Is there a safety here?

Dusty5150

Registered
Last night I had this to get on the hill against a 6 (I'm a 5); I called a time out because I wasn't really sure what to do; I'm on the 8. All I saw was a safety, trying to edge the cue ball behind the 11 and hook my opponent behind his own ball. My team mate talked me out of the safety and I cross banked the 8 on his advice and did win the game. My opponent commented about me taking the time out, that it was unnecessary as the bank was the ONLY shot and there was NO safety. Maybe he was right, but I wanted to talk it out anyway.

Is the bank the ONLY shot? or is there a safety?

8b609.png

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The safety is there. It could double kiss out on you so speed would be very key. I liked the bank when I first saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A genuine LOL at your opponent telling you that your timeout was unnecessary.

If I didn't feel comfortable about the bank, I was have come off the short rail behind the 8 ball knocking it to the rail trying the keep the CB behind the 8 ball.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could play safety.

For the bank shot, if the 8ball is really close to that rail then it is very difficult, you need to apply inside english and hit it hard for that shot to bank, but if the 8ball far away from the rail then it is an easy bank for the win.

It it was me? I'd bank it, with inside english and win the game.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As pictured you have either available. If it's a Valley or similarly loose table, the bank is probably the right shot. Safety wise and again "as pictured" , you could lay up behind the 11 or right on it. This would leave the 8 in front of the hole with your opponent having to move the ball multiple rails just to hopefully hook you. If you land on the front of the 11, he'd have a direct carom up (down actually) table to get behind the 12, 9, and 15. The guy's comment was just an interruption.

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, (per your diagram), the bank on the 8 is a much easier shot than a successful safety. I would have banked the 8 without thinking much about it.

But . . . if I HAD to play safe I would have lightly hit the 8 first and tried to end up with something like this . . .

Attachments

• safety.jpg
    safety.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 777

Dusty5150

Registered
In my opinion, (per your diagram), the bank on the 8 is a much easier shot than a successful safety. I would have banked the 8 without thinking much about it.

But . . . if I HAD to play safe I would have lightly hit the 8 first and tried to end up with something like this . . .

This is exactly what my team mate said ... I was concerned about selling out if i missed the bank, and he said, you sell out if you miss the safety too, so may as well go for the win, trust me its an easier shot anyway ;) and he was right.

I wanted to ask here, moreso to confirm that I was right in thinking there was a safety option there at all (even if it wasn't right option), as my opponent was adamant that there was no safety .. I think he was just mad ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're not confident with the bank shot on the 8-ball, I see no problem with locking him up behind his 11-ball while knocking your 8-ball even closer to the corner pocket. He might be able to play a safety to put you behind another one of his balls, but it would be tough. To me, the bank on the 8-ball looks like a possible double kiss unless you hit it quite hard, which eliminates the possibility of a 2-way shot. Another factor is whether you're playing on a 7-foot barbox with standard pockets, or on a 9-foot table with tighter pockets, which would make the bank shot slightly harder to execute.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That 1/2" space between the 8 and the rail is crucial - it makes the bank much easier.

pj <- not easy, exactly
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Depending on EXACTLY where they both were, I might of Froze em on the 11, parallel to the short rail. Frozen is KEY. Or if I could of gotten whitey behind the stripe and the 8 out, I would of taken away any good kick shot. Exactly where they lay is not possible with a drawing.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
If your touch on these very short very soft shots is good, and if the balls were really positioned exactly as diagrammed, the safety is pretty much unmissable. As an added benefit, if you play it right, the 8 remains parked right over the hole where even if he hooks you back you should be a favorite to kick it in. And it's not likely at all that he hooks you back.

The bank is not a very tough one, but is definitely missable. And if you miss it against a good player, it's a definite sellout unless you get very lucky.

The safety is very clearly the percentage play here, to my eyes. But if you change the positions of the balls even subtly, the safety could get a lot more missable, and that absolutely changes the equation. So if it's possible that you're mis-remembering the layout at all, that could easily explain your captain's (and opponent's) opinions.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Depending on EXACTLY where they both were, I might of Froze em on the 11, parallel to the short rail. Frozen is KEY. Or if I could of gotten whitey behind the stripe and the 8 out, I would of taken away any good kick shot. Exactly where they lay is not possible with a drawing.

Playing by BCAPL's rule that allows you to shoot thru frozen balls I would rather see a very small gap between the balls unless I am freezing my opponent to my ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bank the 8 and, at the same time, play a safety.

You gots to come with more...I don't really see a reasonable safety, especially given the next player plays as well/ better than the shooter.

That CB is NOT sticking on the 11, if 8 is struck hard enough to be pocketed.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing by BCAPL's rule that allows you to shoot thru frozen balls I would rather see a very small gap between the balls unless I am freezing my opponent to my ball.

Logical...but frozen or freezing both leave very low likelihood of offence for next shooter.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I had this to get on the hill against a 6 (I'm a 5); I called a time out because I wasn't really sure what to do; I'm on the 8. All I saw was a safety, trying to edge the cue ball behind the 11 and hook my opponent behind his own ball. My team mate talked me out of the safety and I cross banked the 8 on his advice and did win the game. My opponent commented about me taking the time out, that it was unnecessary as the bank was the ONLY shot and there was NO safety. Maybe he was right, but I wanted to talk it out anyway.

Is the bank the ONLY shot? or is there a safety?

8b609.png
Routine bank. Don't like giving the table back here.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play the bank, it's about as easy as a bank gets and you can still get lucky and leave a tough shot or the other guy won't run out anyway even with an open shot. Trying to hit soft to leave the ball behind the 8 looks like will have a high chance of simply scratching in the pocket off it and any other safe is a much higher chance of messing up than just making the bank. Tough safe or easy bank to win. To me it would take 4 seconds to decide that one LOL

Last edited:

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A six should be able to two rail kick at the 12 or 9 and leave you hosed on the 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk