Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
this is imho is a lie - guaranteed. if being a bca nerd who is in the know with back room/sketchy record keepers - is yer version of clarity - enjoy the blur. I would suggest u not promoting 14.1 in the future bob - clarity has not been achieved - as u well know Mosconi's World Record Stands.
I can't imagine Bob even replying to this gibberish.

is yer version...
suggest u not promoting 14.1
as u well know...

Danny, please get a high school education, or at least a third grade English equivalent before spewing the usual. We are well aware of your hatred; you don't have to keep repeating it in Deliverance language.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
John S obviously put a huge amount of effort into breaking the high run record. More than probably any previous pro player ever. Tough. John S is not the best player or even the best at pocketing balls. He would probably openly admit that. So what! He saw a record that was achievable for someone at his level of play -- and HE DID IT!

After John made the new record of 626, you had pro's like Dennis Orcollo come out and suggest that he could beat the 626. Maybe he could. But he hasn't put the effort in to do it. One thing that I've learned over the years when working. Effort is most times more important than shear ability when it comes to accomplishing things. John put in the effort and accomplished his goal. He should be proud of what he accomplished. He had the guts and fortitude to give it a real shot, when players better than him probably won't ever try.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John S saw a record that was achievable for someone at his level of play -- and HE DID IT!
. . .One thing that I've learned over the years when working. Effort is most times more important than sheer ability when it comes to accomplishing things. John put in the effort and accomplished his goal. He should be proud of what he accomplished. He had the guts and fortitude to give it a real shot, when players better than him probably won't ever try.
You've got it exactly right, G-man. And here's a very edifying additional ingredient/ helpful characteristic that sustained John and which he had in abundance during his effort, though it's likely he never saw it pointed out so clearly and eloquently as Swindoll does here (it's a keeper I recommend to all):
1627448290579.jpeg

Attachments

• 1627447865364.jpeg
    1627447865364.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 53

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is HIGHlarious that xnutso-x thinks deleting his posts makes them go away, when forum management could restore them with a few clicks of the mouse.

Delusion is amusin'.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WGAS?
Piece on u too. ‘DP’II. Ur dumb as those other rocks. Get together, maybe y’all can
Pretend to to be a garden. Don’t forget the dumbest of all, jb.
Maybe y’all can all go biking, it’s mostly downhill, y’know?
Your next meltdown is bubblin up. Awesome.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. But the suggestion up-thread was that Schmidt had made 1100 attempts to break the high-run record, while Willie just went about playing his game, so maybe Schmidt is the weaker player.

Danny Harriman said that Mosconi played 14.1 six days a week for 22 years before he set the high record. Schmidt played for 17 years, but Danny pointed out that he only played 14.1 for a short period, then dedicated a couple of months to it.

No one disputes that Mosconi was a great player. But if someone's going to criticize Schmidt for devoting a couple of months to breaking the record, you have to put it into context.

You can imagine that if you had the data for how many hours Mosconi played 14.1 in those 22 years, and had the data for how many hours Schmidt played 14.1 over 17 years, you might (?) be able to interpret that as a measure of talent.

Now, we just have to see if one of the young guns like Filler or Gorst or Ko will take a run at it.

Well, to me it's like saying: look, a particular golfer wailed away on a par three a 1,000 times and had 21 holes-in-one -- Tiger Woods never had that many HOI so that makes him a greater golfer than Tiger.

Lou Figueroa

gerryf

Well, to me it's like saying: look, a particular golfer wailed away on a par three a 1,000 times and had 21 holes-in-one -- Tiger Woods never had that many HOI so that makes him a greater golfer than Tiger.

Lou Figueroa
Nobody has said that John Schmidt is a greater player than Willie Mosconi, and i doubt that anyone believes that, especially John Schmidt.

What did happen is that John Schmidt had a run of 626, breaking a record set by Mosconi. He hasn't dominated the world of 14.1 like Mosconi, but he put in a lot of focused effort to surpass just one of the records that Mosconi established 77 years ago.

John Schmidt isn't the BCA league champion from the pool hall down the street. He's a professional player with world-calibre skills. One sign of that skill is his professional record. Another sign of that skill is that no one else has surpassed Mosconi's record in 77 years. And yet another sign of that skill is that he surpassed Mosconi's record with less 14.1 experience than Mosconi.

Once Mosconi surpassed Caras record by more than 200 balls, he probably felt there was no need in trying to surpass his own record. In the newspaper reports and in his book, he was clearly proud of the 526. But if Caras had run 550 the following year, do you think Mosconi would have tried to surpass it?

Everyone who's congratulated Schmidt for his accomplishment knows that it isn't the end of the story.

We all know of players out there who have skills equal or greater than Schmidt, and many of them have far less experience than him. Hopefully the coverage will encourage other players to try to surpass Schmidt's record.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
No, that would make him a golfer that had 21 holes in one, on a par 3.

JS ran more balls than WM, 626 to his 526. It isn't about which one is a better pool player, it's about the high run.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another sign of that skill is that no one else has surpassed Mosconi's record in 77 years. And yet another sign of that skill is that he surpassed Mosconi's record with less 14.1 experience than Mosconi.
Ok guys after reading this comment I have to ask a direct statement.
Please name any players that have tryed to set a BCA record since Mosconis 526.

Please name just 1 other than JS.

There are many higher runs than 526 including some by Mosconi. The only reasons they were not a BCA record is because they didnt follow through to the BCA and there was no financial reward for any records. Why didnt Mosconi let the BCA know he ran 586 or 600 or 602 or 609?
Not 1 of the higher runs was ever presented to the BCA for certification.
There are 2 people still alive that witnessed Cranfields 768 that can come forward though.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

There are many higher runs than 526 including some by Mosconi. The only reasons they were not a BCA record is because they didnt follow through to the BCA and there was no financial reward for any records. Why didnt Mosconi let the BCA know he ran 586 or 600 or 602 or 609?
Not 1 of the higher runs was ever presented to the BCA for certification.
There are 2 people still alive that witnessed Cranfields 768 that can come forward though.
The BCA had strict conditions for accepting a run into the official record. Those runs, which likely did happen as reported, did not meet the published criteria for acceptance as official records. It is my understand that some of the runs were presented to the BCA and certification was denied due to the failure to meet the criteria.

I believe that many players tried to set records that would be recognized by the BCA if they broke them. Thomas Engert, Ortmann, Mizerak, and a ton of other players surely have tried to run record breaking numbers at various times in their lives. That seems only natural to me for the competitive elite to be attempting to take the number one spot. How often they did it is likely to be low though. You are correct that there seems to be little organized attempts at the record since Mosconi's 526 was established. I would say that John's efforts represent possibly the only serious and sustained attempts publicly attempted. Perhaps your event will become an annual celebration of the top 14.1 players trying to break the current record and inspire a new generation to take up the challenge.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only alleged, you bs’ers wrote it like u determined to see and hear it.
Wrong again. Are you disabled?

The facts have been weighed and rational minds agree that many independent parties arriving at the same conclusion is indicative said conclusion is accurate.

...and then there's your blind hatred of anything John Schmidt.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas Engert of Germany definitely tried. And got within 35 balls of passing Willie.
His 491 might be one of the highest left-hander Straight Pool runs in front of witnesses.

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody has said that John Schmidt is a greater player than Willie Mosconi, and i doubt that anyone believes that, especially John Schmidt.

What did happen is that John Schmidt had a run of 626, breaking a record set by Mosconi. He hasn't dominated the world of 14.1 like Mosconi, but he put in a lot of focused effort to surpass just one of the records that Mosconi established 77 years ago.

John Schmidt isn't the BCA league champion from the pool hall down the street. He's a professional player with world-calibre skills. One sign of that skill is his professional record. Another sign of that skill is that no one else has surpassed Mosconi's record in 77 years. And yet another sign of that skill is that he surpassed Mosconi's record with less 14.1 experience than Mosconi.

Once Mosconi surpassed Caras record by more than 200 balls, he probably felt there was no need in trying to surpass his own record. In the newspaper reports and in his book, he was clearly proud of the 526. But if Caras had run 550 the following year, do you think Mosconi would have tried to surpass it?

Everyone who's congratulated Schmidt for his accomplishment knows that it isn't the end of the story.

We all know of players out there who have skills equal or greater than Schmidt, and many of them have far less experience than him. Hopefully the coverage will encourage other players to try to surpass Schmidt's record.

Well, actually there has been some sentiment expressed to the effect that JS is the greater player but I think anyone in the know knows thats ludicrous.

I do believe there will be some serious attempts to break the 626 in the near term, with unedited video available after the fact.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, that would make him a golfer that had 21 holes in one, on a par 3.

JS ran more balls than WM, 626 to his 526. It isn't about which one is a better pool player, it's about the high run.

I think you just made my point.

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.