Is there seriously only 1 pic of George?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have only seen 1 picture of Balabushka ever. I did a search and the usual one is the only one you see. Is there seriously only the one picture of him out there?

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I have only seen 1 picture of Balabushka ever. I did a search and the usual one is the only one you see. Is there seriously only the one picture of him out there?

maybe look in the billiard encyclopedia?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are up to two...
d6e3a041200c45ea8e863ed09b445313.jpg
0c23a28a27665f3c4b6bb55f5afa0592.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are up to two...
d6e3a041200c45ea8e863ed09b445313.jpg
0c23a28a27665f3c4b6bb55f5afa0592.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. My dad knew him actually pretty well. Offered my dad a cue after he did George a favor (no idea what) and my dad turned it down because he didnt play. Told me when I really got into pool during college.

Nice. My dad knew him actually pretty well. Offered my dad a cue after he did George a favor (no idea what) and my dad turned it down because he didnt play. Told me when I really got into pool during college.

Cool story. Sorry to hear that your Dad turned down that offer. I love that picture of him leaning up against the table. Very cool. I am sure that his relatives would probably have more pics of him, but maybe do not want to make them public.

Maybe he was just a very private type of person, and did not like getting his picture taken very often.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool story. Sorry to hear that your Dad turned down that offer. I love that picture of him leaning up against the table. Very cool. I am sure that his relatives would probably have more pics of him, but maybe do not want to make them public.

Maybe he was just a very private type of person, and did not like getting his picture taken very often.

He was in his shop most of the time, and he was very private about what he did in there, so that explains his availability for photos. Also, his public appearances, sometimes delivering cues to pool halls- a place where cameras were rare and a place , esp in NYC area, where there were many types that did not want photos taken at all for obvious reasons.

It all seems perfectly logical to me, esp. if you understand NYC and pool halls in the 1950s, 60s, early 70s. I can remember more than once when guys would come over and grab a camera and remove film if a photo was being taken in the "wrong" place. You didn't argue!

Mob guys did not like public displays of their home address, phone numbers, photos, and no checks or credit cards.

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member

Up to 3.....

Will Prout

Attachments

• F25AAA68-8DCF-4A3B-B54F-25D7053D56BE.jpeg
    F25AAA68-8DCF-4A3B-B54F-25D7053D56BE.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 513

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
A lot of us were not into selfies back in the day.

Also, few people were walking around with cameras and snapping pictures, that you had to take to a film center to process.

Today, nearly everyone has a camera in their phone.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
There's that too.

He was in his shop most of the time, and he was very private about what he did in there, so that explains his availability for photos. Also, his public appearances, sometimes delivering cues to pool halls- a place where cameras where rare and a place , esp in NYC area, where there were many types that did not want photos taken at all for obvious reasons.

It all seems perfectly logical to me, esp. if you understand NYC and pool halls in the 1950s, 60s, early 70s. I can remember more than once when guys would come over and grab a camera and remove film if a photo was being taken in the "wrong" place. You didn't argue!

Mob guys did not like public displays of their home address, phone numbers, photos, and no checks or credit cards.

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know where the poolroom that Bushka and Frank McGown owned
was located?...and what years was it open?...thanks,VR

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was well known in the pool community at the time but I don't think anybody anticipated what a legend he would become and kind of took him for granted - and he died suddenly.

My guess is the family has more pictures.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over the years, I've received a few photos from Greg and George Balabushka (the younger). These photos say they were from Greg, but I'm pretty sure George gave them to me.

Attachments

• George and Josephine.jpg
    George and Josephine.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Cisero and George.JPG
    Cisero and George.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 268

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Private guy and cameras were rare those days could be a big reason why.

Was he considered a small shop or was he very well known?