Aaron, I absolutely agree.
When I watched Dennis sizing up that shot I thought to myself 'he's giving himself a very small landing zone'. But he's a top pro and these guys can hit those fairly routinely.
That said, the atmosphere was crazy, adrenelaine was pumping, and it's easy to say with hindsight that a safer route should have been taken.
pt109 also makes a great observation. That by Dennis hitting the 7 fat, that deadened the roll of whitey so as not to come off of the rail as crisply as it could have.
It wasn't a high percentage match for either player, there were a fair amount of misses on makeable balls.
Did anyone else think that once he hooked himself, that Dennis had a better chance at jumping the nine to make the 8 ball rather than trying to spin around it as he did?
All in all, I saw Dennis as playing his heart out for team USA and, given the absolutely raucous atmosphere there, a couple of errors could be expected.
Best,
Brian kc