted a scan of one of his books. Might have been Willie’s Game.

Photo please.

RJ said, "...in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms." That may certainly be true, I just don't recall and would like to see. Just flipping through my copy of "Willie's Game" I didn't spot such a photo.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Photo please.

RJ said, "...in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms." That may certainly be true, I just don't recall and would like to see. Just flipping through my copy of "Willie's Game" I didn't spot such a photo.

Lou Figueroa
I’ll hunt it down..The photo was of a plaque and date of a then high run of Willie’s, hanging at an establishment. The run was in the 400s,I believe. The chapter IIRC discussed two such runs. Others must have seen this as well. Seemed important enough, and suggests that Willie would go for high runs. no idea why he would continue any exhibition run considering how many he was doing.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnaldo, I think we are getting closer.

BC is trying to capture some interviews to add some historical context to the whole subject of 14.1 high runs. I'm going to be on the East Coast in a few days. My schedule is kinda tight but I'm hoping to be able to stop in and check out the venue in DC. If not I plan to return for a longer visit once things take off.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, I'm certain that between Bobby and yourself you're both aware of many historically-contextual, potential interviewees, but FWIW I know of a number of greats who also have living relatives with an event-enriching supply of anecdotes.

Some who come to mind are Crane, Caras, Mizerak's namesake son, Dorothy Wise, Mosconi, Balsis -- all of whose male or female relatives are project-ably knowledgeable for Bobby's purpose. And certainly Petey Margo has abundant, interview-worthy insights on the subject of extraordinary, and consistent high runs he has witnessed and engaged in.

Arnaldo

gerryf

Another record mentioned in Mosconi's book is

Best grand average, world tournament—averaged 18.34 balls per inning, Chicago, 1950
The 1950 World Championship had 12 contestants.

In that section of his book, Mosconi talks about the change from 10 foot to 9 foot tables,
However, in August of 1949, the BCA shortened the standard pool table from five by ten feet to four and a half by nine. They also widened the corner pockets from five to five and a half inches and the side pockets from four and a half to five. One reason for the change in table size was that manufacturers were producing five-by-tens only for championship play. The proprietors of pool halls had been ordering the smaller tables for years because they could fit more of them into their rooms. But essentially the changes were intended to speed play and generate excitement with the likelihood of longer runs. By way of compensation, the number of points needed to win a game was increased from 125 to 150 for national and world competition. How much of a difference did all of that make? Enough to say that starting in 1950 the game of pocket billiards was transformed; it became a markedly different game.
...​
It no longer made much sense to play defense. On the one hand the shots were easier to make; on the other, it was more difficult to leave your opponent safe, for he would always be closer to the object ball than he would have been on the larger table. Almost immediately, records began to fall,
Cohen, Stanley; Mosconi, Willie. Willie's Game: An Autobiography . Open Road Media. Kindle Edition.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll hunt it down..The photo was of a plaque and date of a then high run of Willie’s, hanging at an establishment. The run was in the 400s,I believe. The chapter IIRC discussed two such runs. Others must have seen this as well. Seemed important enough, and suggests that Willie would go for high runs. no idea why he would continue any exhibition run considering how many he was doing.
Cash?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Are we giving ribbons out for things we could have done if we wanted to now?...how special.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuedup

IKR

He could have run over a 1000 but he didnt want to. He stopped when he did so he could get home in time to catch Lawrence Welk.

Status
Not open for further replies.